VOGONS

Common searches

New to DOSbox

Topic actions

First post, by spare-flair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi everybody, I just discovered the wonderful thing called DOSbox and I quickly ran to my basement to search out my stacks of floppies and ancient CDs from almost 10 years ago.

I'm just itching to play everything from Manhunter to Cyberia. I just found my Starcon 2 discs and I'm happily enjoying Silpheed and Lucasarts games.

I'm very new to this scene and haven't done any programming since some basic Turbo Pascal and C way back then. I've checked out the newbie guide but I'm looking for something a little deeper so I can plunge into this. I was pretty proficient in DOS and old systems with a little programming skill and a lot of general computing knowledge but I'm totally lost with dosbox and emulation. No way to edit the autoexec.bat and config.sys parameters? I know what a CVS is but I need some help compiling them. Is there a place where I can find a guide to get me up to speed with everything?

I'm dying to try out the CVS's because 0.60 freezes Martian Memorandum after it goes through real-speech synthesizing (Can I remove the setblaster line from the autoexec.bat to force it to use PC-Speaker?). I also cannot get my Stonekeep trailer to work because CPU paging isn't supported in 0.60. Is it supported in the latest CVS?

Thanks everybody and especially the DOSbox team for making the best games ever made come alive again.
-Jeremy

Activating bistromatic drive!

Reply 1 of 2, by spare-flair

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Oh sorry! I forgot that I'm not supposed to ask about the CVS and feature implementation here. But yes, I'm still looking for some basic help and directions. Thanks.

Activating bistromatic drive!

Reply 2 of 2, by taiken7

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

i) Questions of a development nature belong in the development forum
[DOSBox Development]
ii) There is a rough Build-it-yerself guide here: CVS Builds (once a week)

You may also want to add MSYS/ Source-Navigator; DOXYGEN;
and the msysDTK-1.0.1.exe .. (all up 27mb of dev tools before install).

Then grab a drink, blast the stereo and dive in..