DOSBox Game Launcher (DOSBox Frontend)

Topic actions

Reply 420 of 1972, by EvaUnit02

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi Rcblanke,

I love your frontend, light weight and straight-forward. 😎

Could you please add support for 16:10 resolutions, or at least custom resolutions?

I have fixed aspect ratio scaling enabled in my Nvidia driver and a 1680x1050 monitor. If I don't run Dosbox at the monitor's native res, the output is sometimes horizontally offset - the lower 3rd or so the program being cut-off. This happens when jumping between the actual game and FMV playback, the video is often at a fixed resolution much lower than the 4:3 resolution that I would be running (ie 1280x960). This is particularly annoying in FMV heavy games, like Wing Commander 3.

I'm running XP x64, Dosbox 0.72, Nvidia 8800GT 512MB.

Many thanks in advance.

Last edited by EvaUnit02 on 2008-09-07, 11:25. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 421 of 1972, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

You can fix that yourself. Edit the settings.conf file so the fullresolution line reads something like:

fullresolution=original 320x200<space>#<space>16:10 640x480<space>#<space>4:3 800x600<space>#<space>4:3 1024x768<space>#<space>4:3 1280x768<space>#<space>16:10 1280x960<space>#<space>4:3 1280x1024<space>#<space>5:4 1600x1200<space>#<space>4:3 1680x1050<space>#<space>16:10 1920x1200<space>#<space>16:10 0x0<space>#<space>auto

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 423 of 1972, by redbear

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am using the little program and it is good specially for a new user like me i have really so many time that i do not configure a DOS game so i almost forgot everything about it i am just remember now.

Any way there is a problem with the joystick calibration using dbgl the calibration of thrtle and rudder is not all the way or all the range of the periferical there is something that is hap'pening with the configuration of the file or something.

Thats happen to me if i use outo as a joystick type but when i use th joystick, because i have a Thrusmaster cougar i the program did not see the movement of the throttle and the rudder.

When i load the program using a different utility like dosshell the calibration is wonderfull.

I check the settings on the settings. conf file and everythings seems to be normal so any recomandation of what to check.

My operation system is windows xp sp 3

Reply 425 of 1972, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi everybody,

Just noticed a regression in profile duplication; mounting settings get lost in the newly created profile. See attachment for a fixed jar.

Also a note; SWT 3.4 has a serious bug which may cause incorrect combo-box selections in the various DBGL dialogs. SWT version 3.3 is unaffected and works fine. Please do not upgrade (swt.jar) until this issue is properly resolved.

EDIT: jar removed since it is outdated.

Last edited by rcblanke on 2009-02-17, 18:02. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 427 of 1972, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Phew, I just read through the entire thread to try and soak in the work on this program. I've been dying to jump into setting up a dedicated computer to store and run my old games flawlessly. I bought a shiny Acer Aspire One to do just this. 😀 I set up my first profile for Doom 2, but I seem to be overlooking how to add multiplayer IPX commands. Do I need to make separate profiles if I want to play Doom 2 single-player, multiplayer host (IPXNET STARTSERVER), and multiplayer (IPXNET CONNECT 192.168.1.x)?

Thanks to everyone involved in this project! If I can help in any small way, please let me know. I will beta test my heart out for the cause! 😁

Reply 428 of 1972, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Responding to my own post as an update: I figured out how to tweak the individual .conf files for Doom 2 (and now Quake) to reduce the profiles needed. On the computer that will host, for the Doom 2 (multiplayer) profile, I added:

[autoexec]
mount c "DOOM2"
ipxnet startserver
C:
cd \
SETUP.EXE
exit

I chose to point the executable to SETUP.EXE so that I could setup a session manually. If I just wanted two players, I could have simply pointed it to IPXSETUP.EXE instead, and it would start the game instantly once the other computer connected.

On the other computer, I tweaked the .conf to add:

[autoexec]
mount C "C:\DOOM2"
ipxnet connect 192.168.1.3
C:
cd \
IPXSETUP.EXE
exit

I am assuming that one computer will always do the hosting, thus the specific IP address mapping (192.168.1.3).

For Quake I pretty much did the same thing, except I only needed one profile. Just added IPXNET STARTSERVER to the profile on one computer and IPXNET CONNECT 192.168.1.3 in the other. It doesn't matter which computer hosts and which joins. Once the tunnel is connected, I was able to swap hosts with no problems.

Reply 430 of 1972, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Um, a tiny issue: any time I change the profile, the [autoexec] parameters lose any changes I made. May I humbly request that this *not* happen?

Reply 431 of 1972, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Create BAT-files with your start-up commands, and tell DBGL to run the BAT-file. Then you won't need to preserve the autoexec-section.

Reply 433 of 1972, by Metron4

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Wahoo! I guess I'll hold off on customizing other ipx games until then.

@MiniMax: That sounds like a good idea. What I was doing was setting the profiles to Read Only mode as a workaround. I should refresh my knowledge on making batch files.

Reply 434 of 1972, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just dropping a mention that I still love this front end 😉. When I started to use Dosbox, I didn't like the idea of frontends because they were so primitive and lacked the functions I wanted but DBGL has everything I need and I now have over 300 games in its database. It's brilliant for trouble shooting a game as well and great for mounting several CDs at once!

Reply 435 of 1972, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Hi all,

Here's another DBGL test-build, 0.63b. It features ipxnet support. Also new is the possibility to export your game-list to another file, such as a plain TXT file, a basic .CSV or a fancy HTML page. You will have to create a "xsl" directory in your DBGL (data) directory and put the 3 xsl files that are attached, in there. I would recommend you also create an "export" directory to store your exported lists in.

If you know how to write xsl files, feel free to create your own export formats. When you put them in the xsl folder, they'll show up in DBGL.

Regards,
Ronald

EDIT: fixed attachment version-label, thanks MiniMax!
EDIT2: files removed since they are outdated.

Last edited by rcblanke on 2009-02-17, 18:02. Edited 3 times in total.

Reply 437 of 1972, by rcblanke

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Eminutia wrote:

This may sound stupid but..what's a frontend? I read the definition on Wikipedia, but it seems a little ambiguous. Anyone care to help me out here?

DBGL serves as a frontend / Graphical User Interface to DOSBox (configuration). My frontend tries to make creating DOSBox configuration files a little easier by offering a (relatively) simple interface, some shortcuts and a little bit of intelligence (DOSBox behavior). Once your DOS games are configured in DBGL, its very easy to setup, start, alter their configuration or associate another DOSBox version to them. If you're interested, download and run the Starter Edition to see what it looks like.

Reply 438 of 1972, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

jar062b ? Does it supercede jar063a.zip ? Then it should be name jar063b, right?