VOGONS

First post, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

With DOSBox 0.61 the game is somewhat runable. It needs ems=false in the [dos] section, or it will complain with "EMS driver is not VCPI complaint." when starting the installer.

Also, exiting from the installer, or from the game, results in a fatal DOSBox error, "Exit to error: Page fault didn't correct table.". but all the game settings seems to be saved on disk.

Things that makes the game un-playable

• Problem with stuttering sound, both during video sequences, and dialogs (particular annoying!). I tried upping the frameskip, upping the sound blocksize, lowering the sound rate, different CPU cores - but to no avail.
  • Problem with keyboard double'ing up on key presses. Occurs both in the DOS-based installer, where a menu entry can get "jumped", and in the main game (makes it hard to exit the game using Alt-X followed by "Y" for yes, since the Alt-X is doubled up).

--
MiniMax

DOSBox 60 seconds guide | How to ask questions

Reply 1 of 10, by Xelasarg

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁 😁

Wonderful, even though it's too slow.

I was thinking about upgrading my PC - this might be a good reason...

Attachments

• Wing Commander III.jpg
    Filename
    Wing Commander III.jpg
    File size
    29.65 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 3 of 10, by icemann

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

😁

Which is pretty funny when you think about it. Considering the fact that theres not alot of modern/current games that would persuade anyone into upgrading their computers at present.

Two stones, two crosses, the rest is just icing. - 7th Guest

Reply 4 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

With DOSBox 0.61 the game is somewhat runable

MiniMax, I do not want to sound rude or even redundant, but have you tried running WC3 under VDMSound? It worked fine for me and I played it through the end without problems.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Athlon 64 3200+/Asus K8V-X/1GB DDR400/GeForce FX 5700/SB Live! 5.1

Reply 5 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Yep! WC3 works (almost) perfect with WinXP and VDMSound. I get some slight crackling background noise from the digital (FX) sound. Selecting just a SoundBlaster compatible card, instead of Pro or 16, gives the least amount of crackling - but I loose stereo.
--
MiniMax

Reply 6 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
MiniMax wrote:

I get some slight crackling background noise from the digital (FX) sound. Selecting just a SoundBlaster compatible card, instead of Pro or 16, gives the least amount of crackling - but I loose stereo.

As far as I remember it sounded ok for me using SB16, but I'll check it later at home.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Reply 7 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

MiniMax, I've just checked and I'm running WC3 under VDMSound with the following setup:

- Music Card: MPU-401 General MIDI, I/O port 330h
- Digital FX Card: SoundBlaster AWE, I/O port 220h, IRQ 7, DMA low 1, DMA high 5

Be sure to set up your VDMS shortcut to SoundBlaster 16 emulation and use IRQ 7, so you can be sure that you are not getting the default SB emulation provided by Windows XP itself. Using this setup I don't get any crackling at all.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Reply 8 of 10, by MiniMax

User metadata
Rank Moderator
Rank

Thanks for you interest Major G., but unless I configure for just plain Sound Blaster compatibel, I get this annoying, crackling noise, both in VDMS 2.0.4-upd2 & 2.10 beta. It sounds just like a car radio, where the motor is idling, and the ignition/spark plugs creates noise in the radio!

For comparison, I downladed the trial version of SoundFX. With Sound Blaster 16 emulation I get perfect sound!

But, this thread has gone way off-topic, so I will post a question in the VDMSound forum, and see what the reaction is. Either a solution is found, or I stick to plain Sound Blaster - or I might just order a license key for SoundFX.
--
MiniMax

Reply 9 of 10, by MajorGrubert

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Ok, I'll take the risk and continue this just a little bit more, before some moderator jumps in and send us to another forum: do you have DirectX 9.0 installed? I had some problems with VDMSound and also with old Windows games (based on older versions of DirectX) after I installed DX 9.0 and there are a few other users who reported similar problems. Given the fact that removing DirectX is somehow traumatic, you could try to install a second copy of Windows XP in a different partition if you can, or try this on someody else's computer without DX 9.0.

Regards,

Major Grubert

Reply 10 of 10, by THE_WUQKED

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi All! - I've been looking around here for a while now, and finally registered.
But to the reason why I'm posting:
I've played around with my config file for Wing Commander 3, and managed to "only" get sound skips in the movies about every 15 to 20 secs, sometimes 40 secs 😀
Here the main things I changed in the conf:
cycles @ 15000 (any higher gets choppy sound + runs slower again)
frameskip @ 10 - Yes it's high, but lower gives way more sound skips. I set it @5 while playing, but still stutters a bit when I hit my enemies.
output @ overlay - This one gave my DOSBox a nice little boost 😀
Yes, it's still not really playable, but at least you can watch the movies if you don't mind random sound skips that much (they got MUCH less than I had before this tweaking)
To complete the info, here is my Setup I ran WC3 with:
PIV 3.2Ghz
R9800 Pro
1GB DDR 400Mhz
Audigy

Too bad, DOSBox doesn't support HT 😐 This way I'm stucked @ about 50% CPU usage MAX.
EDIT: I just noticed it does in fact support HT! But the advantage isn't that big 😒

Oh, and one offtopic side node: Yes, I know that WCIII works with VDMS (Ok, not for me: it complains about ../../Data... missing and says maybe CD damaged, although the CD works fine under DOSBox and on other PCs 😖 ), but I prefer to be able to play all my DOS games with one emulator, and I prefer DOSBox instead of VDMS 😉