VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by heavy

User metadata

Hi,

I've been trying to run a game recently but DOSBox seems to run the game exceedinly fast. The title screen flashes by and any important messages in the game flash by as well. I'm playing Snooper Troops available at http://www.bhlegend.com/php/show.php3?game=723.

I have an Athlon XP 2600+, GeForce4 and all the bells and whistles.

Thanks

Reply 4 of 9, by heavy

User metadata

I guess I didn't really describe the problem properly.

When I start the game with the correct CPU cycles, it runs extremely fast. It's a time based game, measuring your accomplishments in days and weeks and I can literally do nothing while I watch 50 weeks pass by in two seconds. Normally, the game takes its time to count down with whatever method it uses to count time but, this game runs fast. So fast, in fact, that when I try to do anything, I can't because a message will pop up telling something is happening.

I tried lowering the CPU cycles to 50 but all that does it make the graphics draw slowly and make it impossible to drive the little car. The controls are almost non-responsive. Time still passes extremely fast considering the CPU cycles are slowed down.

If I run this game in Windows Compatibilty mode, it runs the time correctly however, messages and events briefly flash on the screen making it impossible to tell what just happened. I can drive the little car find but if I go to the office in the game and try to pull up some information, it flashes on the screen so fast that I have to access my unconcious mind to use it.

Thanks for the non-elitist response.

Reply 7 of 9, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

read it again and pay attention to the word cycles (as has been hinted here before)

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 8 of 9, by cometzero

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Simply lowering the cycles doesn't help. As mentioned earlier in this thread:

"When I start the game with the correct CPU cycles, it runs extremely fast. It's a time based game, measuring your accomplishments in days and weeks and I can literally do nothing while I watch 50 weeks pass by in two seconds. Normally, the game takes its time to count down with whatever method it uses to count time but, this game runs fast. So fast, in fact, that when I try to do anything, I can't because a message will pop up telling something is happening.

I tried lowering the CPU cycles to 50 but all that does it make the graphics draw slowly and make it impossible to drive the little car. The controls are almost non-responsive. Time still passes extremely fast considering the CPU cycles are slowed down."