VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Somewhat Damaged

User metadata

I am running Mac OS X 10.2.8

I was wondering why the games seem to go so slow. I am absolutely THRILLED that I can run my old favorites -- Leisure Suit Larry, King's Quest, Legend of Kyrandia, Afterlife, Ultima: Underworld 2, etc. -- but they just seem to move SO SLOW.

The best speed seems to be at "2500 cycles."

I have an iBook with 500mhz and 128mb of ram...

I know, my computer sucks, but I was wondering if it is too slow to emulate/run DosBox? 😵

thanks

Reply 1 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

i think 2500 is even to high for your machine. (2500 is the default)
The other endian stuff is taking quite some resources.
try setting frameskip to 2

and try again with ctrl-f12 to speed dosbox up

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 2 of 7, by Somewhat Damaged

User metadata

O.K I am ditching the "front-end" program that I am using, and going to try just running it straight out of Terminal.

Thank you so much for the quick reply!

I will use F-12, as well as the frameskip option.

I would have read a "README" file, but it doesn't seem to come with the OS X version of the program. 😵

I NEVER thought I'd be able to run Ultima Underworld 2 on my computer... this is an amazing day. =:-) Thanks again! I'll let you know how it works... Now, if I could just turn off EMS... It's O.K, I'll find that configfile SOMEWHERE! 😉

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

config -writeconf dosbox.conf

http://cvs.sourceforge.net/viewcvs.py/dosbox/ … .28&view=markup

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by Somewhat Damaged

User metadata

I'm such a newbie... I can't even figure out how to OPEN dosbox through my terminal.. I tried "dosbox" and "./dosbox" ... Like I said, no idea what I'm doing. 😒

Anyway, I was able to open it with an OS X program called "dOSboX Launcher," but unfortunately it just runs TOO SLOW.

My computer is humiliating.. 500 mhz... *sob* Oh well, I can *kinda* see the opening screen to Ultima UW2 and LSL1, but I couldn't dream of being able to move around without complete lag and going crazy because of the music speed. Frameskip 10 is better than nothing, I guess.

Time to get a new computer? 😒

Reply 6 of 7, by mirekluza

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Well, 500 Mhz is really too slow for Ultima Underworld 2 in DOSBOX. Probably only new computer would help here (or buying an old PC and running it natively).

Mirek