VOGONS

Common searches

DOSBox 0.73 Discussion

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

Reply 40 of 207, by hydr0x

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
DosFreak wrote:
You can delete the .conf file from your profile but you'll need to edit the DOSBox shortcuts in the Start Menu to stop the creat […]
Show full quote
hydr0x wrote:
Qbix wrote:

Well actually the starting directory/cwd, but yes that is right. That is intentional for portable instalations and people who just like having the configfile there.

The "weird" loading is primary for new users. All old ways are still supported.

It's one of those annoying Vista guidelines. I don't want any config/program files in my user directory, I just want data in there. So it's great you're allowing us to just place an ini in the exe directory. One question though: If I do that before starting DOSBox for the first time, would it still create the ini in my user dir or not? Cause I really don't want it to be there, even if it's not used.

You can delete the .conf file from your profile but you'll need to edit the DOSBox shortcuts in the Start Menu to stop the creation of dosbox.conf in your profile.

While your deleting .conf file from your Profile you may also want to delete the hidden "AppData" directory in your profile as well. 😈 Since you just want "data" in there.....

What counts as data to you?

I misread the post above and thought he was talking about the My Documents folder as there seems to be a vista guideline to put certain program data in there (have encountered it with 2 or 3 apps) which is annoying. I have no problem with config files going into Documents and Settings. After all that's the purpose of that folder.

Reply 41 of 207, by tsampikos

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice work! Congratulations to everybody.As I see many "loops" are closed with this new release.I have a question. I didn't read something about it in the release notes, but i would like to ask if the german Umlaut is now supported. There are some games such as Bazooka Sue which crush just because DOSBox doesn't support Umlaut.
Except that, with this new release most of the games, which could not run flawessly with 0.72 may work now better.
Congratulations to everybody once again! 😀

Reply 43 of 207, by Amayirot Akago

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Sadly Chronomaster and Starfighter 3000 still don't work for me, but nonetheless it's great to see a new version out. Keep up the good work, guys!

EDIT: HOLY SHIT Carmageddon runs at full speed now! Fuckin' A!

Last edited by Amayirot Akago on 2009-05-28, 13:56. Edited 1 time in total.

akago_sig.jpg
Anime lover, gamer, and dreamer
DosBox enthusiast

Reply 44 of 207, by Victor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello,

Nice job the team performed on this version.
I have finished to translate the language file in french and I noticed something weird.

I put the translated file in the config and everything is displayed correctly.
When I try to write a config file within Dosbox using the command:
CONFIG -writeconf blabla.txt

It just does not use correctly my translation.
It worked fine with 0.72 and previous.

In fact, only the section with CPU_cycles, autoexec and the introduction lines get translated.
Everything else remains default, even the text "possible values" (defined as a variable I believe).

To be sure that I was not in fault, I tried to use the default language file, modified only one line in the config section and checked.
Same result.
I presume this has something to do with the reorganization of the config text strings in the language file.

Can you please check it?

Of course it is possible to make a manually translated file but I am not sure it will match all possibilities for all computers.

Reply 45 of 207, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
DosFreak wrote:
HunterZ wrote:
Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe): […]
Show full quote

Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe):

- when I tried to go full-screen, the colors looked all wrong (happens in Starcraft too, so I think Win7 just sucks at 8-bit color). When I tried to go back to a window, it stayed in something like 640x480x8 (instead of 1920x1200x32) and I eventually had to go into the nVidia control panel to get it back to the proper res because Win7's resolution settings claimed it was 1920x1200x32.

Surface mode seems to thus be an unsafe default for Win7 if DOSBox is going to actually try to use 8-bit color.

- I still hear popping sounds from the PC speaker emulation at the beginning and end of digitized sounds in Win7. I thought some kind of PC speaker volume ramping was added to 0.73?

Set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB and see if that works.

I'll try if I get a chance, but I was more concerned about it being an out-of-the-box issue for other users than with fixing it for myself.

Reply 46 of 207, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

The config does not like the "compat" value in the oplmode variable. The status screen says its not valid and sets "default" instead. What is the difference between "compat", "fast" and "old" anyway?

Have you guys looked at this when improving your emulation?

http://docs.google.com/Doc?id=dd8kqn9f_13cqjkf4gp

Reply 47 of 207, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
franpa wrote:
close all instances of Explorer.exe because the Taskbar in Windows 7 is displayed "on top" of other windows fucking the palette […]
Show full quote
HunterZ wrote:

- when I tried to go full-screen, the colors looked all wrong (happens in Starcraft too, so I think Win7 just sucks at 8-bit color).

close all instances of Explorer.exe because the Taskbar in Windows 7 is displayed "on top" of other windows fucking the palette up in old 8bit games that use similar methods to the Surface Renderer in DOSBox.

Worms Armageddon which is a Direct Draw game also suffers it but I have a BAT file to work around it.

taskkill /f /IM explorer.exe
E:"Worms Armageddon""Wormkit.exe"
pause
start explorer.exe

Wow, you're right! The only quirk is that Starcraft gets stuck at the Loading screen until I alt+tab out and back in.

Reply 49 of 207, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
HunterZ wrote:
DosFreak wrote:
HunterZ wrote:
Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe): […]
Show full quote

Noticed a couple other things testing Wizardry 7 in Windows 7 (Wiz7 in Win7 hehe):

- when I tried to go full-screen, the colors looked all wrong (happens in Starcraft too, so I think Win7 just sucks at 8-bit color). When I tried to go back to a window, it stayed in something like 640x480x8 (instead of 1920x1200x32) and I eventually had to go into the nVidia control panel to get it back to the proper res because Win7's resolution settings claimed it was 1920x1200x32.

Surface mode seems to thus be an unsafe default for Win7 if DOSBox is going to actually try to use 8-bit color.

- I still hear popping sounds from the PC speaker emulation at the beginning and end of digitized sounds in Win7. I thought some kind of PC speaker volume ramping was added to 0.73?

Set SDL_VIDEODRIVER=WINDIB and see if that works.

I'll try if I get a chance, but I was more concerned about it being an out-of-the-box issue for other users than with fixing it for myself.

Yeah as long as they are using Aero then the way SDL in DOSBox is currently configured will cause Windows to revert back to Aero basic when you switch DOSBox to fullscreen, which causes the color corruption. (IIRC, OpenGL is unaffected)

SDL in DOSBox uses DirectX by default for speed reasons instead of WinDIB (SDL reverted back to WINDIB by default),

This is a known issue and there are a couple of posts about it in the private forum. (As well as a bunch of posts of people with Vista+ spread around the internet......)

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 50 of 207, by Great Hierophant

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
wd wrote:
Works and is effective if used in the dosbox config file. […]
Show full quote

The config does not like the "compat" value in the oplmode variable.

Works and is effective if used in the dosbox config file.

Have you guys looked at this when improving your emulation?

No because the tables were already fine.

I made a mistake with the config file, I fixed it and the message disappeared. 😊

Reply 52 of 207, by lwc

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yes, a new version! But there's an installation bug - you've stopped supporting upgrades. If I install it over the last version, as I've always done, the old version remains in the start menu. Also, it keeps the old config file with the header "0.72" in it. In the end, I've uninstalled everything and re-installed just the new version.

In addition, uninstallation deletes the CONF file, but not Local Settings\Application Data\DOSBox\.

Also, are there new commands? And can anyone update the relevant wiki with "(since 0.73)" lines?

Last but not least, the "path" command is "for compatibility only" but it's not a dummy like "attrib". It actually works. Is it on purpose?

Reply 53 of 207, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
lwc wrote:

Yes, a new version! But there's an installation bug - you've stopped supporting upgrades. If I install it over the last version, as I've always done, the old version remains in the start menu. Also, it keeps the old config file with the header "0.72" in it. In the end, I've uninstalled everything and re-installed just the new version.

I think that's a feature. DOSBox 0.73 installs to "DOSBox-0.73", it's not it's fault if you install to the DOSBox 0.72 folder.

Last but not least, the "path" command is "for compatibility only" but it's not a dummy like "attrib". It actually works. Is it on purpose?

What's the question?

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 56 of 207, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author
I put the translated file in the config and everything is displayed correctly. When I try to write a config file within Dosbox […]
Show full quote

I put the translated file in the config and everything is displayed correctly.
When I try to write a config file within Dosbox using the command:
CONFIG -writeconf blabla.txt

It just does not use correctly my translation.
It worked fine with 0.72 and previous.

In fact, only the section with CPU_cycles, autoexec and the introduction lines get translated.
Everything else remains default, even the text "possible values" (defined as a variable I believe).

To be sure that I was not in fault, I tried to use the default language file, modified only one line in the config section and checked.
Same result.
I presume this has something to do with the reorganization of the config text strings in the language file.

Can you please check it?

Please create a new thread for this, and if possible put some short example
there (i'm not used to the procedures around localization).

Reply 57 of 207, by Raymond C. Glassford

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Congratulations on another new release of DOSBox. My sincere thanks goes to all DOSBox authors. I am presently using a second-hand Dell Optiplex GX240, Pentium 4, running Windows XP Pro SP2. It is another recycled business machine purchased for 60 USD. I will keep the forum posted on how it handles DOS games under the new 0.73 release. DOSBox 0.72 on Mandriva Free 2007.0 was very good.

Reply 58 of 207, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't know if I find it amusing or annoying that finally fixing the location of the config file stirs up so much confusion 😀

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 59 of 207, by Victor

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
wd wrote:

Please create a new thread for this, and if possible put some short example
there (i'm not used to the procedures around localization).

Hi wd, I created a new thread in Dosbox development forum.
As a first message, I prefered not to create a new subject and post here instead but it is OK.