Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

General information and assistance with Munt.

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby Srandista » 2019-8-09 @ 17:05

I remember, that I receive error during compilation of 2.3.0 a while ago, so I stayed on 2.2.0. Did you have same problem, or all went smoothly?
Last edited by Srandista on 2019-8-10 @ 06:10, edited 1 time in total.
My overkill "retro" PC - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 512MB/4GB RAM, Radeon 9500@9700 (Softmod), ESS Solo-1 + Dreamblaster X2, 80GB IDE HDD, Win 98/XP
User avatar
Srandista
Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: 2017-4-07 @ 17:14
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-8-10 @ 02:46

I'm going to build the latest SVN tonight. Feedback to follow.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6421
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby appiah4 » 2019-8-10 @ 05:21

2.3.0 was butter smooth. I compiles on Debian 10. QtMobility is no longer in repo for that, but I'm not using the GUI just the daemon called from rc.local at boot, so it wasn't an issue.

I haven't tried with the USB MIDI but it should work fine with a simple aconnect between that and mt32d. I will add the “sleep 5” and the aconnect line to rc.local to automate it.
A500:+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
i386:Am386SX-25|4M|TVGA9000B|ES688/OPL
i486:U5S-33|8M|GD5428|YMF719/MUNT-Pi
i586:P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
i686:K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
S370:P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
S754:A3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-8-10 @ 14:50

If you can craft a udev rule that does the aconnect for you, you'll probably be able to dispense with the sleep delay. Similarly, running everything through 14:0 eliminates timing issues with the USB interface or mt32d coming up.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6421
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby Srandista » 2019-8-10 @ 19:47

appiah4 wrote:QtMobility is no longer in repo for that, but I'm not using the GUI just the daemon called from rc.local at boot, so it wasn't an issue.

This part of the guide wasn't updated on RetroPie, but you can use qtmultimedia5-dev instead as mentioned in OP.
My overkill "retro" PC - ASRock 4CoreDual-VSTA, Pentium E6500K, 512MB/4GB RAM, Radeon 9500@9700 (Softmod), ESS Solo-1 + Dreamblaster X2, 80GB IDE HDD, Win 98/XP
User avatar
Srandista
Member
 
Posts: 373
Joined: 2017-4-07 @ 17:14
Location: Czech Republic

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-8-13 @ 05:40

I used the Pi 3 base image for Devuan 2.0[1] and compiled with the dependencies listed in the OP. Everything worked swimmingly -- although my wall adapter was acting stupidly, but that's another story.

[1] Download devuan_ascii_2.0.0_arm64_raspi3.img.xz from https://files.devuan.org/devuan_ascii/embedded/
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6421
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby appiah4 » 2019-8-14 @ 09:40

gdjacobs wrote:If you can craft a udev rule that does the aconnect for you, you'll probably be able to dispense with the sleep delay. Similarly, running everything through 14:0 eliminates timing issues with the USB interface or mt32d coming up.


I'm unfortunately not well equipped to do this but I started looking at this: https://linuxconfig.org/tutorial-on-how ... s-in-linux

I guess I need to add a udev role that does the aconnect once mt32d is started and the USB MIDI interface modules are loaded?

Srandista wrote:
appiah4 wrote:QtMobility is no longer in repo for that, but I'm not using the GUI just the daemon called from rc.local at boot, so it wasn't an issue.

This part of the guide wasn't updated on RetroPie, but you can use qtmultimedia5-dev instead as mentioned in OP.


Ah, makes sense I guess. It was probably installed by default on Buster.
A500:+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
i386:Am386SX-25|4M|TVGA9000B|ES688/OPL
i486:U5S-33|8M|GD5428|YMF719/MUNT-Pi
i586:P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
i686:K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
S370:P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
S754:A3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-8-14 @ 13:21

appiah4 wrote:I guess I need to add a udev role that does the aconnect once mt32d is started and the USB MIDI interface modules are loaded?


If you use the MIDI-through device, mt32d doesn't have to be started when you connect the USB MIDI interface.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6421
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby appiah4 » 2019-8-14 @ 15:28

gdjacobs wrote:
appiah4 wrote:I guess I need to add a udev role that does the aconnect once mt32d is started and the USB MIDI interface modules are loaded?


If you use the MIDI-through device, mt32d doesn't have to be started when you connect the USB MIDI interface.


SMH.. SO I aconnect the USB Midi to Midi Through (14:0?).. And how does that connect to MT32D (128:0) exactly?
A500:+512K|ACA500+|C1084S
i386:Am386SX-25|4M|TVGA9000B|ES688/OPL
i486:U5S-33|8M|GD5428|YMF719/MUNT-Pi
i586:P133|32M|S3T64+/MX2|V1|CT3980/32M
i686:K6-2/400|64M|V2/SLI|CT4500/32M
S370:P3-1200|384M|GF4Ti4200|MX300
S754:A3700+|2G|X1950PRO|SB0350
User avatar
appiah4
l33t
 
Posts: 3684
Joined: 2017-2-19 @ 07:36

Re: Emulating MT-32 on an RPi2

Postby gdjacobs » 2019-8-14 @ 19:03

You connect 14:0 to MT32D. Both links can be established independent of each other, so you don't need to worry about the other side of the equation when adding a device or synth.
User avatar
gdjacobs
l33t++
 
Posts: 6421
Joined: 2015-11-03 @ 05:51
Location: The Great White North

Previous

Return to MT-32 General

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 1 guest