Common searches

DOSBox with a Really Fast Processor

Topic actions

First post, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

What can DOSBox do with a really fast processor? Today, the fastest consumer-level processors come from the Intel Core Duo and Quad lines. An processor with excellent value is the Intel Core 2 Duo E8400 Wolfdale 3.0GHz 6MB L2. This processor offers alot for $260 (Newegg). It is not the fastest processor available in the ordinary retail channel, but it is very impressive.

Obviously a comparative system must be built around this processor. It would have at least 2GB of DDR2-RAM, probably a Geforce 9600GS on a Geforce 750i motherboard. A good, but not an overkill system for playing today's games. Windows XP Pro of course as an OS.

But what about older games running on DOSBox. DOSBox does not, as far as I know, take any advantage of 64-bit operation or multiple processor cores. Improved processor architectures, more cache, and a faster system bus are essentially what DOSBox may be able to take advantage of. DOSBox does not need a super-fast 3D card because it emulates 2D and some basic 3D games. More RAM will only help to handle multi-tasking.

So, what sorts of games does this system let DOSBox run well? Obviously those last DOS games, the ones that use high resolution and high color graphics, the ones that should have supported a 3D accelerator. Although unsupported, many Windows 9x games should be able to run smoothly with such a system. But can anyone give some real world examples of improved games? Even a Conroe processor should give a good idea of what to expect.

Reply 1 of 25, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

ATF and Jane's USNF at 1024x768 with all textures enabled is really nice

Armored Fist II actually runs sluggishly on an actual coreDuo and is completely unplayable on any system that's not a dual core at this point.

Big Red Racing at 640x480 is also nice.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 4 of 25, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Blood is absolutely playable on an (overclocked) E6420 @ 3.33GHz in 800x600 while it could lag on my previous rig (athlon xp @ 2.22GHz) even in 320x200. That's what I call nice improvement...! Tomb Raider in 640x480 could really use some more strength though... or maybe a better JIT compiler 😉
I've never tried a penryn-core2 (E8xxx) but I think they can't be worse than the Conroe generation (E2xxx, E4xxx, E6xxx) 😀

Shame on us, doomed from the start
May God have mercy on our dirty little hearts

Reply 6 of 25, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Sorry, in the last 2 years sometimes I've really tried to understand what on earth I need to run that in glide, but I've never got past that 'pci bus not found' message... I've searched on the forum and in google, no success 😖
Maybe my fault, yes, but I'm over a few hours of work on this question and I'm tired of it. At this point I had to conclude that It doesn't work. Yes, it probably does, but not for me, not with my knowledge... sorry.

Reply 8 of 25, by gidierre

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
alvaro84 wrote:

Sorry, in the last 2 years sometimes I've really tried to understand what on earth I need to run that in glide, but I've never got past that 'pci bus not found' message... I've searched on the forum and in google, no success

if it's about running Tomb Raider 1 using dosbox with the glide patch

you need to install Dosbox 0.72 plus the glide patch, the direct3d patch, then set output=direct3d and glide=true in dosbox.conf
and no other special trick should be needed afaik.

(and of course you need a copy of the voodoo rush 3dfx version of tomb.exe to replace your original exe)

Reply 9 of 25, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I'm sure this is still a long ways off, but I look forward to the day I can use DOSbox to run Win95 with emulated 3dfx support to run games like Interstate 76. That would require some serious horsepower.

laxDRAGON.com | My Game Collection | My Computers | YouTube

Reply 10 of 25, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You'll never see DosBox with an emulated 3DFX card. Only via passthru with a wrapper as it's done currently.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 11 of 25, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

"Never" is such an awful long time.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 12 of 25, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

No, it's not enough. There should be some 'wrapper' around just like DosFreak wrote... I've tried something (opnGLide, if I remember well) but nothing changed - how on earth do someone use this kind of thing? 😖

Reply 14 of 25, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
DosFreak wrote:

You'll never see DosBox with an emulated 3DFX card. Only via passthru with a wrapper as it's done currently.

MAME has had emulated 3dfx for years now. Granted it is done purely in software. Still, to me it proves that it is not beyond the realm of possibility since that source is out there.

Just wishful thinking on my part, but there are a ton of 3dfx only Windows games. I've tried wrappers, but there are always problems, not to mention many games simply don't run on XP/Vista anymore.

Reply 15 of 25, by gulikoza

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

3dfx emulation would also need PCI bus emulation which won't happen anytime soon. Also, there are no plans to make Windows 95 working stable because it is not DOSBox goal to emulate windows 95.

http://www.si-gamer.net/gulikoza

Reply 16 of 25, by laxdragon

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

3dfx emulation would also need PCI bus emulation which won't happen anytime soon. Also, there are no plans to make Windows 95 working stable because it is not DOSBox goal to emulate windows 95.

I figured that would be the answer for the time being. Let a guy have his dreams. If there is any emu that could do it, it would be DOSbox. I don't see the Qemu guys adding 3dfx anytime soon.

Reply 18 of 25, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

well I can't look into the future. Currently 3dfx emulation has little interrest by me. the wrapper solution currently the most.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 19 of 25, by alvaro84

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
gulikoza wrote:

Perhaps read the topic here and ask if something is not clear enough 😀

Thanks, I'll probably give it another try when I get home (Monday, perhaps?). Maybe I don't have more interest in using 3Dfx at the moment than Qbix has in implementing it 😅