VOGONS

First post, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hello there! I recently discovered this forum and fell instantly in love with your retro PCs. I'm only 23 y.o. (yes, born in 1990) but I have spent numerous days reading about old hardware and trying to find some, as my first PC was a s478 Celeron w/ XP.

So I came into a PC with Intel 82430TX motherboard, Pentium MMX 166MHz, 2x16MB 72pin edo ram, S3 Trio 64V+ 1MB PCI VGA, Seagate Medalist 2GB HDD, a single floppy and a CD-ROM.
This is the motherboard:
mobo1_zps7f57aa35.jpg
I upgraded it some years ago with a CD-Rom, 64MB SDRAM, Fujitsu 6.4GB HDD and a Pentium 233MHz MMx. Unfortunately, the mobo died. Whatever I tried to do, it kept beeping and no signal on monitor.

But I was lucky! I found a QDi Advance 2 AT motherboard, which not only was compatible with all the rest hardware, but was fully operational and came with an AMD K6 266MHz CPU and has an AGP slot!!! It even supports ATX PSU and soft off! I even found the manual online and hand made 2 USB plugs from the onboard headers.
Here is my baby:
mobo2_zpsd5d6224d.jpg

Recently I bought for €1 a Diamond Monster 3D (3dfx Voodoo 1), so I ended up with a PC made of these:

* AMD K6-266 oced to 300MHz
* 128MB SDRAM (2x64)
* S3 Virge/DX 2MB --> upgrade from S3 Trio64V+ 1MB
* 3dfx Voodoo PCI 3D
* Seagate X Series U 20GB 5400rpm silent --> motherboard limit is 32GB
* Dual floppies
* Samsung CD-ROM
* Soundblaster Live! SB0060 (EMU 10K chip) --> Upgraded the rubbish Opti16 ISA audio card
* Windows 98SE

Enjoy it!
k6-266_zps8f3ce6b3.jpg
voodoo3d_zps9169ec83.jpg
interior_zps9fe0bb49.jpg
pc_zpsf249cfdd.jpg

Now the question!
I have an ATX socket 7 motherboard (Gigabyte GA-5AX) with an AMD K6-III 400MHz CPU.
I also have another 2x64 and 1x32MB SDRAMs, an 80GB HDD (supported by the 5AX) and an Nvidia Riva TNT2 M64 32MB AGP VGA. I also have an ISA Creative Vibra16S with Yamaha chip.
mobo3_zps22294c79.jpg
What do you suggest me to do?
Is it a good idea to have the K6-266 along with 96MB RAM and the Vibra16S and the S3 Virge 2MB for DOS gaming and the K6-III with 192MB RAM, the SB Live!, the Riva TNT2 M64 and the Voodoo for Windows games, both with Windows 98SE?
Or is not worth the hassle and I'd better combine the DOS and the Windows vintage gaming in one (the older) machine?

Thanks and please help!! 😊

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 1 of 30, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Depends on whether you have the space for two computers or not and how fond are you of dual booting? I never could get used to dual booting myself so I prefer having single OS machines.

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 2 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Now that is a nice board and one of the very best that one could desire along with the cpu but I would build it as a second rig without taking anything from the first build. Retro rigs are like potato chips, one isn't enough till one has had the whole bag. I recommend a socket A/370 era cooler and a V3 2k agp are very cheap despite current prices of 3dfx cards. With that K6-3 cachable ram limits don't apply due to the on die L2 cache, the board cache will act as a L3 but ties up a large portion of the limited FSB bandwidth.

On a far away planet reading your posts in the year 10,191.

Reply 3 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Depends on whether you have the space for two computers or not and how fond are you of dual booting? I never could get used to dual booting myself so I prefer having single OS machines.

Thanks for your answer!
I have space for 2 PCs, but I don't like dual booting that much... So what do you suggest?

nforce4max wrote:

Now that is a nice board and one of the very best that one could desire along with the cpu but I would build it as a second rig without taking anything from the first build. Retro rigs are like potato chips, one isn't enough till one has had the whole bag. I recommend a socket A/370 era cooler and a V3 2k agp are very cheap despite current prices of 3dfx cards. With that K6-3 cachable ram limits don't apply due to the on die L2 cache, the board cache will act as a L3 but ties up a large portion of the limited FSB bandwidth.

Thanks too! 😊
Heh I know that! I had in the past much hardware of thοse days (ECS P6BAT-A+, BAP-A+, Qdi Advance 5/133E, QDi Advance 10F, with Pentium III 800EB, a ton of Cellys including a Tualatin 1.2GHz), but I sold them all... I still have some s370 processors, but I don't want to buy another motherboard. Instead, I want to stick with the two I have. Unfortunately, I never had anything older. I didn't ever have the chance to sit in front of a 486 or older PC to explore it...

The first rig is built part-by-part anyway, so I don't mind mixing the hardware, as long as it is from the same era (eg. not putting them together with an IDE DVD-RW of 2010 😵 ).
Ι have an ok cooler already, but why a Voodoo 3? Riva is not enough for up to ~2000 3d gaming, along with the Voodoo1?
Unfortunately, 2xVoodoo2 in SLI are faaar out of price range... 😢

1. Athlon XP 3200+ | ASUS A7V600 | Radeon 9500 @ Pro | SB Audigy 2 ZS | 80GB IDE, 500GB SSD IDE2Sata, 2x1TB HDDs | Win 98SE, XP, Vista
2. Pentium MMX 266| Qdi Titanium IIIB | Hercules graphics & Amber monitor | 1 + 10GB HDDs | DOS 6.22, Win 3.1, 95C

Reply 4 of 30, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Imo keep only 64 ram for the first system,that should be enough for dos gaming,also keep the voodoo 1,for dos 3D accelerated games.
Put all the rest of ram into the second system,oc the k6-3 to 450 mhz,and replace the tnt2 m64 with a vodoo 3 2000,which can pe easily oc to voodoo 3 3000 frecquency,that way you'll have better performance compared with the m64 plus compatibility with glide games.
The m64 was a cheaper,slower version of the tnt2,with 64 memory bus and lower graphic and memory speed,so it has weaker performance compared with the voodoo 3.

Reply 5 of 30, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Keep both and get a 386 or 486 to round it off.

My dilemma is even worse. I have literally about 15 different systems to choose from. Of course I don't have the space to keep them all nor the time to actually use them...

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 6 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Half-Saint wrote:

My dilemma is even worse. I have literally about 15 different systems to choose from. Of course I don't have the space to keep them all nor the time to actually use them...

I used to horde a lot more than that but time and money was always a problem. The trick to it is how you arrange them and how good the environment is that you are keeping them in. I found it easier later on to just break them down and store the parts in cabinets and boxes then only pulled what I needed or was interested in using that day. For complete rigs closet space made all the difference (thank God that I am not a clothes hound). In the end I wasn't able to save any of it due to a house fire but rebuilding the collection only takes time and money.

Since I won't be able to build the project I'll just give the idea away. Basically just building a custom case from scratch that mounted a single AT style board with psu on the bottom and on the top level a single ATX style board with psu with the whole unit being a traditional desktop instead of a tower case but still possible. The drives were to be mounted in bays next to ATX board while the AT shared space with both power supplies, all the cards for the AT board would have their screw mounts poking through to the outside the case below the top level. The top level (ATX) would have the screws for addon cards mounted normally as with most case designs. Aside for the power connections and ribbon cable the whole thing would be modular with the front being removable and each board try/bay being removable through the front.

Reply 7 of 30, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have the same board in my Time-Machine 😀

It is very good. The ONLY downside I could find is being unable to disable ACPI. This means IRQ2/9 is taken and you will get a conflict with a Roland MPU401AT in combination with a PCI Sata controller.

I use a K6-III in my chip with FSB running at 66 MHz. Through software I can change the multiplier and have it run between 133 and 400 MHz. Playing with L1 and L2 cache allows you slowing it down to 386 and 486 speeds. Difference chips (Pentium, MMX, K6) will give you different performances, especially when cache is disabled. K6 is great for slow games, Pentium is also slow, Pentium MMX is quite fast, too fast for games running best on an average 386.

There are other boards that allow you changing the FSB through the BIOS, also very neat.

I have one Time-Machine PC which is the PC I always wanted for the time period I am interested in. I also have a test bench and here I can build whatever I like. Just grab the parts from the shelf and off I go. It is simply too hard / costly / inflexible to build several machines. I always end up pulling things out and testing other parts anyway.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 8 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

Imo keep only 64 ram for the first system,that should be enough for dos gaming,also keep the voodoo 1,for dos 3D accelerated games.
Put all the rest of ram into the second system,oc the k6-3 to 450 mhz,and replace the tnt2 m64 with a vodoo 3 2000,which can pe easily oc to voodoo 3 3000 frecquency,that way you'll have better performance compared with the m64 plus compatibility with glide games.
The m64 was a cheaper,slower version of the tnt2,with 64 memory bus and lower graphic and memory speed,so it has weaker performance compared with the voodoo 3.

I know, I know about the M64. I searched a bit and it seems that I can obtain a V3 2k for about 30 euros and the overclocking to 3k levels seems pretty easy as well. Thanks for the idea.

Half-Saint wrote:

That's easier said than done! Why don't you sell me some parts? 🤣

nforce4max wrote:

Since I won't be able to build the project I'll just give the idea away. Basically just building a custom case from scratch that mounted a single AT style board with psu on the bottom and on the top level a single ATX style board with psu with the whole unit being a traditional desktop instead of a tower case but still possible. The drives were to be mounted in bays next to ATX board while the AT shared space with both power supplies, all the cards for the AT board would have their screw mounts poking through to the outside the case below the top level. The top level (ATX) would have the screws for addon cards mounted normally as with most case designs. Aside for the power connections and ribbon cable the whole thing would be modular with the front being removable and each board try/bay being removable through the front.

That's interesting, but I recently built my desktop based on an ITX case, hanging down from my fairly large desk which is mounted on the wall, in order to keep things super-minimal. This is how it looks-like:
th_3-2_zps6d1aebfd.jpg

Mau1wurf1977 wrote:

I have the same board in my Time-Machine 😀
I use a K6-III in my chip with FSB running at 66 MHz. Through software I can change the multiplier and have it run between 133 and 400 MHz. Playing with L1 and L2 cache allows you slowing it down to 386 and 486 speeds. Difference chips (Pentium, MMX, K6) will give you different performances, especially when cache is disabled. K6 is great for slow games, Pentium is also slow, Pentium MMX is quite fast, too fast for games running best on an average 386.
I have one Time-Machine PC which is the PC I always wanted for the time period I am interested in. I also have a test bench and here I can build whatever I like. Just grab the parts from the shelf and off I go. It is simply too hard / costly / inflexible to build several machines. I always end up pulling things out and testing other parts anyway.

Heh thanks for the advice. I'll see it in action.
Why to do such a thing (testing parts here and there) and not use them? I had A LOT of old (but not 486-old) stuff but ended up selling them all because I didn't use them.

Reply 9 of 30, by Half-Saint

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
GeorgeMan wrote:

I know, I know about the M64. I searched a bit and it seems that I can obtain a V3 2k for about 30 euros and the overclocking to 3k levels seems pretty easy as well. Thanks for the idea.

Are you talking about an AGP Voodoo3 2000? 30€ sounds like an awful lot of money..

b15z33-2.png
f425xp-6.png

Reply 10 of 30, by sliderider

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Half-Saint wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

Are you talking about an AGP Voodoo3 2000? 30€ sounds like an awful lot of money..

Agreed. AGP Voodoo3 2k cards are common. PCI are less common but for 30 Euros I'd expect to get a 3k card, not a 2k in PCI.

Reply 11 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:
GeorgeMan wrote:

So you say not to bid on this? I don't find anything cheaper... 😢 It's agp.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/3dfx-Interactive-210- … =item20d6ce791a

It's about 21 euros if he accepts the offer.
Or stick with the M64 till I find a Voodoo at a good price?

Reply 12 of 30, by Nahkri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'd say stick with the m64 till u find a cheaper voodoo 3 2000,i bought mine with about 7 euros,altough not from ebay,but some local ebay style website,usualy buying from your own country means cheaper prices and cheaper transport.
Another option,if no cheaper voodoo 3 2000 or 3000 pops up on ebay,is to replace the tnt 2 m64 with a tnt 2 pro or ultra,it wont have glide compatibility,but it will have a lot better performance then the m64.

Reply 13 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Nahkri wrote:

I'd say stick with the m64 till u find a cheaper voodoo 3 2000,i bought mine with about 7 euros,altough not from ebay,but some local ebay style website,usualy buying from your own country means cheaper prices and cheaper transport.
Another option,if no cheaper voodoo 3 2000 or 3000 pops up on ebay,is to replace the tnt 2 m64 with a tnt 2 pro or ultra,it wont have glide compatibility,but it will have a lot better performance then the m64.

Thanks. Now it's time to find an old ATX case+PSU for the 2nd build! 🤣

Reply 15 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Half-Saint wrote:

Fun fact: picked up an unidentified Creative gfx card this weekend. Turned out to be a 32MB TNT2 Ultra!

Damn u 😜
The second build has received an update, see here: What mobo to choose for retro build & VGA advice!
I got all of them for 5 euros, the QDi/ PIII 800 / 2x128MB SDR for 1 euro, the PIII 1000 / Intel mobo for 3 euros and the GF4 MX4000 for another 1€.

So i'm searching for an appropriate card for it.

Reply 16 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Is there any way for the K6-III to function on the Qdi Advance II?
I put it in, the PC works, but in the BIOS the CPU is not recognised, so it feeds it with 3,2 volts!
Unfortunately, it's a jumperless mobo, so I cannot lower it more than ~3v. With the K6, I can provide 2,0-2,4v properly.

Reply 17 of 30, by nforce4max

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

For a first gen k6-3 it will work but not certain about the newer 180nm K6-3+, drop one in and you won't have to worry about cachable limits so you can go for the moon ram wise.

Reply 19 of 30, by GeorgeMan

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It's a k6-3 400, 250nm, not a k6-3+. The pc starts, but i'm gonna fry it at 3+ volts! Not properly recognised (and the l2 cache not sure if working, because as I said it was gonna get fried! About bios version I'll inform you later.
What is possible to do to supply it with the right voltage? The mobo can surely provide 2,4 volts and has multi adjust, but all soft, complete jumperless design damn it!