VOGONS

Common searches

First post, by Parazythum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there,

I'm new to this board, and also to DosBox 😀 I have played a little with this stunning program, and now I have some (I hope) intelligent questions...

1- Is there a list about how many cycles you have to emulate to have a 8086, a 8088, a 286, 386, etc ? I put 15,000 on my system, and my processor just turns at 10%... So I would like to know if it's not a bit high ?
2- The core item in the dosbox.conf : what do mean the "full" and "dynamic" options ? Is "dynamic" a HLE thingy ?
3- I have a weird problem with my SCSI CD-ROM. When I mount my drive with "mount d z:\ -usecd 1 -t cdrom", it works good, but I can't eject the CD-ROM to put in another one. When I add "-aspi", I have a MSCDEX error, but it works (loom won't launch though, for example). There I can change CD's, they are all detected - great but not enough. When I add "-ioctl" instead of "-aspi", I'm in the first case : I can't change CD's, but Loom works 😀 (I saw the MSCDEX line saying all's OK)
4- I have an even greater weird issue with my DVD-RW drive ! When I launch the correct "mount" command, all works well with "-aspi". Great 😀 I can change CD's, no problem. The only problem is, for example, when I put the original Loom CD. When I launch "LOOM.EXE", it is MOUNT.EXE that answers !!! I can't even show the content of a .TXT file. There is catalog access, but no file access 🙁
5- I have browsed this forum and the 'net to find a problem to stuttering sound while playing audio tracks (example : Loom) but couldn't find a way to fix it. I've tried to disable digital audio reading, tried several utilities that pretend to choose your CD drive speed... Crap ! The down spintime is too great to correctly play all the track parts that are in loom 🙁

That's all for the questions folks !

I still have a 486 right next to my right foot ! 😵 I use it to play my real old games (I *LOVE* old adventure games, too bad the Sam & Max 2 project has stopped, see here : http://www.lucasarts.com/press/releases/85.html).
I found about DosBox while browsing abandonware sites. I only use it to test the games, and make my own CD's full of old stuff after. I know it's bad, but I have lots of original old games, so I consider to have paid my debt already 😈
Now, thank you very much to the authors of DosBox, must have been a great deal to produce such a good program ! Are there beta releases to test ? I'd like to 😀

Parazythum,
the Big Bad Bug

Reply 1 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

For daily builds, based on the currect developer version, check this: CVS Builds (once a week)

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 2 of 11, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

1. search the forum
2. search the forum
5. search the forum & make an iso | get a 4 speed cdrom drive

3&4 read the readme especially the part about ioctl

Please post your system specs as well as that's quite important when dealing with cdrom problems

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 3 of 11, by Parazythum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

OK I had passed about 2 hours reading this forum, and searching, so I was a little tired when I posted my questions. OK I will search the forums. OK OK.

I thought I had read carefully the readme file, but couldn't find out the clue. I love your answers, cubix 😁
Extract from the readme file :

-ioctl
Forces to use ioctl commands. Only valid if mounting a cdrom under
windows which support them (Win2000/XP/NT)

Oh yeah, it's not really crital clear, I wouldn't have asked if it was easy. What is IOCTL ?! 😈

My CD-ROM drive : pionner SCSI 36x
My DVD-RW drive : SONY DRU 510A
Motherboard : ASUS P4P800 Deluxe
CPU : P4 3,3GHz
Sound card : SB512 (crappy, I know)
AGP card : GeForce 4 Ti 4200

So, any good idea why the MOUNT.EXE command is launched instead of LOOM.EXE for item #4 ? I'm gonna try tonight to update my ASPI drivers, one never knows.

Parazythum,
the Big Bad Bug

Reply 5 of 11, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

IOCTL: Name of system call (I/O Control).

I only know it from my experience with Unix, so I was surprised to learn that it is an Win32 thing. I suppose the ioctl() function has been promoted to a POSIX function, and that is why it is available under Win32?
--
MiniMax - Not a developer, I haven't even seen the DOSBox source.

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 6 of 11, by Parazythum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I updated my aspi drivers -> no more aspi errors !

But loom still don't want to launch with the -aspi option, grrr. What can I do ? 🙁

Parazythum,
the Big Bad Bug

Reply 8 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

"But loom still don't want to launch with the -aspi option, grrr. What can I do ?"

bah. i got it running just fine using the -ioctl tag for the cdrom-drive and giving it the label LOOM (eg: mount d d:\ -t cdrom -ioctl -label LOOM).
perhaps you could try the same, but in stead of using -ioctl, use -aspi.
i might have a different version than your version of Loom though.

anyway, if you still can't get Loom to work under DosBox, try using ScummVM. (www.scummvm.org)

hope this helps...

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 9 of 11, by Parazythum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Well, let's star over, english is not my mother language, so I'll try to explain again :

I mount my SCSI CD-ROM drive with the command line :
mount d z:\ -usecd 1 -t cdrom
(Z is my CD-ROM drive letter under Windows)

I can launch Loom or any other old dos game from a CD with the -ioctl option. I can't put another CD in the drive after that, no file is listed anymore, with ANY CD.

When I use the -aspi option, I can put another CD and access it, no problem. But I can't launch Loom any more, the program tells me I have to get the Loom CD in order to play the game...

What's bothering me is the following : OK I can play Loom with -ioctl. Fine. But I can't insert another CD after that, it won't be "seen" by dosbox. What if I'd like to play my original Discworld II, which is on 2 CD's ? I will be able to play as long as I don't have to put the 2nd CD in my drive.

(but, if you read carefully my first message, you already know that I also have a real 486, why is it so important to launch Loom under WinXP ? Nope, it's not important, I'm just a little curious you know)

Parazythum,
the Big Bad Bug

Reply 10 of 11, by Dark Knight ez

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

*clears throat*

you still didn't try out my suggestion.
try adding the label LOOM when mounting your cdrom-drive.
so after the "-t cdrom" part, also use "-label LOOM"...
see if that works.

... // bda. very bda!
... // but only if you turn godo into csah.

Reply 11 of 11, by Parazythum

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, it doesn't work with -aspi -label LOOM, in any drive (CD or DVD).

As stated before, it works perfectly with -ioctl and without any label... But I can't eject the CD and put in another one. Now that I have upgraded my ASPI drivers, I get a message about an incorrect label when putting another CD in the drive after having read the first one.

I'm wondering if it's not because I don't have a common CD-ROM drive (IDE). I only have a SCSI CD-ROM or an IDE DVD-RW. One day maybe I'll try to mount an old CD drive lying somewhere in my house... When I have time.

So : no need to specify the label in the MOUNT command line to play Loom. It means also that dosbox reads correctly the first CD label, but can't read a new one after. Maybe a little detection trick would do in the next version of the program ? There must be a flag in the windows system that tells that a CD was ejected or inserted... Or an event... I'm wondering why the path must be specified when using the -usecd option ?

Thanks for the tip, though, even if it didn't work 😀 I think it must be useful when trying to launch a non-genuine CD-ROM game with the wrong label...

Parazythum,
the Big Bad Bug