Outrigger: an ongoing adventure with the OR840

Topic actions

Reply 260 of 269, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Warlord wrote on 2023-04-21, 04:28:
I820 is slower and rambus on the 840 is bottle necked by the 133fsb, it wasn't untill P4 that rambus made since. Even still the […]
Show full quote
MadYoshi wrote on 2023-04-20, 08:19:
An other OR840 is still alive. I got the Board in the year 2009, but was not such motivated, because the Board makes trobble. No […]
Show full quote

An other OR840 is still alive. I got the Board in the year 2009, but was not such motivated, because the Board makes trobble. Now a friend of mine did a recap and now it is as new. It is an IBM Version.

IMG_20230330_190233_1.jpg

The memory performance is not what i expected. I don't see any point in the dual-channel Rambus compared to other chipsets. Or what do you think?

cachemem.png

And a benchmark with a Geforce 6800 Ultra.

IMG_20230403_174648_2.jpg

3DMark01_10957.JPG

In the End the OR840 is nice exotic Board, but a dual P-III Board with a VIA Apollo Pro133A (CUV4X-DLS) or VIA Apollo Pro266 (CUV266-DLS), even my i820 (P3C-D) is more performant. Or it feels like 😀

I820 is slower and rambus on the 840 is bottle necked by the 133fsb, it wasn't untill P4 that rambus made since. Even still the 840 at stock clocks is faster than the apollo pro 133 at stock clocks. But unless youre using some benchmark that leverages dual CPU its pretty pointless especially for gaming benchmarks that are single threaded.

can you try this patch and compare it to single cpu
We found a dual Cpu patch (SMP) that works on old games.

Actually he posted results that could easily be comparable to single cpu VIA platform.
And are not quite satisfying.

Reply 261 of 269, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Mamba wrote on 2023-04-21, 04:48:

Actually he posted results that could easily be comparable to single cpu VIA platform.
And are not quite satisfying.

he asked what do you think as well? whats wrong with that. I dont have a 820 but I do have both a VIA 133 and a Or840 and can confirm in single or dual cpuu the or840 is faster. Stock for stock the 840 is faster than any of my 440bx @ 133fsb for fairness and my BX is faster than a my VIA 133.

Reply 262 of 269, by nhattu1986

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Mamba wrote on 2023-02-03, 17:37:

It is proprietary Compaq wtx pinout. Do not know how to jumpstart it.
Guess I will give up with this project.

I don't know if you want to continue. But i'm still leaving it here in case you want to test.
I did successful jump start it in the past in this post: Re: Weird Compaq Motherboard
Also there are front panel pinout: Re: Weird Compaq Motherboard

Reply 263 of 269, by Gladi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I just got my OR840 today from a friend. Dual 733s and supposed to go with a Voodoo 3500.
I am however encountering a weird issue: It's benching at 30-40% what it should. I'm basing this off comparing my own results on a 440bx with the same hardware, and reviews on the internet. Without fail, everything I do, it comes out to 40% where it should be. What I have tried:
Changing RDRAM from PC600 512 to PC800 128. Stable, not performing right.
Switching GPU from a Voodoo 3 to a TNT 2 Ultra. Stable, not performing right.
Switching OS: 98SE and 2K both have the same results.
Switching drivers, Chipset and video card. Stable, not performing right.
Updating bios, messing with bios settings, resetting bios settings. Stable, not performing right.
Improving system cooling. Stable, not performing right.
Checking that both aux power ports are connected. No change.
Removing all peripherals. No change.

It's baffling and frustrating me. It's entirely stable, doesn't crash, temperatures are fine and the bios recognizes both processors. Windows recognizes both processors. The system _works_ but it's performing wildly below expectations.
Benchmarks tried: 3Dmark 99 and 2000, and Quake 3 timedemos. In all cases, it performs 30-40% compared to my own testing and documentation online.

I would love to try older bios versions, but have not found any. I would also like to try the IBM bios, but I can't figure out how to force it.

What the hell gives? If something is broken, I'd expect instability not a lack of performance.

Reply 264 of 269, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

And AFAIK, it can't even run 66 fsb, so or shouldn't be a question of it being reverted to fail safe setting?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 265 of 269, by Mamba

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
nhattu1986 wrote on 2023-05-17, 07:47:
I don't know if you want to continue. But i'm still leaving it here in case you want to test. I did successful jump start it in […]
Show full quote
Mamba wrote on 2023-02-03, 17:37:

It is proprietary Compaq wtx pinout. Do not know how to jumpstart it.
Guess I will give up with this project.

I don't know if you want to continue. But i'm still leaving it here in case you want to test.
I did successful jump start it in the past in this post: Re: Weird Compaq Motherboard
Also there are front panel pinout: Re: Weird Compaq Motherboard

Personally I gave up.
Too much hassle and low relative performace.

Reply 266 of 269, by Gladi

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
H3nrik V! wrote on 2023-08-20, 11:29:

And AFAIK, it can't even run 66 fsb, so or shouldn't be a question of it being reverted to fail safe setting?

Yeah I really don't get it. How can it be completely stable, operating at less than half where it should be, without anything detecting anything wrong?

Reply 267 of 269, by freekymachine

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Gladi wrote on 2023-08-20, 10:39:
I just got my OR840 today from a friend. Dual 733s and supposed to go with a Voodoo 3500. I am however encountering a weird issu […]
Show full quote

I just got my OR840 today from a friend. Dual 733s and supposed to go with a Voodoo 3500.
I am however encountering a weird issue: It's benching at 30-40% what it should. I'm basing this off comparing my own results on a 440bx with the same hardware, and reviews on the internet. Without fail, everything I do, it comes out to 40% where it should be. What I have tried:
Changing RDRAM from PC600 512 to PC800 128. Stable, not performing right.
Switching GPU from a Voodoo 3 to a TNT 2 Ultra. Stable, not performing right.
Switching OS: 98SE and 2K both have the same results.
Switching drivers, Chipset and video card. Stable, not performing right.
Updating bios, messing with bios settings, resetting bios settings. Stable, not performing right.
Improving system cooling. Stable, not performing right.
Checking that both aux power ports are connected. No change.
Removing all peripherals. No change.

It's baffling and frustrating me. It's entirely stable, doesn't crash, temperatures are fine and the bios recognizes both processors. Windows recognizes both processors. The system _works_ but it's performing wildly below expectations.
Benchmarks tried: 3Dmark 99 and 2000, and Quake 3 timedemos. In all cases, it performs 30-40% compared to my own testing and documentation online.

I would love to try older bios versions, but have not found any. I would also like to try the IBM bios, but I can't figure out how to force it.

What the hell gives? If something is broken, I'd expect instability not a lack of performance.

Hey,

The orig Intel OR840 ?
Hm good question why it does not run how it should...

One thing i read now here and there is maybe the Caps are going down = cant run at full power anymore - need recap ?! just theory.

Which Board-Revision do you you have ? there are quite many and some older ones were buggy as hell, couldnt take some rd-rams, only ran up stable to 933, etc. The midrange is usually good and runs good and only the higher revisions were able to run 1266 Tualatin/2GB RD-Ram and even the 1400 Tualatins.

Mine is upper mid, can run with 2GB and 1266, but not 1400er.
I also have one weird found IBM OR840, was modded, but only ran for like minutes, when i started testing it, went dark, no idea, did recap, no result 🙁

But from the guy i got it, he managed to use my Intel OR840 Bios on the IBM 840, turning it into an Intel 840 😀 Just need to do some things, and then you can turn the IBM840 into an Intel 840 - sadly i cant confirm that yet with certanty.

I want to test it myself one day, since i got another IBM 840 in perfectly working condition, but i dont wanna sacrafice it (yet) - rather hoping i got another IBM 840 i then can try to turn into an Intel OR840.
The other way around should be possible too, but since the IBM 840 has some chips on it, which you would need and arent present on the orig. Intel OR840, you cant use an IBM Bios on a Intel OR840 - without soldering the missing chips on it.

Reply 268 of 269, by killrambo

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi all owners of the IBM 6868 version of or840

I'm having difficulty to make this great mobo to boot from sata raid card. Tried VIA and adaptec (si311x) ones.
Remembering "old" IBM and their bioses/biases 😀 to look only for the genuine IBM parts I wonder if anyone actually had any luck to boot 6868 from RAID controller?

Thank you

Reply 269 of 269, by amijim

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Well ,i sold both of my Fujitsu FSC D1181 ,OEMs OR840 motherboard to help both my nerves and peace of mind.One board went in AUstralia and one in Switzerland.Both buyers are here.They were brand new and i was testing them with both p3 600 , p3 450 , p3 1000 original slot1 cpus and various tualatins and coppermine using powerleaps and MSi slotkey adaptors with numerous vgas including matrox g400 and 3d labs gvx 1 pro and vx1 and i had big toubles even powering them on.Eventually my mobos didnt like the Samsung ECC rdimms i had 4 x 128mb blue color.I ended up with some 4@512mb elpida blacks and another pair 4 x 256 samsung silver which both posted but the board was marginally faster than my compaq ML 350 G1 ServeWorks LE set up plus it had 3,5gb ram.I used the 2gb ram bus with another setup that you can buy now cheap and it is a compaq w6000 with a pair of p4 3.0 XeonMP Gallatins with 4mb cache each but believe me , 2 gb is not enough even for you tube.I still use this machine almost every day but to be honest my Tyan s2885 dual AMD Opterons are way faster .

Iwill ZmaxDP
Arima4way
Tyan s2885
Iwill MPX2
Gigabyte GA-7DPXDW+
Compaq SP700
Compaq ml350