VOGONS

First post, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I came across a nice XT motherboard I got as part of a large retro PC haul a few months ago...it originally resided in a large (wide) XT/AT combo, wanna be IBM PC Clone style desktop case that smelled of cigarette smoke.

It is a really cool case though and it even had the "flip-top" style of opening, so after extracting all the nice XT innards from it (XT motherboard, 8 bit MFM Controller, MFM Hard Drive, and FDD Controller), and cleaning it thoroughly, I put it aside in storage to use for another build. The case was cool and all, but was too wide to stack neatly and line up with my other desktop retro PC's (i.e. my 386, 486, PI, PII, and PIII), and more importantly, it did not have a proper front mounted turbo button. Since this XT m/b has a turbo function for 8MHz/4.7MHz operation, I for sure wanted to take advantage of it without having to reach in the back to flick a switch (which it did have originally) to do this.

I know this is very picky of me, but I wanted my only XT build I have ever done to be special and be able to stack properly on my other retro desktop systems as I will be looking to use it a lot. So I put all my XT parts aside until I could find a desktop case that could fit the bill and be worthy of my only XT motherboard I own (except of course for my 8 tandy 1000's I own, but those don't count in my books as standard XT clones of the time).

I thought I would be waiting forever to find just the right case, and all of a sudden, surprisingly, an old XT/AT case turned up at my local electronics recycler. It was lucky that I found it, because I think it was just about ready to be recycled for metal scrap. I went there to pick up some items I won on eBay and there it was sitting in a pile in the back room and I could make out a green LED display and a beige plastic and metal box with my name on it. I right away offered to buy it and luckily the manager there agreed I could. Gave him $10 and I was on my way home carrying an old beige box (with a huge grin on my face) that may as well have been gold for me.

I was further pleased when I found out there were no cracks in the plastic and the metal was as solid as...well...metal. Also, as another small bonus, I measured the case dimensions and I was amazed and very happy to find out it was the same exact dimensions as my other desktop PC cases that I am intending to stack this on.

I proceeded to find a nice 386 m/b in it, but it wasn't too special...certainly not as special as my XT board that I quickly ascertained would fit into this beauty of a case. I removed the 386 parts from the case and went on to transfer all my XT parts into this new found case after I gave it a good cleaning and removed all the stickers and ugly yellow case badge it had on there originally.

XT system0.jpg
Filename
XT system0.jpg
File size
290.38 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
XT system8.jpg
Filename
XT system8.jpg
File size
411.19 KiB
Views
File license
XT system9.jpg
Filename
XT system9.jpg
File size
274.21 KiB
Views
File license

This is the case my board originally was found in:

old case.jpg
Filename
old case.jpg
File size
158.88 KiB
Views
File license

...and this is the 8088 XT motherboard:

XT BOARD-1.jpg
Filename
XT BOARD-1.jpg
File size
4.61 MiB
Views
File license

*EDIT: For anyone interested, this is the link to the PDF manual for my exact board. Thank goodness it was available, because I suck at figuring out jumpers and what they all do.
http://www.minuszerodegrees.net/manuals/Turbo … ion%20Guide.pdf

Last edited by retrofanatic on 2015-10-09, 00:14. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

The XT motherboard came with 640K RAM and an NEC V20 chip, and an empty socket where the 8087 math coprocessor fits (I hope to get one for this soon...I may have one in one of my Tandy 1000's that I could test).

Overall, the board was in great shape, but kept giving me a "Bad Keyboard" error when I originally tested it. Damn...I almost forgot that I needed an XT compatible keyboard! Well, I went into my stash of old retro gear and found one of my IBM Model M's. I heard that those sometimes work on XT's, so I gave it a try. Well I still got the bad keyboard error. Then I remembered reading somewhere here on Vogons that the keylock circuit sometimes has reverse logic and will unlock the keyboard only if the keylock is locked not unlocked (or I could have just shorted the jumper pin too), but either way, I used a screwdriver to turn the keylock on and voila! the keyboard worked! So whoever it was here on Vogons that mentioned the thing about reverse logic...thanks.

Anyways, as I mentioned I cleaned my 'new' case piece by piece. After all, it wasn't in perfect shape and had some fine scratches and black marks everywhere and it was a bit yellow. I did a bit of retrobright treatment on the front plastic part using my bottle of hair developer and also cleaned everything with a mr. clean magic eraser and soap and water and . I also removed all the stickers from the back of it. I prefer the plain steel look without all the homemade labels and manufacturer label and such (unless it's an OEM system). I still need to find a case badge, but I'm thinking I might just make one. But all in all, it looks pretty good I think.

Moving on, I took apart the power supply and was surprised to not find much dust in there, so I just gave it a little compressed gas treatment, cleaned the chrome metal and moved on to install the P/S back in the case.

XT system5.jpg
Filename
XT system5.jpg
File size
550.89 KiB
Views
File license
XT system4.jpg
Filename
XT system4.jpg
File size
560.58 KiB
Views
File license

Then I installed the motherboard with plastic and two metal standoffs.

XT system7.jpg
Filename
XT system7.jpg
File size
525.72 KiB
Views
File license

After, I installed the Seagate ST-238-R MFM hard drive in the bottom of the 3 5.25" bay (the internal one, leaving 2 5.25" bays open) and hooked up all the cables to the 8 bit controller.

I did the same with an old Chinon 5.25" FDD I had and hooked that up to the 8 bit FDD controller.

XT system6.jpg
Filename
XT system6.jpg
File size
675.86 KiB
Views
File license

I did some initial tests using an old OAK 16-bit VGA card that worked in the 8 bit slot and everything booted fine into DOS 6.0 and the turbo function works great! I tried a couple games already and there is a noticeable slowdown and speedup "on the fly" as I switched the turbo on and off.

So that's as far as I got so far and will be working on it more in the next couple of weeks I hope.

XT system1-2.jpg
Filename
XT system1-2.jpg
File size
188.04 KiB
Views
File license

I will keep posting my progress here and hope to have this done soon.

My plans for it include:
- installing a color matched 3.5" FDD
- installing my adlib soundcard for sound and maybe another soundcard (SB maybe?) ....anyone have any suggestions?
- installing a Roland MPU-401 intelligent interface card for MIDI sound
- maybe one day down the road investing the time and money into XT-IDE solution
- adjusting jumpers on LED readout to show "8" and "4.7"
- getting an 8088 coprocessor
- testing various CGA and EGA cards as I want to use this system exclusively in CGA and/or EGA and not VGA

I don't want to go too crazy with upgrades as I will want to keep this XT build for games of the CGA and EGA genre. For newer DOS games, I will use my 286 up to P4 systems.

Last edited by retrofanatic on 2015-10-09, 00:15. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 2 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are some more pics...(not too interesting)

the back of the case, with and without the stickers and homemade labels...

XT system2-1.jpg
Filename
XT system2-1.jpg
File size
313.45 KiB
Views
File license
XT system2-2.jpg
Filename
XT system2-2.jpg
File size
369.91 KiB
Views
File license

Other pics...

XT system3.jpg
Filename
XT system3.jpg
File size
750.56 KiB
Views
File license
XT system1.jpg
Filename
XT system1.jpg
File size
365.72 KiB
Views
File license

More pictures to come including testing on CGA / EGA monitor and with 3.5" FDD and soundcard(s) and other parts installed...Thanks for looking.

Reply 3 of 27, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow that case looks almost brand new by the time you're done with it!

What are all those empty sockets on the XT motherboard, apart from the copro one? It almost looks like you can plug expansion ROMs directly onto the motherboard? That would be an interesting/handy feature if it were possible!

Reply 4 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

very nice!
it seems late 2015 is becoming the XT year 🤣 🤣 🤣

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
keropi wrote:

very nice!
it seems late 2015 is becoming the XT year 🤣 🤣 🤣

🤣 very true! I actually have been looking to build a decent XT machine for many years now, it just happened that it was now during the '2015 Vogons XT Renaissance' 🤣 🤣

@keropi - I really like how your Acer 500+ XT system is turning out BTW, that's an awesome setup so far!

Malvineous wrote:

Wow that case looks almost brand new by the time you're done with it!

Yeah, I'm happy with how it turned out so far. I'm going to put a lot of effort into cable management as well, so it should look good inside and out when I'm all done.

Malvineous wrote:

What are all those empty sockets on the XT motherboard, apart from the copro one? It almost looks like you can plug expansion ROMs directly onto the motherboard? That would be an interesting/handy feature if it were possible!

Those sockets are certainly for some sort of ROMs but I am not sure for what exactly. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

Reply 7 of 27, by Malvineous

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
retrofanatic wrote:

Those sockets are certainly for some sort of ROMs but I am not sure for what exactly. If anyone can shed some light on this, it would be much appreciated.

If my calculations are correct, then 640kB conventional memory will sit between segments 0000 and 9000. Expansion ROMs were designed to sit above this, so that would put the start of this area at A000. Your board has six sockets, which could put them at A000, B000, C000, D000, E000 and F000. The last one has a chip in it, and since the BIOS normally sits at F000, this would appear to make sense.

So in theory if you got a 64kB ROM and stuck it in the first slot, its contents would appear at A000. Interesting!

I wonder whether you could flash DOS onto an EEPROM and put it in there so you could boot the machine entirely from ROM? It looks like you might only have D000 and E000 to play with as the other segments are used by the video card (except for CGA/MDA which doesn't use A000), so I guess it depends on whether you can fit everything DOS needs to boot into 128kB.

Reply 8 of 27, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Man, retrofanatic you always do such a good job cleaning up your cases. I start off with good intentions but get to excited about getting he thing up and running.
I totally get wanting to keep your stack nice and tidy. part of me wants a nice clean line of similar cases with, part of me likes having different cases for different reasons, again I couldn't wait knowing I have a perfectly good system in storage just cause of the case.

Reply 9 of 27, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Regarding the soundcard, there is no need IMHO to install both an AdLib and a SB... just install a 8bit SB and you'll have AdLib working too. I will be using a CT1320C with CMS chips with my XT.
Midi is a plus , you need an mpu in there! 😁
Also totally agree on the CGA/EGA decision, vga is nice but we have a billion other systems that are vga-capable. I'll be sticking to the IBM CGA I got for my XT build.

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 10 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
keropi wrote:

Regarding the soundcard, there is no need IMHO to install both an AdLib and a SB...

I don't think it's even possible, because they both have an OPL2-chip fixed at address 388h, so you'd get a conflict.

http://scalibq.wordpress.com/just-keeping-it- … ro-programming/

Reply 11 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

I don't think it's even possible, because they both have an OPL2-chip fixed at address 388h, so you'd get a conflict.

In practice, having multiples of the same OPL type in a system doesn't really present much of a conflict. There's the duplication of FM sound from the similarly-addressed cards to deal with, which some folks seem to find desirable, but not much of a read component to be concerned with otherwise.

Last edited by Cloudschatze on 2015-10-09, 19:41. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 12 of 27, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Scali wrote:

AFAIK it is possible because the cards just "listen" to the address. So both cards will play at the same time. I'm not sure but it is a benefit of how the original AdLib was designed.

Sound Blasters do hog their other base addresses like 220h, so if another card is placed there it will conflict. Creative probably did this on purpose. OPL chips on Sound Blasters can be accessed from their base ports as well.

Last edited by carlostex on 2015-10-09, 19:44. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 13 of 27, by retrofanatic

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Malvineous wrote:
If my calculations are correct, then 640kB conventional memory will sit between segments 0000 and 9000. Expansion ROMs were des […]
Show full quote
retrofanatic wrote:

If my calculations are correct, then 640kB conventional memory will sit between segments 0000 and 9000. Expansion ROMs were designed to sit above this, so that would put the start of this area at A000. Your board has six sockets, which could put them at A000, B000, C000, D000, E000 and F000. The last one has a chip in it, and since the BIOS normally sits at F000, this would appear to make sense.

So in theory if you got a 64kB ROM and stuck it in the first slot, its contents would appear at A000. Interesting!

I wonder whether you could flash DOS onto an EEPROM and put it in there so you could boot the machine entirely from ROM? It looks like you might only have D000 and E000 to play with as the other segments are used by the video card (except for CGA/MDA which doesn't use A000), so I guess it depends on whether you can fit everything DOS needs to boot into 128kB.

Thanks for the explanation Malvineous...it makes more sense to me now what ROMs could do for this system...I love that idea of somehow flashing an EEPROM with DOS! I would love that for this build. I haven't done any research on it, but now you have me thinking...

chinny22 wrote:

Man, retrofanatic you always do such a good job cleaning up your cases. I start off with good intentions but get to excited about getting he thing up and running.
I totally get wanting to keep your stack nice and tidy. part of me wants a nice clean line of similar cases with, part of me likes having different cases for different reasons, again I couldn't wait knowing I have a perfectly good system in storage just cause of the case.

Thanks! I try my best to at least clean everything and will do the "retrobright" thing once in a while.

A big part of being into this retro computing thing for me is that I at least try to clean and restore whatever I get to the best of my ability (without breaking the bank of course).

I hear you about having different cases too. I do have a bunch of other towers and odds and ends that I really enjoy tinkering with too but for my main retro gaming setup which will require having multiple systems using a KVM switch and other switchers in one area with limited space, stacking a few similar desktops or of relatively the same size on one another keeps everything neat and tidy and more manageable for me. I also like the fact that I can interchange parts between all the similar desktop cases I have.

keropi wrote:

Regarding the soundcard, there is no need IMHO to install both an AdLib and a SB... just install a 8bit SB and you'll have AdLib working too. I will be using a CT1320C with CMS chips with my XT.
Midi is a plus , you need an mpu in there! 😁

Scali wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I thought as much. I think I may just go with my adlib card and/or maybe my PAS 8bit card then and I do have a Roland MPU-IPC-T card for the MPU to drive all my external MIDI devices. Also, I remember having some strange 8 bit Adlib clone card that may be cool to try, I don't remember the make and model, but I will look for it and maybe give it a try in this XT machine.

keropi wrote:

Also totally agree on the CGA/EGA decision, vga is nice but we have a billion other systems that are vga-capable. I'll be sticking to the IBM CGA I got for my XT build.

Good point. That is exactly what I was thinking. I have enough systems with VGA, no need for it on this, being one of my oldest PC systems. I like the experience with an old XT to be as authentic as possible reletive to my experience with these old machines when I was younger (I never used an XT with VGA). Now that I have this XT, I am wanting to soon go bit older and find a nice Commodore PET system and fire up LOGO and some other primitive basic programs and games I used to play when I was in elementary school... 🤣..oh well I guess I will fire up my tandy stuff when I get the urge for some really old nostalgia fix. 🤣

EDIT:

Cloudschatze wrote:

In practice, having multiples of the same OPL type in a system doesn't really present much of a conflict. There's the duplication of FM sound from the similarly-addressed cards to deal with, which some folks seem to find desirable, but not much of a read component to be concerned with otherwise.

carlostex wrote:

AFAIK it is possible because the cards just "listen" to the address. So both cards will play at the same time. I'm not sure but it is a benefit of how the original AdLib was designed.

Sound Blasters do hog their other base addresses like 220h, so if another card is placed there it will conflict. Creative probably did this on purpose. OPL chips on Sound Blasters can be accessed from their base ports as well.

In light of this information, now I may reconsider and just at least try having both a SB and Adlib in there at the same time. I will be using a nice professional grade Sony mixer, so I could attenuate each cards output as I see fit so that will eliminate the problem of playing at the same time and any possible 'reverb' from having sound playing at the same time from two different sources (depending if I can get both to work properly in the first place).

Reply 14 of 27, by carlostex

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

Thanks for the tip. I thought as much. I think I may just go with my adlib card and/or maybe my PAS 8bit card then and I do have a Roland MPU-IPC-T card for the MPU to drive all my external MIDI devices. Also, I remember having some strange 8 bit Adlib clone card that may be cool to try, I don't remember the make and model, but I will look for it and maybe give it a try in this XT machine.

You can use several cards with AdLib compatibility without any issues. Even the PAS was designed for 388h as base port in mind but in a way that it doesn't conflict with other cards and probably also not to undermine its own AdLib compatibility.

Now the original PAS in an XT is kind of a waste in my opinion. It is best suited in a 386/486. The greatest thing about the PAS is the dual OPL2, and the way it sounds when it is natively supported. I'm thinking of Fleet Defender or even Formula One Grand Prix. These games won't run in an XT.

I agree with Keropi a CT1320C or even a CT1350B is a good card for a Turbo XT. You'll have AdLib, Sound Blaster and CMS/Gameblaster. CT1320C's are better but harder to find than CT1350B's

Reply 16 of 27, by Robin4

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Lovely build! I very like it. Nice to see that of good quality reincarnation of the real thing WOW very nice on cleaning.. I think that would cost you a lot sweat and tears..
Also i like it that there is another user with an JUKO ST clone computer.. Luckly iam not alone now.. I think you really got gold on that case, and that you was on time to get it before it was trashed.. NICE build..

~ At least it can do black and white~

Reply 17 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
retrofanatic wrote:

In light of this information, now I may reconsider and just at least try having both a SB and Adlib in there at the same time. I will be using a nice professional grade Sony mixer, so I could attenuate each cards output as I see fit so that will eliminate the problem of playing at the same time and any possible 'reverb' from having sound playing at the same time from two different sources (depending if I can get both to work properly in the first place).

There is little point to that though, since an SB is quite literally an Adlib with a DAC added to it. It uses the same original Yamaha OPL2 chip, so it will sound exactly the same (aside from possibly very minor differences in the output amplifier on the board).
So I don't quite see the point of having an Adlib next to an SB. Both cards may work in a single system, but the result would just be that both cards would be playing the exact same thing at the exact same time when you play an Adlib game, and the Adlib will be playing the FM music where the SB does both FM music and DAC sound effects when you play an SB game.

Reply 18 of 27, by Cloudschatze

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Scali wrote:

(aside from possibly very minor differences in the output amplifier on the board)

I find the Ad Lib MSC to be exceptionally noisy. Similar to the original, non-VCA MT-32 releases, there is an unmitigable amount of amplifier hiss in the output. This could be desirable as an authentic characteristic of any pre-SB FM playback though. Personally, I find it bothersome. In any event, installing an Ad Lib MSC alongside an SB would make doing A/B comparisons an easy thing, and I can think of worse ways to populate an otherwise empty slot. 😀

Reply 19 of 27, by Scali

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Well, I haven't done any comparisons, but early SBs are also very noisy. I can't really imagine an Adlib being more noisy than those SBs.
I literally went back to the store with my first SB, an SB Pro 2.0, because I thought there was something wrong with it.
My experience until then was with C64 and Amiga, which are both considerably less noisy. Given the fact that the SB Pro 2.0 actually cost exactly the same as what I paid for my whole Amiga, I was disgusted with the noise. Even more disgusted to find out that it actually was supposed to be like that. PC suxx.