VOGONS

Reply 40 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Joseph_Joestar wrote on 2020-02-03, 06:07:

Bioware's Neverwinter Nights and Knights of the old Republic work on Win98 SE and the original Splinter Cell does as well.

Not that you'd need to run any of those on that OS, but you could, if you really wanted to.

Sure, there are plenty of XP era games that will RUN on Windows 9X. But when I also have a WinXP machine, why would I? AFAIK concerned, games from end-2001 to 2006 or so should just be running on my XP machine and it's four cores and Radeon HD 7950. 😜

Reply 41 of 57, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-02-02, 18:00:

The X800 Pro is a bit short vs an X800 XT or X850XT, but this is still pretty great.

Do you have small yellow connector under Molex one? Also, how fast is your VRAM (1.6 or 2.0ns)? If you have that yellow connector and 1.6ns VRAM, you would be able to "upgrade" to XT or XT PE by flashing vBIOS. I did that few weeks ago with my X800 Pro, and I currently have X800 XT 😉

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 42 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2020-04-19, 18:12:

Do you have small yellow connector under Molex one? Also, how fast is your VRAM (1.6 or 2.0ns)? If you have that yellow connector and 1.6ns VRAM, you would be able to "upgrade" to XT or XT PE by flashing vBIOS. I did that few weeks ago with my X800 Pro, and I currently have X800 XT 😉

I already looked into this and I even had the heat sink off to replace the paste. You can clearly see where a laser was cut. X800 Pro VIVOs were usually the ones with chips that were software locked but this is not that.

Reply 43 of 57, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, that's a shame. When I was buying my X8xx Pros, I was specifically looking for VIVO ones (I know, you wasn't buying Pro). And even though I have a X850 Pro VIVO, I wasn't able to unlock it, since it's using slow 2.0ns memory. At least my X800 Pro VIVO is now fully working X800 XT.

Socket 775 - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 4GB RAM, Radeon 9800XT, ESS Solo-1, Win 98/XP
Socket A - Chaintech CT-7AIA, AMD Athlon XP 2400+, 1GB RAM, Radeon 9600XT, ESS ES1869F, Win 98

Reply 44 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2020-04-20, 06:25:

Yeah, that's a shame. When I was buying my X8xx Pros, I was specifically looking for VIVO ones (I know, you wasn't buying Pro). And even though I have a X850 Pro VIVO, I wasn't able to unlock it, since it's using slow 2.0ns memory. At least my X800 Pro VIVO is now fully working X800 XT.

Yeah and I'm unlikely to upgrade now that I got the X800 Pro for 'cheap' due to an incompetent eBay seller. While an XT would be faster, the X800 Pro is already proving to be well in the realm of 'Stupid Crazy Fast' when it comes to Windows 9X 3D gaming. An XT, at least for games no newer than 2000, would just be adding a higher framerate to a system already doing well over 60fps even at 1600x1200 with FSAA enabled. I have done CPU upgrades that were equally 'nonsense' in terms of going from 'Stupid crazy fast' to 'Really stupid crazy fast' but those CPUs cost me like $11 at most, it's a trivial expense where an AGP X800 XT would not be as trivial.

Reply 45 of 57, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm wondering, would an Intel D945psn motherboard with with Win98SE/ME? It's a socket 775 motherboard that supports the Pentium 4 line of cpus.

Also since there is talk of PCIe cards that work with win9x, is the Ati Radeon X800 GTO one of those working PCIe cards? I have one but the fan on the cooler broke off but otherwise the card works.

Reply 46 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-04-22, 21:58:

I'm wondering, would an Intel D945psn motherboard with with Win98SE/ME? It's a socket 775 motherboard that supports the Pentium 4 line of cpus.

Also since there is talk of PCIe cards that work with win9x, is the Ati Radeon X800 GTO one of those working PCIe cards? I have one but the fan on the cooler broke off but otherwise the card works.

I honestly am not sure. I did read a thread on here from some time ago, people talking aobut PCIE actually working for Win9X cause it's actually driver agnostic but very few PCIE cards have chips with Win9X drivers. I've never tested this. Seems the biggest issue with 9X and newer boards is it needs legacy IDE support or emulation.

It'd be neat if someone sat down and tested it more seriously.

Reply 47 of 57, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Fujoshi-hime wrote on 2020-04-22, 23:08:

I honestly am not sure. I did read a thread on here from some time ago, people talking aobut PCIE actually working for Win9X cause it's actually driver agnostic but very few PCIE cards have chips with Win9X drivers. I've never tested this. Seems the biggest issue with 9X and newer boards is it needs legacy IDE support or emulation.

It'd be neat if someone sat down and tested it more seriously.

My motherboard has an IDE port, but SATA drives can also be ran in legacy mode (aka IDE drives). As for graphics cards, if the PCIe X800 GTO I have doesn't work even with the ati drivers on philscomputerlab than I still have a PCI graphics card that can be used (Geforce MX4000). Though I might not be able to test it for a while since I don't have another mouse I can spare and not enough room in my room for two systems unless I can cheaply get a KVM switch that works with USB keyboards and mice

Reply 48 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
retrogamerguy1997 wrote on 2020-04-22, 23:22:

My motherboard has an IDE port, but SATA drives can also be ran in legacy mode (aka IDE drives). As for graphics cards, if the PCIe X800 GTO I have doesn't work even with the ati drivers on philscomputerlab than I still have a PCI graphics card that can be used (Geforce MX4000). Though I might not be able to test it for a while since I don't have another mouse I can spare and not enough room in my room for two systems unless I can cheaply get a KVM switch that works with USB keyboards and mice

If you do test it out, please document it in a thread. I'd be curious to see more info on it. Though I do question it's utility, since the number of PCIE cards with 9X drivers is slim and those are all widely available in AGP as well. The very vary late cards might be the exception.

Reply 49 of 57, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unfortunately not. That chipset is too new to support Windows 98. Lowest you can get with it is Windows 2000.
Check following post for more information: Re: Why 478 and not 775?

Reply 50 of 57, by retrogamerguy1997

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Srandista wrote on 2020-04-23, 08:36:

Unfortunately not. That chipset is too new to support Windows 98. Lowest you can get with it is Windows 2000.
Check following post for more information: Re: Why 478 and not 775?

Well rip me then. I was hoping to be able to run windows 98SE on it.

Reply 52 of 57, by Munx

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Since you're running overkill hardware for WinME, how about overkill software? Doom3 can run Win9x with a patch and Half-Life 2 will run out of the box.

My builds!
The FireStarter 2.0 - The wooden K5
The Underdog - The budget K6
The Voodoo powerhouse - The power-hungry K7
The troll PC - The Socket 423 Pentium 4

Reply 53 of 57, by Srandista

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I don't know about Fujoshi-hime, but I'm definitely planning to do that in near future on my overkill build. Recently I found out about that workaround for Doom 3 under Win98, and now I'm waiting for package with Doom 3 on physical media. I already tried HL2 briefly on that rig, but next time I'll do some proper benchmarking session with it.

Reply 54 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Munx wrote on 2020-04-25, 15:00:

Since you're running overkill hardware for WinME, how about overkill software? Doom3 can run Win9x with a patch and Half-Life 2 will run out of the box.

Srandista wrote on 2020-04-25, 19:19:

I don't know about Fujoshi-hime, but I'm definitely planning to do that in near future on my overkill build. Recently I found out about that workaround for Doom 3 under Win98, and now I'm waiting for package with Doom 3 on physical media. I already tried HL2 briefly on that rig, but next time I'll do some proper benchmarking session with it.

Yeah, it's not really what I was going for. For games like that I have the eMachine WIndows XP overkill build instead. This was more about using parts that didn't break the bank because they were inauthentic and still allowed me to play any game at max settings without ever needing to look at the hardware requirements. Though I have had to slow the machine down in a few cases. 😀 Basically, I want the machine to run as well as anyone could have DREAMED it would back in the Win9X days.

Reply 55 of 57, by Fujoshi-hime

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I've been playing around with this system a fair but throughout his whole COVID-19 thing. I'm working from home for 5 months now and having some projects and classic games at a different desk has been nice. I have never played The Sims before in my life, I spent like a month playing it every work night to destress.

Anyway, here's an updated photo as early into COVID I picked up the additional parts I'd need. I wasn't going for a Logitech theme here but it worked out that way, with a Logitech mouse, keyboard and even speakers. The gamepad is just the RetroBit USB 6 button pad sold for the Sega Genesis Mini, it's DInput and a GREAT pad for things like Jazz2. I had a couple of Gravis Gamepads that are 'authentic' but honestly? The Dpad sucks and the one on the Genesis pad here is WAY better.

237wcuuutae51.jpg