VOGONS

First post, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Some of you might have seen a glimpse of this little 286 in my thread about software, utilities and games to enjoy on this machine. This thread will be more focused on the hardware side of it since I got a lot of great ideas for what to do with it there.

First, some history.

I never had a 286 when I grew up. The first computer we had was a home built clone of a ABC 800 / Facit DTC. A Zilog Z80 based system that my father built more or less from scratch, including making some of the PCBs, building a case for it and adopting a display to make it work with it. The machine is still working but not used very much any more. This was around 1985...

Our first PC came into the family maybe 5 years later. A XT-clone made by Trident. I'm not sure about how it was configured when we got it but it was not new and looked a bit tired. I still have the harddrives from it, a 40mb and a 30mb MFM drive. The case and a 386 motherboard that was put into it a few years later was unfortunately badly damaged in storage so it was scrapped the last time I moved.

Fast forward to 1991 or 1992 and the first "real" PC was purchased. Some years later I took over it and used it until the end of 1998. It was a Facit S333, a 386 based system with pretty nice performance for being a 386. 33MHz CPU, a 387 was added to it and in the end it ha a 528mb harddrive, 20mb ram and a SB32AWE (CT3670). Running Windows 95 on it was a bit slow but it worked most of the time. I have spent lots of time with this computer. My first LAN-party experiences was with that computer, playing Doom2 at quite bad framerates and probably only with the keyboard. But we had lots of fun and learnt a lot from it. 3com509 and coaxial cables where used in most of the computers me and my friends had at that time. This machine was scrapped due to a mother board failure, I should have fixed it...

DSC_4635.jpg
Filename
DSC_4635.jpg
File size
1.52 MiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Picture of it from 2007, probably the last time it was more or less working.

So.. I might be a bit obsessed with Facit computers because of that. I'm not sure but I believe that Mitac made all of their PCs and it was limited to 286-486 based computers, at least I haven't seen anything else so far. Common for them is quite nice boxy design and a light grey color combined with slightly darker grey drives that made them stand out a little from all the beige boxes that was standard for PCs at the time they were produced.

A few months ago I found my latest retro purchase that I couldn't resist. I got it for a decent amount of money and it was in working condition when I got it. More or less original except from the floppy drive that had been replaced with a beige/white 1,44mb drive.

IMG_20201219_114257.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201219_114257.jpg
File size
1.45 MiB
Views
File license

Front side when I got it. Not much room for expansion! The case is just 9cm high, 37cm width and 40cm deep so it fits great under almost any display.

IMG_20201219_114330.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201219_114330.jpg
File size
1020.16 KiB
Views
File license

Rear view. Two full length 16-bit ISA slots is hiding under the blank cover plates. Both empty.

IMG_20201219_120022.jpg
Filename
IMG_20201219_120022.jpg
File size
851.69 KiB
Views
File license

Since I had a almost dead 3,5" floppy in the right color I had to do some work to get a working floppy drive in the right color in the computer. Looking thru my stack of floppy drives quickly revealed a matching drive that could be used with the face plate from the dead floppy. That one also needed some work... but I eventually got a working 3,5" floppy drive with the right color and a red LED.

Next up, memory upgrade and a look at the inside 😀

Reply 1 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Nice system you have there. I'm a fan of older slimline systems

I also just take the front facia of fdd and transfer them to a good fdd. Some times you have to mod the facia, button and case to get looking good and maybe a bit of glue.

Here's my 1990 Zenith 286/12 LP Plus with a similar form factor. I've added a sound card, and a parallel port LS120 external drive daisy chained to a BackPack CD drive. It's also networked to my fibre router though a 10/100 switch. It runs MS Dos 5.0a, MS Windows 3.1, nic packet driver and Trumpet Winsock 1.0a to IRC from it. It is on most days.

Attachments

• DSC_0000269.jpg
    Filename
    DSC_0000269.jpg
    File size
    216.01 KiB
    Views
    File license
Last edited by Caluser2000 on 2021-01-01, 20:55. Edited 1 time in total.

There's a glitch in the matrix.
A founding member of the 286 appreciation society.
Apparently 32-bit is dead and nobody likes P4s.
Of course, as always, I'm open to correction...😉

Reply 2 of 13, by Hezus

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Cool machine! Too bad about that 386 though. Looked like a nice system too. Can't believe you played Doom 2 on that. I remember doing that on my uncle's 486 SX.. you could easily make yourself a coffee, do the dishes and probably cure cancer before it finally was done loading 😁

Visit my YT Channel!

Reply 4 of 13, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-01-01, 20:39:

I also just take the front facia of fdd and transfer them to a good fdd. Some times you have to mod the facia, button and case to get looking good and maybe a bit of glue.

Here's my 1990 Zenith 286/12 LP Plus with a similar form factor. I've added a sound card, and a parallel port LS120 external drive daisy chained to a BackPack CD drive. It's also networked to my fibre router though a 10/100 switch. It runs MS Dos 5.0a, MS Windows 3.1, nic packet driver and Trumpet Winsock 1.0a to IRC from it. It is on most days.

I had to change to top cover of the floppy drive to make the other front plate fit properly. But most older Teac drives seems to be pretty similar to each other, the cast aluminum base seems to be identical even if there are a few years and revisions between them.

Yours looks a bit thicker then mine but still a nice compact system. Having two full length 16-bit ISA-slots makes life easier when dealing with older computers.

Hezus wrote on 2021-01-01, 20:46:

Cool machine! Too bad about that 386 though. Looked like a nice system too. Can't believe you played Doom 2 on that. I remember doing that on my uncle's 486 SX.. you could easily make yourself a coffee, do the dishes and probably cure cancer before it finally was done loading 😁

As long as its frames per minute and not frames per hour its playable 😀
Don't know what framerate I got but maybe 10fps? Loading times was not an issue as I can remember, but some memories gets lost quicker then others 😀

pshipkov wrote on 2021-01-02, 00:32:

Good stuff. Thanks for sharing.

It will be great to peek inside both the Facit and Zenith PC. 😉

Never heard of Facit until no btw.

Facit is most know for the mechanical calculators and ignoring the fact that integrated circuits is not a threat to their products...

Hardware!
CPU: Intel 80286@12mhz
Motherboard: Unknown, Faraday/WDC FE3001 chip set
RAM: 1mb FPM upgraded to 4mb
Graphics: Paradise VGA, 256kb
Harddrive: 42mb Quantum ProDrive IDE, upgraded to Conner CP3104 at about 100mb IDE
Sound Card: Creative Labs Sound Blaster 16 Vibra, CT 2260 (upgrade)
NIC: 3Com Etherlink III, 3C509B-C (upgrade)

Some pics of the inside 😀

_DSF5760.jpg
Filename
_DSF5760.jpg
File size
719.05 KiB
Views
File license

CPU and some of the chip set. Socket for a 80287... might find one some day.

_DSF5763.jpg
Filename
_DSF5763.jpg
File size
624.63 KiB
Views
File license

RAM, changed out the original 4x256kb to 4x1mb. Standard 30 pin SIMMs so upgrading was really easy.

_DSF5735.jpg
Filename
_DSF5735.jpg
File size
704.99 KiB
Views
File license

VGA-chip and video memory. The chips on the left seems to be ramdac.

_DSF5771.jpg
Filename
_DSF5771.jpg
File size
655.59 KiB
Views
File license

Overview over the CPU area and expansion slots.
I'm a bit curious about the SiS chip on the left, I found a few early VGA cards with the same 82C451 chip but its maybe used together with the Paradise chip in some way?

_DSF5769.jpg
Filename
_DSF5769.jpg
File size
986.52 KiB
Views
File license

Top view of the motherboard. Its quite big and takes up most of the case, on the other hand it has everything integrated so there is a bit more going on here then on a standard baby-AT 286 board.

Next up, Harddrive and floppy and upgrades!

Reply 6 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
OSkar000 wrote on 2021-01-03, 11:47:

I had to change to top cover of the floppy drive to make the other front plate fit properly. But most older Teac drives seems to be pretty similar to each other, the cast aluminum base seems to be identical even if there are a few years and revisions between them.

Yours looks a bit thicker then mine but still a nice compact system. Having two full length 16-bit ISA-slots makes life easier when dealing with older computers.

Indeed it is by 5mm @ 95mm high.😉. 38cm long. 36cm wide.

Reply 7 of 13, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-01-03, 16:05:

Nice system. I don't see a keyboard or mouse port anywhere... does it have PS/2 mouse support?

One really nice feature on these systems is that they have PS/2 😀

_DSF5785.jpg
Filename
_DSF5785.jpg
File size
379.57 KiB
Views
File license

One of the first things I did after I had verified that it was running ok was to upgrade the ram and harddrive. The orignal harddrive is working but I wanted to preserve it if I ever need anything from it.

_DSF5777.jpg
Filename
_DSF5777.jpg
File size
494.18 KiB
Views
File license

I replaced it with a Conner CP3104, the same model as the 386 had installed when we got it. This drive is from another system so I don't know its origin. Here seen from its best side 😀

_DSF5780.jpg
Filename
_DSF5780.jpg
File size
352.1 KiB
Views
File license

Both the floppy and the hard drive is mounted on a plastic bracket that slides into the case so its really easy to remove them from the system. One screw holds each bracket in place.

_DSF5782.jpg
Filename
_DSF5782.jpg
File size
541.05 KiB
Views
File license

And you don't need a long IDE or floppy cable. This must be one of the closest located connectors I have seen.

_DSF5786.jpg
Filename
_DSF5786.jpg
File size
435.85 KiB
Views
File license

The power supply is not the most powerful, but it should be enough for this little system. It seems to be in ok condition but its probably not to hard to replace it with more modern unit if it fails.

Reply 8 of 13, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Even if the computer was nice when I got it I felt that it was something missing. So I looked thru my collection to see what I had that would fit in it.

_DSF5789.jpg
Filename
_DSF5789.jpg
File size
606.01 KiB
Views
File license

First a sound card. A bit to new for this system but that's not so important for me. This one is probably from 1995 so putting one in a 286 then was probably not so common. I would have done it though..

_DSF5790.jpg
Filename
_DSF5790.jpg
File size
496.29 KiB
Views
File license

A computer that isn't connected to any other computers is doomed for a life in loneliness. 3Com-cards is my favorite since many years back since the always seem to work fine. Just install, configure and you are ready to go.

_DSF5794.jpg
Filename
_DSF5794.jpg
File size
623.32 KiB
Views
File license

Fully assembled system!

_DSF5798.jpg
Filename
_DSF5798.jpg
File size
385.52 KiB
Views
File license

Rear view, not much to add here 😀

_DSF5805.jpg
Filename
_DSF5805.jpg
File size
294.01 KiB
Views
File license

Front view. Back to its original look with the dark grey floppy drive.

Next part in this project is software installation and using it some more.

Reply 9 of 13, by maxtherabbit

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

that's about an ideal configuration for a 286-12

only thing "lacking" if you can call it that is the inability to provide for any 5.25" drive expansion, but I guess you can use a parallel port CDROM or 1.2MB FDD if needed

Reply 10 of 13, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-01-03, 17:02:
OSkar000 wrote on 2021-01-03, 11:47:

Indeed it is by 5mm @ 95mm high.😉. 38cm long. 36cm wide.

More or less identical then. One thing that I'm missing is space for another 3,5" harddrive. A CF-card would probably be possible to fit if I run out of space on the harddrive.

maxtherabbit wrote on 2021-01-03, 17:34:

that's about an ideal configuration for a 286-12

only thing "lacking" if you can call it that is the inability to provide for any 5.25" drive expansion, but I guess you can use a parallel port CDROM or 1.2MB FDD if needed

It's a bit to small for that but I have other systems to use if I need a CD-rom or 5,25" floppy.

Now I just need to spend some more time with it 😀

Reply 11 of 13, by Caluser2000

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Set up networking to send your files you want to get off the wee gals hdd.

Reply 12 of 13, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Also a fan of the pizza box form factor.
When I saw those 2 empty slots thought to myself I'd add sound and network and have a "full" system, scrolled down and saw your on the same page.

Funny how you replaced the beige floppy for a grey one as most of us try to go the other way, means a Gotek would be the correct colour for your machine.

Don't see much need for a CD drive in a 286, especially if you have it networked. Think its a good practical machine, well as much as a 286 can be that is!

Reply 13 of 13, by OSkar000

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Caluser2000 wrote on 2021-01-04, 05:49:

Set up networking to send your files you want to get off the wee gals hdd.

Already done 😀

chinny22 wrote on 2021-01-04, 11:20:
Also a fan of the pizza box form factor. When I saw those 2 empty slots thought to myself I'd add sound and network and have a " […]
Show full quote

Also a fan of the pizza box form factor.
When I saw those 2 empty slots thought to myself I'd add sound and network and have a "full" system, scrolled down and saw your on the same page.

Funny how you replaced the beige floppy for a grey one as most of us try to go the other way, means a Gotek would be the correct colour for your machine.

Don't see much need for a CD drive in a 286, especially if you have it networked. Think its a good practical machine, well as much as a 286 can be that is!

Putting a Gotek in this machine would totally ruin it 😀
Dark grey is the original color on the Facit PCs, the beige looked really odd in it.

IMG_20190721_195242.jpg
Filename
IMG_20190721_195242.jpg
File size
1.24 MiB
Views
File license

My other two Facit computers, one of them is a empty case on the picture but it has some newer parts in it now. The other one is waiting for some love and care to get it running again.