VOGONS

First post, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So after dismantling the WinXP machine I had an empty case laying around. At the same time I was somewhat unhappy with my 350Mhz PII Netfinity machine as it still required alot of tweaking to work with older games (and the BIOS not letting me disable the cache was a killer). To this end I decided to break that one down too and use the spare case to build a Pentium 133 machine. In some ways its a time machine style system , in other ways not so much.

Cooler Master Wave case , obviously a very odd case to house a Pentium build, but its what I have and it looks pretty cool, made of aluminium too.
Antec TP3-550 PSU - again way overkill for this system , but it seems to work just fine, saves me having to go and get another one (sadly the IBM PSU was an odd shape and wouldn't fit in a standard case)
Gateway Motherboard - unusual , but I found this Gateway branded socket 7 board from 1997 , has 512kb of cache and uses the 430TX chipset. Also uses SDRAM which is nice, and is a standard ATX board with USB.
Pentium 133 - Didn't want something too slow to play games like C&C or Duke3D , but didn't want something too fast , I figured this was a good balance.
64Mb SDRAM
Matrox Mystique 220 - It was either this or the Rendition Verite , for the sake of simplicity I chose the Matrox, maybe at a later point I will swap it out but given the Rendition's issues with some games like Doom , Im not too sure.
Diamond Monster 3D - For the couple of early Glide games that hate the later Voodoos.
SB AWE64G and Ensoniq Soundscape for sound
Mitsumi 24X CD RW Drive

For hard drives I wanted a single larger hard drive , but given it was unlikely anything like that would work on this board, I opted to use a Promise TX2 Ultra100 ATA100 I got from a Compaq Workstation that couldn't be saved along with a 74GB Seagate Barracuda HDD (partitioned into 2 32GB partitions , with some wasted obviously)

OS of choice is Windows 95

Right now Im busy copying the backed up data I plan to use onto the computer, so I can only show some of the build pictures for now

IMG_20141117_132403005_zps1a2b84a9.jpg

Forgot the ATA100 card in this pic, but its installed.

IMG_20141117_153002945_zpsf1e72397.jpg

The heatsink for the CPU doesn't have a fan , but its a pretty big heatsink , not to mention the passive cooling in this case of 2 front, 1 rear and 1 PSU fans , which sould keep this build at a good temprature
and yes I plan to sort out the cables a bit better once everything is set up properly.

IMG_20141117_153951634_zps3389dfc1.jpg

OS and driver/chipset installation went fine, so its just mainly copying over backed up saves and such.

Last edited by Darkman on 2014-11-18, 00:34. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 7, by tayyare

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Looks handsome..😁

GA-6VTXE PIII 1.4+512MB
Geforce4 Ti 4200 64MB
Diamond Monster 3D 12MB SLI
SB AWE64 PNP+32MB
120GB IDE Samsung/80GB IDE Seagate/146GB SCSI Compaq/73GB SCSI IBM
Adaptec AHA29160
3com 3C905B-TX
Gotek+CF Reader
MSDOS 6.22+Win 3.11/95 OSR2.1/98SE/ME/2000

Reply 2 of 7, by meisterister

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice! That case looks awesome! Do they still sell cases like that, or are they all boring now 😠 ?

Seeing this topic brought back some fond memories of playing with my first PC-Compatible, except for that mine was an MMX (not that I could really tell the difference). It looks like that kind of CPU was somewhat common in the laptops of the day, but I haven't seen a 133 MHz desktop before.

Dual Katmai Pentium III (450 and 600MHz), 512ish MB RAM, 40 GB HDD, ATI Rage 128 | K6-2 400MHz / Pentium MMX 166, 80MB RAM, ~2GB Quantum Bigfoot, Awful integrated S3 graphics.

Reply 3 of 7, by JayCeeBee64

User metadata
Rank Retired
Rank
Retired

Neat build Darkman. The black case makes it look different and unique.

I believe my sister's husband had a P133 back in late 1996 just before he started dating her. It had an Intel 430VX motherboard, 32mb EDO ram, S3 Trio 2mb PCI video card along with a Diamond Monster 3D, Adaptec SCSI card with Quantum 6gb hard drive and Plextor CD-RW, and SB16, all in a full tower AT case. It finally died in late 1998 when he tried his hand at overclocking and somehow ended up burning out the CPU, power supply and motherboard. It was replaced with an Asus 440BX board with a P2-450.

Ooohh, the pain......

Reply 4 of 7, by soviet conscript

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The Matrox is a decent DOS card and a good pairing with the Voodoo. the Rendition has horrible 2d DOS performance. when I was benchmarking a bunch of video cards awhile back on a 120mhz Pentium machine the Rendition was getting beat by ISA cards on a lot of stuff like DOOM.

Reply 5 of 7, by DataPro

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

For a P166 Mhz, the ventirad is not necessary (it's not what I read in magazines at this time). Most of the time, Pentium ventirad are very noisy. When I did only bureautic tasks, I removed it to have a silent machine (with CF card replacing old and noisy HDD).
Now I've decided to play again and I put a big (80mm) slow fan before the processor and memory, to activate air flux.

HP Vectra 562 P166Mhz/256Ko L2 cache/Triton 430FX - 112Mo RAM - 2x 32Go+64Go CF Card - Matrox G2 8Mo - SB AWE64 ISA (PnP) + Roland MT-32 & M-GS64 (SC-88) & JV-1010 - Nec USB 2.0 PCI - Promise Ultra100 TX2 - Hama multicard reader

Reply 7 of 7, by Darkman

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks everyone, I did make one change to this system, that being the power supply.

The reason being is that the system was randomly shutting down, after which it wouldn't power on until I unplugged the power cord and plugged it in again. I was initially worried that it might be another broken board, but then I decided to swap this Antec PSU for the Enermax 350w PSU I use in my Athlon1400 machine. And the random shutdowns stopped.

On the other hand when I used the Antec in my Athlon 1400 machine, surprise, surprise, it would initially refuse to boot into Windows (kind of just hanged there) and when I pressed the reset button , it just gave me a blank unresponsive screen until I shut the computer off completely , eventually I got it to work (and this has never happened with this machine) , so it may well be the PSU is faulty, may well be the cause for some of the issues when it was running an XP machine. Will probably get a replacement PSU for either machine, probably an Enermax or Seasonic.

Still other than that the P133 machine works great.

Nice! That case looks awesome! Do they still sell cases like that, or are they all boring now 😠 ?

Indeed alot of higher end cases now trade solid build quality for things like more airflow or better cable management, while also looking as cheesy as possible .

believe my sister's husband had a P133 back in late 1996 just before he started dating her. It had an Intel 430VX motherboard, 32mb EDO ram, S3 Trio 2mb PCI video card along with a Diamond Monster 3D, Adaptec SCSI card with Quantum 6gb hard drive and Plextor CD-RW, and SB16, all in a full tower AT case. It finally died in late 1998 when he tried his hand at overclocking and somehow ended up burning out the CPU, power supply and motherboard. It was replaced with an Asus 440BX board with a P2-450.

Sounds very similar to the first PC I owned, minus the SCSI hard drive and 3DFX card and probably a 166Mhz Pentium.

I actually do have a SCSI card I could use, but I only have 2 4GB SCSI hard drives to use with it, which isn't enough space. my Athlon1400 has a 300GB SCSI Seagate which is nice though

The Matrox is a decent DOS card and a good pairing with the Voodoo. the Rendition has horrible 2d DOS performance. when I was benchmarking a bunch of video cards awhile back on a 120mhz Pentium machine the Rendition was getting beat by ISA cards on a lot of stuff like DOOM.

that was the reasoning. I tried Doom with the Rendition card (this is the V2100) and a PII 350Mhz, and it crawled, not unplayable, but it was struggling to hit 15 frames most times. Now of course the Matrox has some issues with Commander Keen and Jazz Jackrabbit, but we will see, I do have ATI Rage cards but they are AGP , MIght be worth tracking down a PCI based Rage II or Pro , which as far as Ive seen has fewer compatibility issues, and has a pretty sharp output.

Since I don't want to let the Rendition card go to waste, I might put it in my other machine as a secondary graphics card just for the Rendition based games, the Audigy in that machine should be ok since alot of those games don't use the FM or Midi capabilities of the Sound Blasters.