VOGONS

First post, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I put together a Pentium 4-powered Windows 98 rig for my friend, here´s video: https://youtu.be/RovaAexIdJc

I did a a full recap for the motherboard and gave all the plastic parts in the front a fancy new paintjob! The main components in this build:
- Abit IS7-E
- GeForce FX5500
- 2 Gb RAM
- Sound Blaster Live! SB0100
- 120 Gb SSD

And here´s some pictures:

beforeafter.jpg
Filename
beforeafter.jpg
File size
258.22 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception
maalaus.jpg
Filename
maalaus.jpg
File size
174.02 KiB
Views
File license
caps.jpg
Filename
caps.jpg
File size
968.52 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 1 of 7, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MOBO.jpg
Filename
MOBO.jpg
File size
37.98 KiB
Views
File license
RAM.jpg
Filename
RAM.jpg
File size
32.11 KiB
Views
File license
CPU.jpg
Filename
CPU.jpg
File size
45.88 KiB
Views
File license
GPU.jpg
Filename
GPU.jpg
File size
31.68 KiB
Views
File license

Reply 2 of 7, by pinesal

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good call on painting the case. Looks better as one color.

Hang out in the 90s with me on Twitch: The 90s Retro Gaming https://twitch.tv/90snick_pinesal
Retro Battlestation:
FIC VA-503+
AMD K6-2+ @ 600mhz
ATI Rage Fury 16MB
128mb PC100 RAM
137GB SSD
Windows 98

Reply 3 of 7, by Cuttoon

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wow, really nice job on the case there. Any repainted part I ever came by looked like shit but you obviously know what you're doing.

But does Win98 care about the 2 GB of RAM? Think there's not much of a difference beyond 512 MB, iirc.

I like jumpers.

Reply 4 of 7, by chinny22

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I'd of gone with an Audigy 2 ZS for the "final XP era" type build.
but honestly Live! is fine and makes perfect sense if on a budget or just for a friend.

Next you need to start visiting each other and having 9x LAN parties again! 😀

Reply 5 of 7, by keropi

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

nice one!
I also have a 2.4ghz p4 system for some power w98SE gaming - but it's a system I fire up once or twice per year...
still it is great to have max power and get nice fps in games

🎵 🎧 PCMIDI MPU , OrpheusII , Action Rewind , Megacard and 🎶GoldLib soundcard website

Reply 6 of 7, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Cuttoon wrote on 2022-03-22, 19:35:

Think there's not much of a difference beyond 512 MB, iirc.

The instability's a big difference. Seeing the WinME scheme on a Win98 build also implies one of those unstable 'service packs'....

If you cut the ram to 512MB and HDD than SDD, then you'd get something period correct. XP hesitancy was a thing. However i'd highly advise 512MB as a max anyway, as there won't be any Win9x games that want that much (or even 512MB to begin with). 2GB hungry games are more of a 2007+ XP SP3/Vista happening, IIRC Supreme Commander was a big turning point for that..

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 7, by khyypio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
pinesal wrote on 2022-03-22, 19:29:

Good call on painting the case. Looks better as one color.

Wow, really nice job on the case there. Any repainted part I ever came by looked like shit but you obviously know what you're doing.

But does Win98 care about the 2 GB of RAM? Think there's not much of a difference beyond 512 MB, iirc.

Thank you! Unifying the finish is the reason I tend to go for a paintjob 😀 Many beginners make the mistake of thinking that slapping a quick thick layer of spray-paint on a surface makes it look good. It doesn´t. The only right way to paint takes a of lot work, time and patience.

I didn´t do any benchmarks between 512 Mb and 2 Gb, but I´m not sure if there´s really any difference between them with Windows 98. I mainly just add it because I could. But I guess this is useful if you use huge soundfonts or something. Also, I had one build and it had a lot of different software in it and at some point some of the software wouldn´t work because of insufficient memory.

chinny22 wrote on 2022-03-23, 09:36:

I'd of gone with an Audigy 2 ZS for the "final XP era" type build.
but honestly Live! is fine and makes perfect sense if on a budget or just for a friend.

Next you need to start visiting each other and having 9x LAN parties again! 😀

I might upgrade this particular build some day. Haven´t gone to any LAN parties just yet but this is surely something to consider 😁

keropi wrote on 2022-03-23, 09:48:

nice one!
I also have a 2.4ghz p4 system for some power w98SE gaming - but it's a system I fire up once or twice per year...
still it is great to have max power and get nice fps in games

Thank you! After this experience, I don´t see any reason why I shouldn´t go for Pentium 4-powered Windows 98. At this point, I just want to enjoy a powerful and stable Windows 98 PC and this solution would provide it 😀

leileilol wrote on 2022-03-23, 09:57:

Think there's not much of a difference beyond 512 MB, iirc.

The instability's a big difference. Seeing the WinME scheme on a Win98 build also implies one of those unstable 'service packs'....

If you cut the ram to 512MB and HDD than SDD, then you'd get something period correct. XP hesitancy was a thing. However i'd highly advise 512MB as a max anyway, as there won't be any Win9x games that want that much (or even 512MB to begin with). 2GB hungry games are more of a 2007+ XP SP3/Vista happening, IIRC Supreme Commander was a big turning point for that..

You´re drawing a lot of baseless conclusions. You didn´t build, configure nor test this machine, I did. You´re also not using this machine, my friend is. I ask him about it´s working on weekly basis and he tells me it´s running perfectly stable, despite of being in very active use.

The 2 Gb RAM isn´t an issue at all because I used RLoews memory patch, the only question is if there´s any actual use for it.

If you´re referring to Unofficial Service Pack 3, you can absolutely make it highly unstable if don´t know what you´re doing. I´m guessing you´ve just tried to install everything and in one sitting? Then yes, your configuration is pretty much messed up. I use USP3 also in my own Win98 rig and it has been running perfectly