VOGONS

Common searches

Dosbox help

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by medieval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am running win 7 I am having trouble at the prompt. I am trying to play Wolfenstein 3d, the first game i ever bought. I put the game in
C:\ ProgramFiles (x86) wolf\ wolf3d-v11-vgus I can't get it to this the directory It's has been so long that I used the prompt. Maybe I am putting a space where I don't need one, backslash, etc Please type in exactly how I should type to get it to work. Thanks

Reply 1 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
medieval wrote:

I put the game in C:\ ProgramFiles (x86) wolf\ wolf3d-v11-vgus

That doesn't make any sense. Perhaps you can take a screenshot?

You should follow the 60 Seconds Guide. If that is too complicated, try a frontend like D-Fend Reloaded.

If that is still too complicated, you can buy the game at GOG.com in a form that is pretty much guaranteed to run on your computer without any problems. It is a little bit expensive, though.
https://www.gog.com/game/wolfenstein_3d_and_spear_of_destiny

Reply 2 of 20, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You should not put these old games under a systems directory. Put it in a folder that you have full write permissions, say

C:\OldGames\Wolf

Part of your problem is using a path with spaces in it. Either use no spaces or enclose the path in quotes. Also note that under your mounted folder you should follow the old DOS 8.3 naming convention.

Also, follow Jorpho's advice and use the 60 Second Guide.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 4 of 20, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
medieval wrote:

So I looked at 60 second guide

Perhaps you should keep reading until the end?

Y'know, in general people are much more likely to help you if you provide some indication that you are already capable of following instructions.

Reply 6 of 20, by medieval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

your right i just skimmed over it, sorry. After years not using prompt I get super bored reading. I should have added that I get the exe but can't play it, I will read all the way through. BTW If people want to play an old game they can just go to myabandonware.com and play hundreds of old games directly on their browser. I just thought is would be nice to have it on my system. Thanks again.

Reply 8 of 20, by medieval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I get the EXE but still can't run it. I don't need play it, just thought it would be fun. Yes,Lightmaster, Bored to death. I developed a virtual aquarium, actually a few of them. After that I lost all interest. I guess from your point of view, you can't understand my point. BTW check out my aquarium if you have time let me know what you think. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MqDtusJ9lCw

Reply 13 of 20, by gdjacobs

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

No fishbowl unless it's in your retro computer tower, or inside a CRT tube with a failed flyback transformer.

If that's what you've got, then give us mowr!

https://cdn.instructables.com/FVH/GPOB/F3KLNV … NV83.MEDIUM.jpg
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/cebit-2003-day- … iew-7220-2.html

All hail the Great Capacitor Brand Finder

Reply 14 of 20, by medieval

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
lightmaster wrote:

Fishtro still rules!!
Oh and BTW it's not abandonware!! ;·))

Have you even see mine. I mean the gills, eyes, mouth, fins, etc, etc work. When you feed the fish ( I added that after the youtube vid) the food goes into fish's mouth. the crab will chase fish if they get to close to him, not to mention you can spear the fish so it's like a came plus a fish tank. Come on dude DOS is dead.

BTW The reason i could not play wolfenstein must be a problem with the software I downloaded, I tried another game I had back then, called Commander keen4e which works great.

Reply 18 of 20, by keenmaster486

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

If all you wanted to do was play Wolfenstein again and you don't give a soggy towel about anything else, then this isn't the forum for you.

Command-line prompts are FAR from out of date. That's a foolish error if you think that. Just try to develop software or use Linux without using the command prompt.

World's foremost 486 enjoyer.