VOGONS

First post, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just a bunch of parts from a lot I got locally. Managed to find the right combo for me and ended up with:

MB: DTK PRM 27i E0

Would've went for an ABIT BX133-RAID but wanted 4 DIMM slots so the PRM-27i E0, despite quite spartan looking, was the board I would entrust.
That, and I have the very board the BX133-RAID was born from, the BE6-II (although the HPT366 revision). Other than the differences between those two being the socket and RAID controller, it doesn't make sense to buy a BX133-RAID for me, when I can get the BE6-II to do that w/ a slotket, and with no issues at all.

CPU - Intel Pentium III, SL4C8 - 800EB, 256KB L2, 133MHz FSB

The main star of the build. I'm fairly sure this pushes the BX chipset out of bounds but for all I care it manages to run trouble free so far. As rock solid as my BE6-II/SL5DV combo even!
Cooled off by a standard Cooler Master cooler meant for early Athlons and Durons, which is surprisingly bearable sound wise.

GPU - ASUS V9180SE Rev 1.00

Your average Geforce 4 MX440, AGP8x. Seems to be in great shape and might just need a bit of a dust-off. 64MB VRAM (DDR I think), not sure if 64 or 128bit.

LAN - Infineon AN983B PCI
Realtek clone I suppose (although it doesn't the slightest use Realtek drivers), runs fast and snappy on downloading drivers and stuff off the internet.

HDD - IBM Deskstar DPTA-371360

The classic Deskstar that is one of the other stars of this build. It is a pleasant surprise to still have one that's working (besides an even more "rare" drive - a 20GB Deskstar 60GXP!).
Originally pulled from a Gateway GP6-400 that underwent a vast customization process.

PSU - Seasonic SS-350FS

Originally disguised as a "ATX switching power supply" (seriously, someone actually went great lengths to mark a Seasonic as a noname PSU!!!), I replaced its torn sticker with a simple one from a cheapo Deer PSU, now reading "ANS LC-B400ATX".
Has been recapped.

ODD - Optiarc AD-7170A

Nothing much to say about it. Original drive, rebadged version would be Plextor PX-800A.

Sound - SB Live! 5.1 SB0100

The best choice. It was either this, an Audigy 1394, a SB16 Value and a YMF-719. Figured I'd stick with a classic card that is supported over many OS's and is PnP.

Other - NEC USB 2.0 card

Useful for transferring games over a USB pendrive, and doesn't run as painfully slow as the onboard USB ports.

OS - Windows 98 SE

Good ole' 98SE. Surprisingly, it didn't even complain when I threw 512MB of SDR at it. Didn't require any VCache editing - it just werks! Has KernelEX 4.52, NUSB3.6 so far, and I'm planning on installing a whole lot of MDGx's fixes on it to further enhance it.

file.php?mode=view&id=186755
file.php?mode=view&id=186756
file.php?mode=view&id=186757
file.php?mode=view&id=186861

Attachments

"Enter at your own peril, past the bolted door..."
Main PC: i5 3470, GB B75M-D3H, 16GB RAM, 2x1TB
98SE : P3 650, Soyo SY-6BA+IV, 384MB RAM, 80GB

Reply 1 of 6, by megatron-uk

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I trust those deskstars about as far as I can throw them! I had two different models fail on me back in the day - a 40 and a 60, IIRC. At least one of them was a glass platter model, and it made a glorious shattering noise when I took great pleasure in destroying it with a hammer! 🤣

My collection database and technical wiki:
https://www.target-earth.net

Reply 2 of 6, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

It always makes me laugh that I have the best experiences with drives most people were ripping their hair out with 🤣, I have a bunch of those slimline Maxtor drives and while most have always said they're bad, I never had one fail to this day. Same goes with those Deskstars, and I know this one has been running for a good 4-5 years 12h/day before being decommisioned from its old workplace to not worry about fail. (the GP6-400 it came out from was used as a sort of POS machine)

Reply 3 of 6, by H3nrik V!

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Oh, wait, will that board run 33 MHz on PCI at FSB 133? AFAIR, one of the biggest issues for the IBM DeathStars was high PCI frequency?

Please use the "quote" option if asking questions to what I write - it will really up the chances of me noticing 😀

Reply 4 of 6, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
H3nrik V! wrote on 2024-02-29, 11:13:

Oh, wait, will that board run 33 MHz on PCI at FSB 133? AFAIR, one of the biggest issues for the IBM DeathStars was high PCI frequency?

It does! The FSB/PCI option in the bios reads 133/33, though it looks like the board automatically sets it accordingly to what CPU I use, despite jumpers being present on the board.
(not at home yet so can't snip a photo of the BIOS setting)

However, the other one I have (Deskstar 60GXP, model IC35L020AVER07-0) doesn't seem to care much about PCI frequency - I recall using it for a while on the BE6-II w/ a 133FSB CPU (and I'm not fully sure if the PCI was in spec) on a slotket and it didn't even flinch.
Any lockups I had were usually IRQ problems related to the PCI USB2.0 card and in which slot it'd reside - so far I had a similar issue here and shuffling the order of the cards (AGP, free slot, LAN, USB2.0, SBLive 5.1) solved the issue - I wonder if I can translate the same card order to an ABIT BP6 that I had a lot of troubles with when trying to use USB cards (either VIA or NEC), namely locking up during boot if the USB card was present.

Reply 5 of 6, by the3dfxdude

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

That is such with manufacturing defects in same model span. The bad drives died a long time ago when they were practically new. The ones still in service today could possibly last for some time to come because they were good drives.

Reply 6 of 6, by PcBytes

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Could be. Given this one ran in a quite endurance environment and it still chugs along, I suppose it still has good life left in it, and the 60GXP I have seems to have not been used very much.

Aaaaand just found another Deskstar - an old 4.3GB Deskstar 4, model DCAA-34330. Dunno why some sites list it as Ultrastar despite being standard IDE.

btw here's the BIOS setting for FSB/PCI. Highest it will go is 150/37 but I'm really wary of running it at that given the Deskstar 34GXP I'm using.

Attachments