VOGONS

First post, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

SDS2 Project

Hey guys. I've always been interested in dual processor motherboards and now I've got the retro bug I decided to have a scout on ebay for anything.

I spotted a brand new Intel SDS2 Motherboard in its original box, never used. The bloke who ran the auction also put up a small video of the board. I managed to get it for.... £6 (£1 bid, £5 postage) which I was pleased with! 😊

So parts, I've got a Motherboard but I need the rest.

The Case

I work in IT and built a server for a client of mine back in 2006 in a Antec Titan. Mid-way through last year I replaced and decommissioned it. Since then its been sitting in a store room. I decided to dig it out as It would be perfect for the SDS2 Build! It has a Antec 550w PSU in with the +12 plug for the motherboard.

Its pretty clean, has a couple of scratches on the top but other than that just needed a little clean. He she is, all clean!

2beknl.jpg

538twp.jpg

The Motherboard

I know what your thinking, Its got no AGP. Your right but it was £6! I plan to get a decent-ish PCI, either a Geforce 6200 or a FX5500 soon.
The board is as advertised brand new. It still has that new hardware smell. The box has only been opened for the auction.

110hpw5.jpg

el4mld.jpg

bezyoz.jpg

2m3s19f.jpg

The Build

Motherboard fitted. I replaced the rear case fan with a spare I had.

s28m7m.jpg

Onto the CPUs. I bought a couple of 1.4Ghz Intel Pentium III Tualatin processors with original heatsink and fans. The Heatsink and fans were like they had never been used!

I cleaned the CPUs and applied some Artic Silver 5

34oapvd.jpg

Can't beat that dual processor heatsink/fan look 😀 😀

1zmpeg9.jpg

I bought 2x512mb ECC Registered RAM from the bay, cost me £6. I plan to add more. Just want to make everything works first.

117zsao.jpg

On to the first boot. This is where I started to have problems...

16709y.jpg

When the power button was pressed none of the fans sprung into life, instead the board was bleeping at me 1-5-4-4 * I think however after leaving it for 1 minute it all sprang into life.

Everytime I turned the machine off, the same thing happened. It almost needed to be un-plugged, re-plugged wait for two lots of beeps then it would power on. I've just swapped Power supplies, I've connected a 500w Seasonic and it boots up first time. Fingers crossed this has fixed it.

She lives!

u7nlt.jpg

Currently I have a DVD-RW drive and a Samsung 160Gb IDE Hard drive connected. I'm hoping I can pickup a SCSI drive before the weekend so I can I have a proper play! Will keep you updated!

Edit :- Just installed Windows XP Pro before I go to bed. It runs well and is very snappy as you would expect for a new installation. I had to boot into VGA mode as I think the O/B Rage XL was trying to match my 22" monitors native resolution which resulted in "out of sync"

29n6vso.jpg

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 1 of 40, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

While it may have been the PSU giving you trouble on boot-up, I just thought I'd add: I've seen other Intel-brand boards do the same thing when they detect power-loss (which, being brand new, is how it'd "start") - they want to beep and then "restart" or otherwise throw up errors even when all the hardware is fine. Usually a BIOS update addresses it.

Very nice build overall, and it will be cool to see it expanded into a gaming monster. Out of curiosity, have you considered a PCI-X videocard (like a Parhelia)?

Reply 2 of 40, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, I'll monitor the PSU. Since I swapped over to the Seasonic I didn't have any issues starting up.

I've not considered any PCI-X cards, what are they like? I did a quick search on ebay which returned very few all of which were over £100, ebay seems to just pull through PCI-E 16x items. Any models to look out for?

Cyrix Instead Build, 6x86 166+ | 32mb SD | 4mb S3 Virge DX | Creative AWE64 | Win95
ATC-S PIII Tualatin Win9x Build :- ATC-S PIII Coppermine Win9x Build Log [WIP] **Photo Heavy**

Reply 3 of 40, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
foey wrote:

Yeah, I'll monitor the PSU. Since I swapped over to the Seasonic I didn't have any issues starting up.

I've not considered any PCI-X cards, what are they like? I did a quick search on ebay which returned very few all of which were over £100, ebay seems to just pull through PCI-E 16x items. Any models to look out for?

IIRC there's not many PCI-X cards out there - I know Matrox made a Parhelia for PCI-X, and if I remember right there's a FireGL Z1/X1 variant on PCI-X as well (that's a Radeon 9500/9700 family part). PCI-X certainly has the bandwidth to do it, so they should be similar to their AGP or AGP Pro counterparts. Should still be better than a straight PCI card like an FX 5200 though. 😀 And yeah, a lot of stuff will show PCI-E because heaps of folks believe its "PCI eXpress" or whatever else... 😒

Reply 4 of 40, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I LOVE THIS BOARD!

If your going to "game" on this board, i'd suggest a pci version of the voodoo 5. Find a MAC version and flash it for intel. It should still run @ 66mhz on the pci bus.

A long time ago, I had this board with 6gb of ram. I wanted to put 3x voodoo 5's into it and do a tri-monitor quake3 setup. Sadly I ended up selling the board. I do buy Tyan's version later and I have it on my shelf.

as for memory, here is a deal on 6x 1gb sticks of ram: http://www.ebay.com/itm/301211546733

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 5 of 40, by LunarG

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Very nice looking system. There have been quite a few people doing dual tully systems on here recently and I'm so envious. It would be awesome trying to build a day-to-day web-browsing/youtube/watching videos/playing music system based on some older hardware like this. How does a system like this cope with video playback in VLC?

Congrats on an awesome system 😀

WinXP : PIII 1.4GHz, 512MB RAM, 73GB SCSI HDD, Matrox Parhelia, SB Audigy 2.
Win98se : K6-3+ 500MHz, 256MB RAM, 80GB HDD, Matrox Millennium G400 MAX, Voodoo 2, SW1000XG.
DOS6.22 : Intel DX4, 64MB RAM, 1.6GB HDD, Diamond Stealth64 DRAM, GUS 1MB, SB16.

Reply 6 of 40, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Thanks Guys

A couple more updates this evening, its turning into a proper usable machine now!

First off, I replaced the Power Supply from the Antec which was giving me bleeps before booting. The Power supply is a Seasonic S12 500w.

15s5542.jpg

I've installed a sound card which someone gave me from a old system, not sure if any good - Terratec Aureon 7.1. I also fitted a SATA RAID Controller card, I've had it since 2004 and was in my Athlon XP System, I've added two 80Gb WD SATA Drives and configured for RAID 0.

34gt2du.jpg

Not bad for a SATA1 controller, running 2x80Gb WDs

25iw7sj.jpg

Need to tidy up the wires a little but its getting there...

24x3t01.jpg

Have to say this thing is rapid! I've installed a couple of bits and its very responsive. Unsure if I should install SP3 along with some updates. Its crying out for a decent graphics card, the 4mb Rage XL is dire! I'm tempted to put in my Voodoo 3 2000 PCI Card.

Reply 7 of 40, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Voodoo3 couldn't hurt, even as a temporary solution - I do like LuckyBob's idea with 3x5500s!

As far as SP3, I'd be hesitant - I remember it increasing memory footprint and removing some legacy stuff all at once. I don't recall it being any slower or faster, just that it uses more resources (it runs more stuff in background) - if you have tons of memory (2GB+) it probably wouldn't hurt anything. If you aren't going online with this build, I'd probably just leave it with SP2 working and be done with it.

Reply 8 of 40, by Unknown_K

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are Matrix Parhelia PCI cards as well that work in the 64 bit PCI slots.

1000x1000.jpg

Collector of old computers, hardware, and software

Reply 9 of 40, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been looking at graphics cards this morning.

It would be fantastic getting a Voodoo 5, however they are hard to come by now and don't fancy spending a fortune on one. Back in 2007 I had one of them which a friend gave me. I think used it to upgrade someones machine 😒

The Matrox cards look like a bit of a mixed bag for games. All of the cards on the PCI-X interface are very expensive

I'm tempted to get the following to see how quick games can run. I think this is probably the quickest PCI card?

Zotac GT 610 512MB GDDR3 DVI VGA HDMI PCI Graphics Card

- Nvidia GeForce GT 610 GPU
- 512MB GDDR3 Memory
- DVI VGA HDMI Outputs
- PCI Interface

Your thoughts guys?

Reply 10 of 40, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If I remember right gandhig (hopefully I'm spelling that right) has reported numerous issues with a PCI version of a newer nVidia card, I forget if it was a 5xx or 6xx board though. Might be worth a quick search.

As far as a quick PCI card, the fastest "native" card I'm aware of is the Quadro FX 600 PCI, but something like the GT 610 should probably be faster in theory. I don't know if you'd realize much of that though - most of the newer cards' advantages will be with shader performance in newer titles, which will be hung-up by the Pentium IIIs, PCI interface, etc more than anything else.

Reply 11 of 40, by zstandig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I was in a similar position (maxing out pentium iii era hardware, though not nearly as glorious as that board) anyway, if I was in your shoes, knowing what I know now I would save up and bite the bullet for a PCI-X card. A while ago I bought a zotac 430(?) PCI card, having a fit of the giggles, you know, 🤣 I gonna have a pentium 3 with hdmi, usb2, sata, etc.

Anyway, long story short I was never able to get the damned thing to work, it just would not function. Thing is those cards were made for really low end modern boards that have PCI, or something like that. I don't think zotac made them to cater to the "I'm gonna push this ancient dinosaur as far as it can go" crowd.

So the card I have in there now is a Jaton branded radeon 9000(?) PCI. It was either that or my Geforce 6(?), but I went with my Radeon because it has 1GB of RAM, twice as much as the geforce....and twice as much as the computer itself.

Reply 13 of 40, by gandhig

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
obobskivich wrote:

If I remember right gandhig has reported numerous issues with a PCI version of a newer nVidia card, I forget if it was a 5xx or 6xx board though. Might be worth a quick search.
As far as a quick PCI card, the fastest "native" card I'm aware of is the Quadro FX 600 PCI, but something like the GT 610 should probably be faster in theory. I don't know if you'd realize much of that though - most of the newer cards' advantages will be with shader performance in newer titles, which will be hung-up by the Pentium IIIs, PCI interface, etc more than anything else.

I was actually controlling myself not to post in this thread as my GT520 PCI was longingly looking at those PCI-X slots, the reverse PCI bridge being 66MHz capable(but not 133 MHz or whatever the latest PCI-X version defines) and is also not 64 bit capable. However feipoa had earlier mentioned that in one instance, it was not always a happy understanding between the PCI graphics card and the PCI-X slot.

I may deserve it if someone in this forum wants to have a go at me for bearing with my GT520 fiasco till now 😵 . Warning: But I can't take responsibility for whatever follows, as my hand has been forced 🤣 .

Here we go. Due to the onboard reverse PCI bridge in modern GPU's, there is a definite penalty in performance especially in older systems(which is more prominent before P4) compared to a native PCI based graphics card. I can't be 100% sure however as there may be some role of the nvidia driver(not optimized for this setup)in it, but the end result is what matters. If the OP has enough patience, he can check this thread wherein joint testing/inputs by SPBHM, feipoa, Standard Def Steve, d1stortion, swaaye, kithylin and many others has proved it sufficiently.

IMO, even though these old 5 or 6 series Geforce cards are native PCI, the GT520/610 or even better the GT430 PCI should be much faster in a system with more juice(like the OP's dual Tualatin) by means of its modern architecture especially in modern games. Importantly if the OP wants to play games upto 2001-02 he would be better off going for a old series native PCI graphics card that involves no risk. However if he gets greedy and wants to stretch that to slightly more modern gaming upto say 2005-06 and HD video/flash acceleration, he may atleast benefit from the modern GT430, if not GT520/610 PCI. The resolution sweet spot for this GT520 PCI card (or) PCI bus (o)r both seems to be 1024x768(not much fps hit) which obviously depends upon the game complexity,coding and other features too. Hence it can't be generalized and just an observation. Below is a chart showing performance that can be expected of GT520 PCI in different capacity systems:

3dMark01 Comparison.png
Filename
3dMark01 Comparison.png
File size
39.52 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Another thing is that my case was slightly different in that my P3 is relatively underpowered coupled with the probability that the 'VIA' chipset's PCI bus implementation is not upto the mark. The missing hub architecture between the north-south bridges might have played a role too. So the OP's case seems to be on the better side, but obviously no miracle can be expected.

The Zotac GT 610 PCI is just a rebrand of the GT 520 PCI(6+1+0 = 5+2+0 = 7, it's the same 😎 )

obobskivich wrote:

gandhig (hopefully I'm spelling that right)

I can totally understand that due to the cultural divide 🤣 . No prizes for guessing the namesake.

Dosbox SVN r4019 + savestates Build (Alpha)
1st thread & the only one related to the forum(?)...warning about modern-retro combo
Dead, but, Personal Favourite
Replacement for Candy Crush...Train the Brain

Reply 15 of 40, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I still think a trio of voodoo 5's is the way to go.

I think you're really onto something - sure it'd be utter madness, but it'd be AWESOME. 😁 One question I have though, and I'll admit I'm not extremely familiar with the relevant 3dfx hardware before asking: would there be an issue with Windows and having 6 GPUs with such a configuration? I know that WindowsXP won't work properly with >4 GPUs (I've confirmed this with nVidia cards in SLI) - it does all sorts of weird stuff when you start it up (basically nothing will work until you get it back down to 4 GPUs or less). But would the trio of dual-chip 3dfx cards actually be counted as six, or only as three, or would it even be a problem to begin with? 😕

Reply 17 of 40, by obobskivich

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
luckybob wrote:

I know in win98, it supported 9 monitors. I can't imagine 2000 (what you should use) would be less.

[edited with better information]

Did a bit of searching - XP has a soft limit of 10 displays, but third-party software like UltraMon, DisplayFusion, PowerDesk, etc can exceed that. See here:
http://www.realtimesoft.com/multimon/faq.asp#MaxMon

Keep in mind that some Matrox and Samsung solutions (and maybe others, I don't know) will "hide" the true number of physical monitors from the system and present very large logical displays that are actually represented through multiple physical displays (the TripleHead2Go is an example).

GPU-wise I've never gotten more than 4 to work in XP, with nVidia cards (I don't have the relevant 5+ ATi or 3DLabs cards to test with another mfgr) - adding another videocard made the system very unstable/unusable, but removing that card and all was well again. 😦 The only reason I bring it up is if it would cause problems with triple dual-GPU cards (like the 5500); if Windows "sees" each card as a single GPU/renderer/card then it won't matter, but if it "sees" each card as two GPUs/renderers/cards (like it does with the GeForce 7950GX2) it may matter. However, in theory, with this triple-head setup you really wouldn't need the "slave" cards to be the same as the "master" since likely only one board is doing the rendering, so you could have a 5 5500 as the main card and a pair of 4500s or whatever-you-like as the additional boards. This assumes you have some nifty way of getting the 5500 to render to 3 displays (SoftTH requires DX9, I'm guessing Matrox's hardware is unsupported for 3dfx drivers/hardware, but there's probably some specific games (especially sims) that should work fine).

Don't get me wrong - I still think it's an awesome idea to have multiple 5500s in one machine, I'm just curious exactly how/if it'd work out at the end of the day.

Unrelated:

I did a bit of looking for PCI-X/PCI cards and found these, which I don't know anything about:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BarMed-Coronis-KM5700 … d-/111379333276
http://www.ebay.com/itm/BarcoMed-Coronis-Barc … d-/370833632617

Supposedly they'll do 2560x2048 though.

And I found this too:
http://www.ebay.com/itm/MATROX-MDP-2MP-S01-0E … D-/131212773600

Reply 18 of 40, by foey

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I have some bad news!

Ever since building the machine its been hard to boot. Taking a couple of times to boot up.

Power on, fans spin up - nothing on the screen, Hold Power button ~ 5 seconds, fans power down, Power on fans spin up then the board normally posts. Towards the end of last week it took two power ons and power off.

Now it refuses to boot. Power it on, fans spin up, no beeps, no power light no post. Nothing on the screen.

I've tried reverting back to the other power supply, but gives me the same 1-5-4-4 beeps which I've read is a Power control fault. The Seasonic gives me no beeps.

I've pulled the board out of the case, connected just the Monitor and PSU and still the same. I have no other RAM to try, I suppose that could be the only other thing? But when it boots, its been rock solid working without any issues.

Any ideas guys? 😢