VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am running DosBox on Debian. I have done so in the past without problems. I am trying to install a game and I get the error:

Illegal Command: __insth.
"There is not enough space on c to install Police Quest II"
"Approximetly 1.8 mb of disk space are required"

Immediately, I found that using mount c ~/gamesDir -freespace 1024 would be the fix. After giving the drive up to 10GB of freespace, I realize there must be something else going on.

Does anyone know what else the problem might be? I have downloaded other games that did not require an install and they run fine.... it's just installing games, I am having problems with.

Reply 6 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

and 200mb is alot of space

Not Really. A full install of XS requires 400 MB. A humongous install of Fallout requires 650 MB.

That's more for futureproofing into Moore's Law if anything. Hard drives of the DOS era are usually around the 50MB-2GB range and a full install like that wasn't ever often considered. A bit later into 1998, Baldur's Gate maximum installation was 3.3GB iirc and on '98 gamers' hard drives being barely 5GB+ one wouldn't take the chance 😜

Growing up from the days I still see even 50mb+ downloads as 'big' in 2010.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

and 200mb is alot of space

Not Really. A full install of XS requires 400 MB. A humongous install of Fallout requires 650 MB.

I guess you didn't noticed that Police Quest II was released decade before these games

Reply 9 of 11, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

maybe because the parameter is -freesize ...

Thanks for the correction... I couldn't remember which it was because either of those fix the problem.

I have tried going, way up, beyond what I need and a little above what I need. Still no go. I know that the disk space is properly being set because when I run dir in C:\ it shows the correct amount of space.

I will keep messing with it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.