VOGONS

Reply 100 of 145, by Doornkaat

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Irinikus wrote on 2023-04-04, 07:03:

The system’s running XP, and there does appear to be an XP driver for the Fury Maxx!

The way AFR is done in the Fury Maxx is not compatible with NT. While there are drivers Windows NT based OS can only utilise one graphics chip on the Fury Maxx. It'll effectively run as a Rage Fury/128 Pro.

Reply 101 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Doornkaat wrote on 2023-04-05, 13:29:

Afaik no commercially avaliable card was 0.8V signalling only.

Thanks for the info!

And the Quadro FX 3000? (It's keyed differently)

2Xfwd51.jpg

It appears to be an AGP 3.0 universal card?

6h2gRoX.png

YouTube

Reply 102 of 145, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

@Irinikus somebody like you deserves to own my P3TDe6 with a ATI FirePro X2.

I pulled it from service around 2015 to use the case for a X8DTi-F

I used that P3TD for over a decade. It tried a v5500 when new, for about a week. SM took back the board for a mod between W2k and XP and I can't remember the issue, but one of the two bios's is a custom factory mod that along with XP fixed AGP somehow. That bios was maybe never released, or an in between version of the last...

The last 5 years or so it used a generic passive AGP NV video card of some sort. At the time other P3TDLE's were using a AMD 5450HD that went another year or so...

I'm too lazy to put them on Ebay.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 103 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks very much! 😀

We can maybe talk about it in the future, as I currently have my hands pretty full at the moment with the two builds that I'm busy with! (Seeing that I have to import all of these parts it's costing me a small fortune!)

Last edited by Irinikus on 2023-04-05, 17:53. Edited 1 time in total.

YouTube

Reply 104 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Please confirm if the Quadro FX 3000 and the FX 5950 ULTRA are compatible with the AGP Pro setup on this motherboard? (As they appear to be Universal AGP 3.0 cards.)

YouTube

Reply 105 of 145, by CwF

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Irinikus wrote on 2023-04-05, 17:23:

Please confirm if the Quadro FX 3000 and the FX 5950 ULTRA are compatible with the AGP Pro setup on this motherboard? (As they appear to be Universal AGP 3.0 cards.)

I can't, and doubt it. Since that 370DE is a generation back from my P3TD I assume the AGP Pro implementation is similar - which sucked. The bios done by supermicro for the X2 I mentioned only got 2X as I remember and I never considered it stable. I think the *generic* NV card I eventually used was perfectly stable but not really fast. I had similar performance from the LE version of the board using PCI @ 66MHz. If I find the NV card I'll identify it. Overall at the time I was much more impressed with what would run on the PCI66. I was never fond of AGP, having lived through VL tacked on EISA, it felt similar.

I used to know what I was doing...

Reply 106 of 145, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

it should be fine.
i passed some links with relevant info to irinkus, but because of the volume there he missed it some bits.
example

i tried multiple dual cpu mobos from that epoch which have agp pro universal slots.
they handle just fine all agp graphics cards i threw at them so far. including the discussed ones in this thread.
supermicro motherboards are somewhat rigid, so there is always a chance something not to click properly, but should be fine i think.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 108 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just committed to purchase this card from a seller in Germany. I will receive it sometime next month (It may actually arrive before the Quadro2 Pro, which I'm getting from the US, depending on how long the shipping via the the USPS takes!)

ImX9C2n.jpg

xFl458F.jpg

Qz9tya8.jpg

9IGkOuO.jpg

I'll conduct a shootout between the Voodoo5 5500, the Quadro2 pro, the GT 450 and the Quadro FX 3000, once they all arrive and the best performing card will stay in the machine!

In the end it should come down to these two cards: (The much higher memory throughput on the Quadro FX 3000 should give it a bit of an edge in the likes of Quake III, even though its texture and pixel rates are much lower than those on the GT 430!)

8c6Rn9u.png

PzpWM3a.png

YouTube

Reply 111 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2023-04-14, 19:15:

Ohh this is going to be fun!! I can't wait to see your results.

Me too! 😀

pshipkov wrote on 2023-04-14, 23:31:

i dont expect to see perf diff between q2pro and qfx3k, since the delta is small even for qfx4k.
still, it will be an interesting to see how it will play out.

That’s interesting!

I suppose the low performance of the PIII chip, combined with the low throughput on the AGP 2X slot bottlenecks the faster cards.

The Quadro FX 3K should however offer more shading options than the Quadro2 Pro, as it possesses a vertex shader which the Quadro2 Pro lacks, and the use of the AGP slot should hopefully free up the 66MHz PCI bus to some degree, hopefully allowing for more consistent performance of the SATA RAID card when I eventually fit it!

As I’m sure that having the GT 450 PCI and the RAID card on the same bus would hinder performance to some degree.

YouTube

Reply 112 of 145, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yeah, for reference:
I run here Asus P2B-D at 1575/150/45 with tightest BIOS timings.
Overclocking q2pro or qfx4k results in no perf difference, which suggests perf is CPU bound.
Running 1400/133/66 is going to be even more so.

For 3DCC there is no much difference in functionality between these quadros since the apps rely on same immediate mode OpenGL draw calls.
But for the right videogames there will be difference of course.

It will be certainly interesting if you will see notable difference in local storage perf.
Need to think of an app/game/benchmark that heavily utilizes realtime rendering and data streaming to vram.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 113 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pshipkov wrote on 2023-04-15, 01:41:
Yeah, for reference: I run here Asus P2B-D at 1575/150/45 with tightest BIOS timings. Overclocking q2pro or qfx4k results in no […]
Show full quote

Yeah, for reference:
I run here Asus P2B-D at 1575/150/45 with tightest BIOS timings.
Overclocking q2pro or qfx4k results in no perf difference, which suggests perf is CPU bound.
Running 1400/133/66 is going to be even more so.

For 3DCC there is no much difference in functionality between these quadros since the apps rely on same immediate mode OpenGL draw calls.
But for the right videogames there will be difference of course.

It will be certainly interesting if you will see notable difference in local storage perf.
Need to think of an app/game/benchmark that heavily utilizes realtime rendering and data streaming to vram.

Thanks very much for all the info! I really appreciate it! 😀

Although it may not effect the 3DMark score, some (quite a few) of the tests in 3DMark 2001 require features that the likes of the GeForce2 (Quadro2 Pro) and the Voodoo5 5500 lack, hence those tests are skipped.

Obviously the GT 430 completes all the tests, but it will be interesting to see how the Quadro FX 3K compares!

YouTube

Reply 114 of 145, by pshipkov

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

you are welcome.

you got a cool thread going, backed with investment of time and coinz.
i am only cheerleading from the sideline here. thats easy. ; )

btw, it will be fun seeing the most expensive graphics card come last, stomped by the cheapo commoners.

retro bits and bytes

Reply 115 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks! 😀

The Voodoo5 will absolutely get its ass kicked for sure, it's just a question of by how much!

I find these journeys into the past to be extremely enjoyable (Much more so, than with the current latest and greatest available to us!) I kind of lost interest when they started placing RGB lighting on memory modules!!!

YouTube

Reply 116 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I plan to maybe use this Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer Fatal1ty Professional Sound-card in this build, as it's just laying around and the 64MB of X-RAM may possibly offer a small performance boost!

OwQ4hCD.jpg

YouTube

Reply 117 of 145, by ATi_Loyalist

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Any updates @Irinikus?

P4/XP Rig: P4C800 | P4 3.4 | Radeon X850 Pro
A64/XP Rig : A8V | A64 X2 4400+ | X1950 Pro
Ancient Rig: Pentium 166 W | S3 Trio

Reply 118 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
ATi_Loyalist wrote on 2023-05-10, 01:34:

Any updates @Irinikus?

I’m still waiting for the Quadro 2 Pro to arrive from the US, and the Quadro FX 3000 should be sent from Germany sometime in the middle of this month.

I’ll give an update as soon as these cards arrive!

YouTube

Reply 119 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've just got my hands on a patched version of Quake 3 allowing it to operate in an SMP mode: (I'm still running the GT 430 for now)

I now get: 151.1FPS with maximum settings @ 1024x768

In the past the system achieved a maximum of 103.2FPS with this setup using the same settings!!!

It gives the system a huge performance boost! (And also offers SMP for voodoo cards!)

You can download it from a link in the description of this YouTube video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=giho6bxzxeU

You just need to copy the Quake 3 PAK files into the baseq3 directory to get it up and running!

YouTube