VOGONS

Tiny 486 build - SBC with ISA backplane

Topic actions

First post, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've wanted to build a tiny 486 system for a while now, partly as a means to put everything I want in a small package, but also as a way to be able to put my larger systems away into storage and have an all-in-one-does-pretty-much-anything-dos-or-early-Win95 system on my desk and thus claw back a load of space in my office.

I've looked at pizza-box systems from Elonex and Olivetti, and have almost made the purchase of some cute little 386 systems, and whilst they would definitely fill part of the requirement (definitely the early end of the Dos spectrum), they would be compromised in terms of expansion capabilities and severely underpowered for the later stuff (Doom, RoTT, DN3D etc).

I've looked at a couple of industrial SBC systems in the past, but have never spotted any that were reasonably priced. But just a few days ago I spotted an Advantech PCA-6145 system in my semi-regular trawl through ebay... in fact, I spotted several ranging in price from £99-£140, from various sellers, with various combinations of specifications.

The PCA-6145 is a 16 bit ISA card, only slightly longer than the length of the 16 bit slot itself, and a little taller than the average ISA card - the specs say 185mm by 122mm.

pca6145.jpg
Filename
pca6145.jpg
File size
270.34 KiB
Views
File comment
A pca6145 - not mine
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

It's a relatively standard socket 3 design, supporting up to Cyrix 5x86 120/133 and AMD X5-133 processors, 128kb cache, with a single (EDO supported) 72pin SIMM socket, onboard VL-bus C&T 65550 VGA, PS2 keyboard (with PS2 mouse support via a PS2 Y-cable), 1x IDE header, 1x FDD header, 2x Serial (1x DB9 + 1x header) and 1x Parallel header. With (optional) ethernet and disk-on-chip parts. Mine doesn't have the latter. Cheapest option for me was a low-ball bid on a card from a Chinese seller. Including shipping it was significantly less than the lowest advertised card. With fingers crossed, the card should be here in a week or so.

Meanwhile I have been sorting out the 'backplane' I will use - and in this case, since I want a small system, I've gone with a 3 slot ISA riser from a Compaq:

img20240223142403.jpg
Filename
img20240223142403.jpg
File size
93.14 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I'm adding a sound card, an ESS ES1868F design, which will be getting a WP32 McCake/Pi/MT32/Fluidsynth addon at some point in the future:

img20240223142420.jpg
Filename
img20240223142420.jpg
File size
88.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

The last card is also still on its way, and it will be an RTL8019AS network card. Primarily to host an XT-IDE ROM, but also to round out the file transfer/IO options, since I'd have preferred an SBC with ethernet, but the one I found didn't have it fitted.

I was intending to run with just a CF card for storage, but as luck would have it, with the card fitted to the ISA riser, there is just enough space under the bottom card to fit a full sized 3.5" floppy, so I'll be attempting to squeeze in one of those. Power is to be supplied by a 90w PicoPSU, with an external 12v power brick. The mock-up of how the cards, backplane and floppy will be arranged looks somewhat like this at present (the Trident VGA card is clearly not going to be used):

img20240223144922.jpg
Filename
img20240223144922.jpg
File size
196.55 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Size is going to be around 21cm deep, 10cm high, and around 15-16cm wide... so pretty damn tiny. I have made the (possibly silly) decision to attempt to make the enclosure out of wood... so we shall see how bad I can make that look! 🤣

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 1 of 64, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

So, where do you plan on connecting the 12V power brick? Does the SBC take that directly and makes it's other necessary voltages?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 2 of 64, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, the picoPSU, I get it now, thought that was the name of the power brick 🤣 my bad

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 3 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, the SBC can be powered either via the ISA bus, or via a floppy style power header. I'll be using the latter.

Reply 4 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Made a decision on the case - I'm using maple for the top and bottom panels, with a darker acacia wood for the front, rear and sides - I wanted a contrasting colour rather than being the same on every face. Boards have been ordered and are on their way.

I also just had a Pi Compute Module 4 delivered today, to be used for a WP32 McCake setup, but am holding off on ordering the McCake itself, as Serdashop can only send via business post to the UK at the moment (and it means post is almost the same cost as the McCake itself).

Reply 6 of 64, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

You'll need to test it out, but that floppy connector will only supply +5V and +12V, I'm not convinced it will power the whole ISA expansion board and do voltage conversion. It's possible, but test the board by itself first. And then plugged into the riser without any other cards and test that you have the various power rails.

It might make sense to create a small PCB that has a 90 degree ISA slot, and 90 degree ATX power socket. Then you can pull power directly from the PicoPSU and only have the floppy drive, and McCake drawing power rather than all of it passing through that single cable, it will also cover the energized edge of the riser. You could also add a simple header to connect a switch to actually power the machine on.

Are the pictures of the actual card you ordered? I wonder with that CN5 connector at the bottom is. I'm wondering if it's like a PC/104 connector. Maybe it would be possible to connect a SoundBlaster type card there like the Vortext86 uses to have digital audio, then you'd have room for a PicoGUS which will give you GUS and a real MPU401.

Reply 7 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, it is indeed a PC/104 connector. Fortunately I already had the ES1868F, so that was a zero cost option for me.

Sadly my GUS Max and AWE32 are going to have to go into storage as well. When I bought the GUS (new, when they came out) I used it extensively, alongside a SB2.0, but these days it's Roland gear, almost exclusively (either real, or via MT32pi). The GUS is currently in a 486DLC and I found I just don't use it.

The picture is of the same model card, but not mine. Mine appears to have a decent capacity simm installed (double sided, at least 16 chips), as well as a CPU with heatsink and fan (so I'm guessing at least a DX4 - though I have an AMD X5 133 in my spares).

The SBC manual mentions using the onboard power header instead of the ISA interface... but it is curiously short on details of the pinout. We would assume it is standard floppy pinout..... but in the worst case with the power, I can solder the main AT voltages direct to the riser card, as I've left plenty of room between the back of the card and the case for mounting hardware.

Reply 8 of 64, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
megatron-uk wrote on 2024-02-24, 18:23:

Sadly my GUS Max and AWE32 are going to have to go into storage as well. When I bought the GUS (new, when they came out) I used it extensively, alongside a SB2.0, but these days it's Roland gear, almost exclusively (either real, or via MT32pi). The GUS is currently in a 486DLC and I found I just don't use it.

If you're mainly going to play games rather than just tinkering and generally MIDI, then your setup should be fine.

I just mentioned the PicoGUS as it gives you not only a GUS in a small form factor but also hardware IRQ MPU401 support so you don't need to mess with SoftMPU for those MT32 games that need it, and error an error-free external MIDI port. It's also flashable on the fly to be an OPL2 Adlib card, CMS Gamebaster, or Tandy 3 voice. It's a crazy Swiss Army Knife for the various music options in DOS games. It's just missing the digital audio side of things, SB support is being added, but I'm not sure if it will be able to do SB digital audio and something like GUS at the same time. So right now, it pairs best with a 16-bit SB that can also do OPL3. But it might make sense to keep an eye on what it can do in the future.

Reply 9 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Indeed, if it had SB/Pro/16 digital support then that would be a hell of an all-in-one option, and certainly one to consider if you wanted a single slot solution.

I'll probably keep my (real) MT32, SC55 and SC8820 out on the shelf for use in Dosbox and with my (real) X68000 and PC-98. Everything else I can do with Dosbox and this little 486 system (a lot of dev work I do in Dosbox, but testing on real hardware is always a key criteria). I therefore free up 3 mini towers and 1 desktop case worth of desk-top and under-desk space. It was getting quite cluttered!

Reply 10 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Realtek 8019AS ISA card arrived today. Waiting for the 486 SBC to complete the stack of ISA cards.

Reply 11 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Wood for the case has arrived:

IMG_20240301_181852_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
Filename
IMG_20240301_181852_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
File size
127.82 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG_20240301_181920_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
Filename
IMG_20240301_181920_(800_x_600_pixel).jpg
File size
80.54 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Shipping tracker for the 486 SBC is showing that it should be arriving tomorrow.

Reply 12 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

486 SBC arrived this morning. No damage, and CPU and RAM installed as shown... but... wow, it stunk!

IMG20240302111440-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240302111440-.jpg
File size
301.42 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG20240302111458-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240302111458-.jpg
File size
364.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Definitely been used in an industrial setting - the smell was like burnt metal. It has clearly seen many years of use (date code on the stickers on the chips says 4th of 5th month of 2000). The cpu fan screws are rusted out, and the backplate, while not rusted, had definitely started to wear the zinc coating off the metal. So the entire board has been washed in 99% IPA, and it's feeling (and smelling) a lot better, I also rubbed down the IO plate with 500 grit paper. It also uncovered the CPU, which is a DX4-100:

IMG20240302114227-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240302114227-.jpg
File size
379.81 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Here's the setup of the stack now:

IMG20240302115722-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240302115722-.jpg
File size
187.63 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

... and in a possible vertical case alignment:

IMG20240302115924-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240302115924-.jpg
File size
121.92 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

Next is to get it plugged in and tested. I'll probably do this with it as a standalone card, before it gets plugged into anything else.

Reply 13 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also the silkscreen on the board confirms that the alternative power connection is a standard +5/0/0/+12 terminal - i.e. a 4 pin mini-spox/3.5" FDD power cable matches perfectly.

Reply 14 of 64, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Once you get it working standalone, plug it into the backplane by itself and see if you have the -5V and -12V power on the other ISA slots.

I see a single transistor, which is likely generating 3.3V for the CPU. But I don't see anything that would generate the other voltages.

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/common … SA_Bus_pins.svg

Reply 15 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Yes, I am fairly certain the only voltage conversion going on is via that regulator for the processor socket. Nothing else I can see.

I don't need -5v, that I'm aware of, but I had a feeling -12v was used more commonly. I can always take it from the atx pins on the Pico connector if needed.

Reply 16 of 64, by SScorpio

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

-5V was mainly used by older sound cards, the ESS is likely new enough, but you never know.

-12V was more commonly used, check the pinout Wikipedia link I posted and then look at your cards. They generally won't have a pad on the slot if it doesn't use the voltage, so you can check your sound and network cards.

Reply 18 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
SScorpio wrote on 2024-03-03, 00:18:

-5V was mainly used by older sound cards, the ESS is likely new enough, but you never know.

-12V was more commonly used, check the pinout Wikipedia link I posted and then look at your cards. They generally won't have a pad on the slot if it doesn't use the voltage, so you can check your sound and network cards.

Okay, looking at the 8019AS NIC it uses neither -5v or -12v; pads B05 and B07 are both missing.

On the other hand, with the ESS ES1868F sound card, whilst B07 / -12v is missing, it does have a pad for B05 / -5v. However, there are a lot of missing, optional components on this card and I see no amplification circuitry of any kind - there is just the ES1868F chip, an oscillator, some electrolytics and a small handful of (i think?) inductors. The card also doesn't have a labelled speaker out (just line out).

IMG20240303081809-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240303081809-.jpg
File size
497.43 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0
IMG20240303081756-.jpg
Filename
IMG20240303081756-.jpg
File size
583.17 KiB
Views
File license
CC-BY-4.0

I strongly suspect that B05 / -5v is there for optional onboard amplifier for a speaker-out connection with this card. The ES1868F chip datasheet doesn't show any -5v DC requirements for the chip itselfthe only mention of input voltages are a VDDD pin (digital voltage +) and VDDA (analogue voltage +4.5v to +5.5v DC).

Reply 19 of 64, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Although, now digging deeper, the waveblaster header specifies a -12v DC voltage on pin 22.... this would mean that this card technically doesn't meet the requirements of hosting a waveblaster daughterboard.

I only have a NEC XR385 (which I won't be using - far too big), but am planning on getting a WP32 McCake in the near future. I'm wondering if that would actually need the -12v line...