VOGONS

-freespace not working

Topic actions

First post, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I am running DosBox on Debian. I have done so in the past without problems. I am trying to install a game and I get the error:

Illegal Command: __insth.
"There is not enough space on c to install Police Quest II"
"Approximetly 1.8 mb of disk space are required"

Immediately, I found that using mount c ~/gamesDir -freespace 1024 would be the fix. After giving the drive up to 10GB of freespace, I realize there must be something else going on.

Does anyone know what else the problem might be? I have downloaded other games that did not require an install and they run fine.... it's just installing games, I am having problems with.

Reply 1 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

give it less freespace

Reply 2 of 11, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No go.... I tried all the way down to -freespace 200.

Reply 3 of 11, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe because the parameter is -freesize ...

Reply 5 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
DosFreak wrote:

and 200mb is alot of space

Not Really. A full install of XS requires 400 MB. A humongous install of Fallout requires 650 MB.

Reply 6 of 11, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

Not Really. A full install of XS requires 400 MB. A humongous install of Fallout requires 650 MB.

That's more for futureproofing into Moore's Law if anything. Hard drives of the DOS era are usually around the 50MB-2GB range and a full install like that wasn't ever often considered. A bit later into 1998, Baldur's Gate maximum installation was 3.3GB iirc and on '98 gamers' hard drives being barely 5GB+ one wouldn't take the chance 😜

Growing up from the days I still see even 50mb+ downloads as 'big' in 2010.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 7 of 11, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
SKARDAVNELNATE wrote:
DosFreak wrote:

I guess you didn't noticed that Police Quest II was released decade before these games

Reply 8 of 11, by SKARDAVNELNATE

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
robertmo wrote:

I guess you didn't noticed that Police Quest II was released decade before these games

That is correct.

Reply 9 of 11, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
ripsaw8080 wrote:

maybe because the parameter is -freesize ...

Thanks for the correction... I couldn't remember which it was because either of those fix the problem.

I have tried going, way up, beyond what I need and a little above what I need. Still no go. I know that the disk space is properly being set because when I run dir in C:\ it shows the correct amount of space.

I will keep messing with it. If anyone has any suggestions, please let me know. Thanks.

Reply 10 of 11, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Downloaded from another site and now I get this:

Illegal command: instgame.bat

Reply 11 of 11, by x000111

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The game works though.