VOGONS

Reply 80 of 145, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-04-02, 10:58:
These are the heatsinks I wanted to fit, unfortunately there's just not enough clearance! (They're just too wide!) […]
Show full quote

These are the heatsinks I wanted to fit, unfortunately there's just not enough clearance! (They're just too wide!)

ejZJZyo.jpg

UhOetGd.jpg

UL3xR1Q.jpg

WCPfRMr.jpg

Are the fins cut in both directions? They look nice!

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 81 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-04-02, 17:56:

How thick is the base? Fin thickness is good, but spacing is bit tight.

Cheers,

The real problem is the placement of the secondary ATX power connector and the AGP slot. (They sit very close to the CPU's and heatsink fins aren't high enough off the board to clear them!

fy3f6bn.jpg

The current heatsinks are 5cm wide and the Canopus heatsinks are 7.6cm wide!

YouTube

Reply 84 of 145, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

In my 370DL3 I am using a pair of copper base heatsinks for Socket 462 and they give very good performance, after all they are designed for Athlons with higher TDP.
They do not have a brand and the fans do not give relevant information.
The ones I have I think are this Speeze Spire 5E34B3, the fans are not from Spire but I'm pretty sure.

Reply 85 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Confirm this is the Speeze Spire 5E34B3:

jIvbwWZ.jpg

I'd personally prefer a full-copper heatsink

The cooler that I've shown is a: DYNATRON, C73G, CPU Cooler fan for AMD Socket 462 & Intel Socket 370, which is full-copper with an aluminium structure used purely as a clamping mechanism and a means to mount the fan!

Here's another side pic and a pic of its base plate: (It appears to be of a good quality)

JiMRB8V.jpg

k44KGVc.jpg

YouTube

Reply 88 of 145, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I only showed the heatsink that I use, I'm not saying that the one you've shown is bad, in fact the anchorage to the socket is the perfect one with three holes.
But my experience has shown me that the heatsinks made entirely of copper are not always better, I don't know why, although I think that what happens with copper is that it has more heat conductivity but less capacity to dissipate it, in my experience, during In those days, I often got better results with cheap aluminum heatsinks than expensive copper heatsinks, and before heatpipes were common, my preference was the copper base and aluminum heatsink. If this was not possible, the next thing was to look for a high density, and very thin aluminum. My preference for Socket 462 was the CoolJag JVC352A, but in this case I don't think it can be used.
That DYNATRON heatsink has a good density of fins, but they look very small and thick, so I think it may tend to accumulate heat in that thick base and not be able to dissipate it properly.
The Coolermaster one looks very beautiful, but I guess that it will be very heavy with only one hole on the socket anchorage. And I don't think that those heatpipes are very useful the way they are mounted. Because heatpipes conduct heat from the hottest part to the coolest part, but in that case the fins will also be very hot because they are directly attached to the base of the cooler.
My last favorite in those days for Socket A was the Gigabyte PCU21-VG, it isn't much bigger than the Socket itself, but I never used in Socket 370 because at that moment nobody wanted to buy a Pentium III because 478 and 754 were already common, in fact, the gigabyte cooler has mounting mechanisms for Socket A, 754 and 478. I'm not sure that it won't be to big in this case.
But we are dealing with Pentium III which has a very low TDP.

Last edited by Hoping on 2023-04-03, 18:40. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 89 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Hoping wrote on 2023-04-03, 17:07:
I only showed the heatsink that I use, I'm not saying that the one you've shown is bad, in fact the anchorage to the socket is t […]
Show full quote

I only showed the heatsink that I use, I'm not saying that the one you've shown is bad, in fact the anchorage to the socket is the perfect one with three holes.
But my experience has shown me that the heatsinks made entirely of copper are not always better, I don't know why, although I think that what happens with copper is that it has more heat conductivity but less capacity to dissipate it, in my experience, during In those days, I often got better results with cheap aluminum heatsinks than expensive copper heatsinks, and before heatpipes were common, my preference was the copper base and aluminum heatsink. If this was not possible, the next thing was to look for a high density, and very thin aluminum. My preference for Socket 462 was the CoolJag JVC352A, but in this case I don't think it can be used.
That DYNATRON heatsink has a good density of fins, but they look very small and thick, so I think it may tend to accumulate heat in that thick base and not be able to dissipate it properly.
The Coolermaster one looks very beautiful, but I guess that it will be very heavy with only one hole on the socket anchorage. And I don't think that those heatpipes are very useful the way they are mounted. Because heatpipes conduct heat from the hottest part to the coolest part, but in that case the fins will also be very hot because they are directly attached to the base of the cooler.
My last favorite in those days for Socket A was the Gigabyte PCU21-VG, it isn't much bigger than the Socket itself, but I never used in Socket 370 because at that moment nobody wanted to buy a
Pentium III because 478 and 754 were already common, in fact, the gigabyte cooler has mounting mechanisms for Socket A, 754 and 478. I'm not sure that it won't be to big in this case.
But we are dealing with Pentium III which has a very low TDP.

Thanks very much for your input I really do appreciate it! 😀 (It will be useful for me to get as many perspectives as possible on this subject before I finally make a decision as to which direction to go in.)

YouTube

Reply 92 of 145, by Hoping

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

That sounds like a jet engine, I also suffered that with a Globalwing cooler, but it was only one, I can't imagine how noisy can be two fans like that ones.
Maybe a simple fan controller could help.
Dynatron seems to have really good coolers oriented to servers, very interesting. But in the server room, not much people care about the noise. And server cases usually have good quality fans and usually can be very noisy if I'm not mistaken.
Brands like Sunon and Nidec are common I think in servers like they are in branded computers, and those are a different kind of animal, I like then a lot.

Reply 93 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Here are the specs of the cards I'm set to compare in this machine: (I really think that the features on the GeForce G430 will give it an overall edge on the other cards!!!)

DvYBrI5.png

FUaglHU.png

PzpWM3a.png

I may also throw one of these into the mix in the future, as it has a vertex shader which the Quadro2 pro lacks:

BSySHih.png

YouTube

Reply 95 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I may take a look at an ATI card as well! The ATI Rage Fury Max does interest me to a degree! (Even though its performance will be dismal, looking at its stats!)

Cj7q8EB.png

The first and only ATI cards I've ever purchased up to this point are an XFX HD 5970 Black Edition and an ASUS AREZ ! (When ATI was giving Nvidia a bit of a beating!!!)

As cool as the AREZ is, I just couldn't get myself to keep it in my machine once I got the GTX590, as the GTX590 absolutely destroyed it!!! (That being said, the AREZ is the heaviest and most well made Graphics card I've ever seen, pity the drivers were so bad!!!)

Some of the last cards to bear the ATI name!

Eat76h6.jpg

YouTube

Reply 96 of 145, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Irinikus wrote on 2023-04-03, 21:19:

I may take a look at an ATI card as well! The ATI Rage Fury Max does interest me to a degree! (Even though its performance will be dismal, looking at its stats!)

Also the drivers don't support using both GPUs under an NT based OS, so it's either dual CPU or dual GPU with a Fury Maxx, unfortunately ...

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 97 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I’ll opt to install and run each of these cards individually and the best of them will stay in the system and it may be a good idea to frame the rest of them! The Rage Fury Maxx and the Voodoo5 would look great together in a frame! (They both represent the first of the dual GPU consumer graphics cards!)

The system’s running XP, and there does appear to be an XP driver for the Fury Maxx!

YouTube

Reply 98 of 145, by Irinikus

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Does a Quadro FX 4000 run at 1.5V or 0.8V? (I know that it's an 8X card!)

ik86oMg.jpg

Here's my systems AGP slot it's an AGP Pro 2X:

SBgOQL1.jpg

In other words, would I safely be able to slot one of these into this motherboard without blowing it up?

YouTube