Dual socket 7 build

Topic actions

Reply 40 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-26, 05:56:

Yea that ebay rule is the result of a 5-6 year long forum thread going absolutely tits up. I think the mods let me get away with it because it's usually to answer an inquiry, and never a self promotion listing.

That or they like me, but I doubt that.

I wasn't promoting anything just posting a link to something I was talking about 🤣

Warlord wrote on 2021-02-26, 06:07:

Be interested in looking at the spec sheets between a GT and a MT. I used a MT adapter. Not sure if GT is better or not. PWLA8492MT Thats not going to work for you though as its for 3.3v slots only. I think your board only supports 5v slots. So thats something to consider.

I'll check and see if I can figure out if it's 3.3v

edit: checked both my boards are 3.3v slots

well, some more updates I've tried a few different operating systems and am now going back to using windows xp sp3 it seems to run good but would still like to use 7 instead I keep running into things that don't work like smb1.0 and GPT but have found solutions to those

next thing I wanna tackle is the NIC
prob gonna order one of those intel ones.
killer nic would be pretty cool but can't find one

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 41 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

No, the tyan has 5v pci slots.

if the notch is in the BACK (rear) its 3.3v if it's in the FRONT, 5v.

the card I linked earlier: Re: Dual socket 7 build
is a universal pci card.

PCI_Keying.svg.png
Filename
PCI_Keying.svg.png
File size
39.12 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 42 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-26, 06:39:
No, the tyan has 5v pci slots. […]
Show full quote

No, the tyan has 5v pci slots.

if the notch is in the BACK (rear) its 3.3v if it's in the FRONT, 5v.

the card I linked earlier: Re: Dual socket 7 build
is a universal pci card.

PCI_Keying.svg.png

I actually tested it with a tester card. it has 3.3v am I missing something?

I ordered one of the cards you linked to btw. will try it out thanks!

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 43 of 74, by Warlord

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

killer nics are shit. Even if they were good like I say the driver uses system resources that were casing like 1% cpu utilization on my quadcore. So just idle on your system it will probably use like 10% or something 🤣.

Reply 44 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-26, 08:24:

killer nics are shit. Even if they were good like I say the driver uses system resources that were casing like 1% cpu utilization on my quadcore. So just idle on your system it will probably use like 10% or something 🤣.

that's wild. you would think that they wouldn't do that. that's like their whole "deal" lowering cpu utilization... I ordered the intel one

have you talked to others with it? maybe yours was a special case?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 45 of 74, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Sphere478 wrote on 2021-02-26, 06:57:

I actually tested it with a tester card. it has 3.3v am I missing something?

The notches determine which signalling voltage is used.
A PCI slot can be keyed for 5V signalling but still have 3.3Vcc present on the corresponting pins.
A PCI card keyed for 5V signalling can require 3.3Vcc to be present on the slot in order for it to work.
Only 66MHz PCI slots use 3.3V signalling.
Universal PCI cards are compatible with 3.3V as well as 5V signalling. They can be either 33MHz only or also be 66MHz capable. I don't think there are 66MHz only cards. The slowest card on the bus determines the bus speed.

Reply 46 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Okay so that’s like the I/O you are talking about but 5v cards still can get 3.3v I see. So those power cards you sometimes see are for boards that don’t have the 3.3v power pins on 5v slots?

I got it all set up with it recognizing the 12 tb drive and all drivers installed and made a image to save me time if I mess it up again 🤣.

I have a few problems with it still,
It won’t see the 12 or 8 tb drive when I plug it into usb which is actually how I would like to do it for portability reasons
It shows up under device manager but not disk manager or my computer

I got the 12 tb drive shared on sata and I see the dual pentium on my windows 10 network but when I click on it it asks me to log in. Nothing should be asking for a password, I installed smb1 on the windows 10 computers so what am I missing here?

For some reason the 8 tb drive doesn’t show up when plugged into sata even in the bios for the promise. They both appear to basically be the same drive but one with a extra platter. Any ideas?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 48 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Warlord wrote on 2021-02-27, 01:59:

I think microsoft broke smb1 on win 10, I have never been able to re enable it.

under windows features in add/remove programs? You tried there?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 49 of 74, by luckybob

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

It won’t see the 12 or 8 tb drive when I plug it into usb which is actually how I would like to do it for portability reasons

Because the drive is formatted incorrectly for retro computers. And they likely won't be able to see that big of a drive as well.

Reformat the drive and add a 2nd small (ish) partition for the retro computer. 10gb should be more than plenty.

It is a mistake to think you can solve any major problems just with potatoes.

Reply 50 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
luckybob wrote on 2021-02-27, 02:49:

Because the drive is formatted incorrectly for retro computers. And they likely won't be able to see that big of a drive as well.

Reformat the drive and add a 2nd small (ish) partition for the retro computer. 10gb should be more than plenty.

GPT disks on windows XP SP3 (partially solved)

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 51 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Cut a slot in the motherboard backplane and tapped a hole in the rear bulkhead for the top pci card and moved the promise up there

Got the intel gigabit network card today and it’s installed haven’t been able to mess with it yet though

Also got a internal usb hub and stuck it on the bottom to turn the two motherboard ports into 8 ports which is nice.

I keep having windows xp stuck on the scrolling bar part during startup

I can get it to boot by telling it to use last good settings that worked but I keep having to tell it to use those settings on every boot.. ideas?

Attachments

Last edited by Sphere478 on 2021-03-02, 08:06. Edited 1 time in total.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 52 of 74, by SquallStrife

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

A lot of these difficult-to-track-down hangs and crashes are screaming "bad RAM", or at least "un-cooperative RAM" to me.

As you know, I have the same mobo in my Dual-S7 system.

I had a lot of issues with my board at first, it took me hours of trying out different RAM before I found a set that works correctly. Mind you, I only have 256MB.

VogonsDrivers.com | Link | News Thread

Reply 53 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SquallStrife wrote on 2021-03-02, 04:03:

A lot of these difficult-to-track-down hangs and crashes are screaming "bad RAM", or at least "un-cooperative RAM" to me.

As you know, I have the same mobo in my Dual-S7 system.

I had a lot of issues with my board at first, it took me hours of trying out different RAM before I found a set that works correctly. Mind you, I only have 256MB.

yeah, that's what it was.

I got xp loaded on it and am now dealing with XP related issues. 512mb is working in slots 1-4 128mb x 4 it was detecting 768 but that turned out to be a glitch and the source of my issues along with not using slots in ascending order from 1 up (I was using slots 3-8) now that I'm only 512 and using slots 1-4 it's fine I originally used 3-8 cause before the bios update it was the only combo that would show 768 but after bios update 1-6 also work. whereas before it only showed 600 something in those slots.

are you running the jan bios?

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 55 of 74, by Woody72

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

SMB1 is 'kind of' fine in Win 10. With my main desktop I just had to enable it in Windows 10 features by ticking the box. I couldn't get it working with a password (a quick Google suggests this is a fairly universal issue) but it works fine if you leave the password field blank. I just bought a new laptop at the weekend and upgraded Win10 Home to Pro and SMB 1.0 was already ticked in Windows 10 features.

Modern PC: i7-9700KF, 16GB memory, RTX 3060. Proper PC: Pentium 200 MMX, 128MB EDO memory, GeForce2 MX(200).

Reply 56 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I got the intel NIC working on the dual pentium a while back and it was faster but I can't find where I posted results..?

I am now trying a Killer NIC and gonna see how it does.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 57 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

sitting around 4 mb/sec with intel pro gt and killer nic. the killer seems to be a few tenths of a mb/sec faster though

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 58 of 74, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Played around with this motherboard a little more recently. I wish I could get server 2003 r2 working on it but it just blue screens soon as setup first boots. Any ideas?

The video card that seems to have had the most success in this unit is my radeon 7500

I wanna try a nvs280 soon and a different 6200 which I should have before too long.

In the first post it appeared I was able to get 768mb working but have since found that to actually have been the source of several issues. It detected 768 but wasn’t actually able to use 768.

It works perfectly at 512mb though. But I think I’ve mentioned this previously.

Cyrix 366 and k63+ work great in this board but fastest I can get the k6 is 400 cyrix, (I forget top speed Was just testing if the cpu worked.)

It’s possible that a k6-3+ at 400mhz may be faster than a dual pentium, but it kinda defeats the point 🤣.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
-
-

Reply 59 of 74, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
cyclone3d wrote on 2021-02-25, 10:19:

3COM and Netgear were the nics to have for Windows 9x... For XP, Intel should be fine as older Realtek were sometimes kinda wonky.

Make sure you have a NIC that does hardware offloading.

Intel and 3com were the best options for fast ethernet, although DEC Tulip and Tulip clones (Lite-on PNIC and Admtek Comet) were also really good. Intel are unquestionably the best option for gigabit, but I really like Syskonnect based cards which were bought out by Marvell and became their Yukon line.

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder