VOGONS

First post, by Aharon

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Ok i'm sorry if l have written this in the wrong section. I've got a problem that l have been trying to solve all by myself, concerning leisure suit larry batch files. This may seem like an easy problem (and l hope it is) so l apologize, l know a bit about dos commands but not that much. Now I've been trying to solve this annoying issue for over 3 weeks, but i've got absolutely nowhere. Anyway l basically have the complete leisure suit larry series from 1-7, from a friend of mine and l also had the ultimate pleasure pack. Now my plan is to run it on dosbox via Windows XP, Now l know how to use dosbox and am familiar with 'most' commands as l mentioned previously, I tried running the game over the last week and the message l received on dosbox is telling me that the install files are missing, (or .bat, or .com, or whatever)., or some other error message.

I wrote some instructions down from word of mouth, and to my knowledge you have to basically create the leisure suit larry batch files to run each game in dosbox, but how do l do this, where do l put these batch files? what do l type? Am l supposed to create a batch file in windows xp or dosbox itself, have no clue?

In conclusion l really would love to play these games again, so if l could get any assistance l'd love that, hell l'll even make a donation.

I know dos in general is practically ancient but strangely enough l have a big interest in dos games from the past, and i'm trying to learn some things too.

Some information about my computer/laptop are below:

Windows XP
2.00gb of ram
2.00 ghz
120gb harddrive
intel 2 duo core
dosbox version 0.73
i'm using a laptop

Any questions please just ask. thanks

Aaron

Reply 3 of 3, by boyofdestiny

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox Shell Integration

The batch script above lets you "open with" dosbox. So you can just launch larry (.com, bat, or .exe so that'll be all you'll need...)

I haven't tested it personally, as I don't have Windows.

DOSBox has that behavior natively on *nix) Basically, dosbox sees the current game folder as C:\

Many games (including all the larry's in my experience) can be run this way.

In fact, it should for pretty much any dos game (although some may need CDs mounted, just use imgmount in a .bat for that... Or tweak game config to use what dosbox views as its "C:\" ...)