VOGONS

DOSBox ECE (for Windows & Linux)

Topic actions

Reply 1520 of 1550, by morphinejh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
stanwebber wrote on 2023-02-25, 15:45:

i have cmake, mingw and vs2005 build environments that can target win98, but compiling even the oldest ver 1 build of fluidsynth i could find on sourceforge was a no-go. it would require fairly recent build tools manipulated to target win98 which i don't know is even possible anymore.

until recently, there weren't even winxp or non-sse2 precompiled binaries of any fluidsynth builds. a little bird had to go and request them.

With the glib libraries I link to in the previous post, I could successfully use the fluidsynth library that is provided with DosboxECE. It may just be a targeted build for libglib that is needed.

I've done a little more playing around with it too. DirectDraw and OpenGL don't seem to work for me, just surface render. MT-32 and Fluidsynth both work using the older glib.

Edit: This post is referencing using DosboxECE on Windows 98 Second Edition.

Reply 1521 of 1550, by stanwebber

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

fluidsynth is a black, black hole. i just wasted another afternoon trying to get v1.1.2/11 to compile under mingw and vs2005. for starters, glib-2.16 is the minimum required version which is too new for win98. that's not so much a problem as the dsound.h header it wants. i've tried both directx 8 & 9 sdk headers modified for mingw, but apparently they're not new enough or who knows. for a solely command-line utility, fluidsynth has some asinine requirements.

dosbox ece actually compiles just fine for win98 without fluidsynth. i think i got it successfully built under mingw with all the remaining patches intact. attached is a binary for anyone who wants to investigate. it's useless to me unless it has some form of gm wavetable patch.

edit: if you have mouse issues in the application window with the svn build, replace the external dll libraries with ones from the official 0.74-3 build.

Attachments

Last edited by stanwebber on 2023-11-28, 18:43. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1522 of 1550, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello, I use Dosbox-ECE (latest version) to play Screamer 2 and when I launch it the sound is noisy.

At start I have error messages about jack server and alsa....

DOSBox version ECE
Copyright 2002-2021 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG: Loading primary settings from config file dosbox-test.conf
Memory sizes above 31 MB are NOT recommended.
Stick with the default values unless you are absolutely certain.
ALSA:Can't subscribe to MIDI port (65:0) nor (17:0)
MT32: Control ROM file not found
ALSA lib pcm_dsnoop.c:566:(snd_pcm_dsnoop_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:999:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
ALSA lib pcm.c:2666:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.rear
ALSA lib pcm.c:2666:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.center_lfe
ALSA lib pcm.c:2666:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM cards.pcm.side
Cannot connect to server socket err = No such file or directory
Cannot connect to server request channel
jack server is not running or cannot be started
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
JackShmReadWritePtr::~JackShmReadWritePtr - Init not done for -1, skipping unlock
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:397:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
ALSA lib pcm_oss.c:397:(_snd_pcm_oss_open) Cannot open device /dev/dsp
ALSA lib pcm_a52.c:1001:(_snd_pcm_a52_open) a52 is only for playback
ALSA lib confmisc.c:160:(snd_config_get_card) Invalid field card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:482:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid card 'card'
ALSA lib confmisc.c:160:(snd_config_get_card) Invalid field card
ALSA lib pcm_usb_stream.c:482:(_snd_pcm_usb_stream_open) Invalid card 'card'
ALSA lib pcm_dmix.c:999:(snd_pcm_dmix_open) unable to open slave
MIDI:fluidsynth: no soundfont loaded
MIDI: Opened device:fluidsynth
fluidsynth: warning: Failed to set thread to high priority
Glide:LFB access: read-write
INFO: This app is looking for CD-ROM drives, but no path was specified
INFO: Set the SDL12COMPAT_FAKE_CDROM_PATH environment variable to a directory
INFO: of MP3 files named trackXX.mp3 where XX is a track number in two digits
INFO: from 01 to 99
Glide:Activated
Glide:Resolution:640x480, LFB at 0x60000000 (physical) / 0x60000000 (linear)

I don't use jack server nor alsa but Pulseaudio.

If I disable midi, no more noisy sound.
I can not reproduce this issue with dosbox svn (compiled on my system).

my config:
Kernel: x86_64 Linux 6.2.7-2-MANJARO
CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 5900HX with Radeon Graphics @ 16x 3.3GHz
GPU: AMD Radeon RX 6600M (navi23, LLVM 15.0.7, DRM 3.49, 6.2.7-2-MANJARO)
Video drivers: Mesa 22.3.5

Reply 1523 of 1550, by morphinejh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
legluondunet wrote on 2023-03-25, 13:50:
Hello, I use Dosbox-ECE (latest version) to play Screamer 2 and when I launch it the sound is noisy. […]
Show full quote

Hello, I use Dosbox-ECE (latest version) to play Screamer 2 and when I launch it the sound is noisy.

At start I have error messages about jack server and alsa....

DOSBox version ECE
Copyright 2002-2021 DOSBox Team, published under GNU GPL.
---
CONFIG: Loading primary settings from config file dosbox-test.conf

What are the contents of your dosbox-test.conf? (specifically the midi section) Pulsaudio is a mixer that outputs to ALSA. So it is technically used.

Totally guessing without context, but I'd bet he issue is around Fluidsynth. I have had similar issues before. But need to see your config file setup.

EDIT:
Further, check out section 4.1 below, it has helped me in the past.
https://wiki.archlinux.org/title/PulseAudio/Troubleshooting

Reply 1524 of 1550, by legluondunet

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thanks, I will make some tests.
Another things:
It could be interesting to post dosbox-ece code and releases on Github.
I found this Github page but it is not updated since july 2022:
https://github.com/realnc/dosbox-ece
AppImage will be a very interesting package format too for Linux users.

Reply 1525 of 1550, by realnc

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
legluondunet wrote on 2023-05-04, 13:11:

I found this Github page but it is not updated since july 2022:
https://github.com/realnc/dosbox-ece
AppImage will be a very interesting package format too for Linux users.

It's now updated to r4482.

Reply 1527 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

End of life for DOSBox ECE
As you may have noticed, development of DOSBox got somewhat... slow in the recent past. And since DOSBox ECE is based on the SVN of the official DOSBox releases, of course there weren't (m)any new releases of that as well. I must admit, that I wasn't too sorry about the lack of updates. In the last years, the amount of free time shrank to almost nothing anyway and other builds emerged or got better, that IMHO made ECE pretty redundant.

So, as of now, I decided to stop releasing new builds of DOSBox ECE. Not without a tear in the eye, it was nice to have a somewhat popular build and to give something back to a great community! But as of now, I think we're all better off using the more up-to-date alternatives like DOSBox Staging, DOSBox-X or DOSBox Pure (if you're using Retroarch anyway).

Thanks for your support and feedback through the last seven years!

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1528 of 1550, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Thanks for your enormous effort of maintaining ECE through the years. As the first unofficial built to include my pixel-perfect patch, ECE helped make it available to more conneseurs of low-res pixel-art aesthetics, who were not satisfied with the blurry interpolation of the standard output modes.

Reply 1530 of 1550, by Yesterplay80

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
eM-!3 wrote on 2023-09-11, 15:15:

Thanks, enjoy your retirement! I used your build few years ago because at the time I liked to have pixel perfect patch but I'm in DOSBox Staging camp now.

As are probably most former ECE users now. 😉

My full-featured DOSBox SVN builds for Windows & Linux: Vanilla DOSBox and DOSBox ECE (Google Drive Mirror)

Reply 1531 of 1550, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Yesterplay80 wrote on 2023-09-11, 09:35:
End of life for DOSBox ECE As you may have noticed, development of DOSBox got somewhat... slow in the recent past. And since DOS […]
Show full quote

End of life for DOSBox ECE
As you may have noticed, development of DOSBox got somewhat... slow in the recent past. And since DOSBox ECE is based on the SVN of the official DOSBox releases, of course there weren't (m)any new releases of that as well. I must admit, that I wasn't too sorry about the lack of updates. In the last years, the amount of free time shrank to almost nothing anyway and other builds emerged or got better, that IMHO made ECE pretty redundant.

So, as of now, I decided to stop releasing new builds of DOSBox ECE. Not without a tear in the eye, it was nice to have a somewhat popular build and to give something back to a great community! But as of now, I think we're all better off using the more up-to-date alternatives like DOSBox Staging, DOSBox-X or DOSBox Pure (if you're using Retroarch anyway).

Thanks for your support and feedback through the last seven years!

Thank you for all you have done!

Reply 1532 of 1550, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I used your build few years ago because at the time I liked to have pixel perfect patch but I'm in DOSBox Staging camp now.

They have burned pixel-perfect mode at the stake, replacing it with blurry vertical-only and horisontal-only interger scaling modes, so that the Staging project has no output mode with sharp and regular pixels anymore.

Reply 1533 of 1550, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Ant_222 wrote on 2023-09-12, 08:30:

I used your build few years ago because at the time I liked to have pixel perfect patch but I'm in DOSBox Staging camp now.

They have burned pixel-perfect mode at the stake, replacing it with blurry vertical-only and horisontal-only interger scaling modes, so that the Staging project has no output mode with sharp and regular pixels anymore.

Is it possible to achieve the same result with pixel shaders? (there is one that i used, ported from https://tanalin.com/en/articles/integer-scaling/ )

Reply 1534 of 1550, by Ant_222

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
KainXVIII wrote on 2023-09-12, 08:35:

Is it possible to achieve the same result with pixel shaders? (there is one that i used, ported from https://tanalin.com/en/articles/integer-scaling/ )

Hardly possible without some preparatory calculations on the CPU to find the best PAR approximation in terms of aspect-ratio error and usage of the screen estate. I should be glad to be wrong, though. DOSBox shaders not working on my old PC with Windows XP, I cannot test them now. Thanks for the link. If you have any screenshots of Marat's shaders in action, please share them so that I may make certain they are truly pixel-perfect.

Update: One problem with such abstract shaders is that they have insufficient information. They do not have the PAR (pixel aspect ratio) of the emulated videomode, not the values of the double-height and double-width flags in DOSBox. There are games, for example, that are formally 320x400, but are in fact 320x200, and scaler must treat 1:2 rectangles as entire pixels and never break them. The pixel-perfect mode had that logic in it.

Last edited by Ant_222 on 2023-09-12, 10:37. Edited 2 times in total.

Reply 1538 of 1550, by KainXVIII

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
tyrells wrote on 2023-09-12, 09:58:

I created such a shader a while ago: pixel_perfect.glsl. I'm not sure if it works with the latest SVN versions of DOSBox as I haven't tested it in a while.

Yeah, i meant your pixel perfect shader in previous post 😋

dn_002.png
Filename
dn_002.png
File size
23.44 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain
dn_001.png
Filename
dn_001.png
File size
23.9 KiB
Views
File license
Public domain

Reply 1539 of 1550, by eM-!3

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Ant_222 wrote on 2023-09-12, 08:30:

I know they went to war with pixel perfect on github but I stopped using it by myself when I switched to Staging. OpenGL output + sharp glshader is good enough for me. Anyway thanks for your great patch!