VOGONS

First post, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

How do I create separate configurations for different DOS games with DOSBox on a Mac?
The DOSBox 0.74 manual says:

An extra configuration file can be generated by CONFIG.COM, which can be found on the internal DOSBox Z: drive when you start up DOSBox. Look in the Section 4: "Internal programs" for usage of CONFIG.COM. You can start DOSBox with the -conf switch to load the generated file and use its settings.

DOSBox will load configuration files that are specified with -conf. If none were specified, it will try to load "dosbox.conf" from the local directory. If there is none, DOSBox will load the user configuration file. This file will be created if it doesn't exist.

So does this mean you'd say something like this to start a game?
C:\SIERRA>brain.bat -/Users/username/Documents/DOSgames/C/Sierra/Brain/dosbox.conf

or would it be more like
C:\SIERRA>brain.bat -conf /Users/username/Documents/DOSgames/C/Sierra/Brain/dosbox.conf

or would it be enough to just dump the config in the Brain folder and say
C:\SIERRA>brain.bat -conf
...and DOSBox would automatically look for the dosbox.conf in the game folder C because it saw "-conf" after the brain.bat that was used to start the game?

Or do you use the CONFIG command to tell DOSBox to create a game-specific name for the conf file other than dosbox.conf (maybe brain.conf in this example), and end up with
C:\SIERRA>brain.bat -/Users/username/Documents/DOSgames/C/Sierra/Brain/brain.conf

or something else?

I'm not sure if it's clear here, but Dr. Brain installed in C:\Sierra\Brain but put brain.conf in the C:\Sierra folder and not the C:\Sierra\Brain folder.

Reply 2 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

I don't think it works like this

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 4 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

When I make an alias, right-click, and "Get Info" it says
DOSBox.app alias
in the Name & Extension box.

I assume I'm supposed to change the box to
DOSBox.app -conf

But am I also supposed to put the location of the dosbox.conf after that as
DOSBox.app -conf /Users/username/Documents/DOSgames/C/Sierra/Brain/dosbox.conf

or do something else?

Reply 6 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

That works differently with the app bundle, something with -args or so. If you use dosbox.app/contents/macos/dosbox you can directly pass arguments, though

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

That works differently with the app bundle, something with -args or so. If you use dosbox.app/contents/macos/dosbox you can directly pass arguments, though

OK I'll try that then. Thanks.

EDIT.........

Not working. It's still using the ~/Library/Preferences/DOSBox 0.74 Preferences file and not the dosbox.conf I put inside the BRAIN folder.

This is what I typed inside the "Name & Extension" box, which is the only place I see in the Get Info for the alias where you can type anything in

DOSBox.app/contents/macos/dosbox -conf /Users/username/Documents/DOSgames/C/Sierra/Brain/dosbox.conf

Reply 8 of 14, by collector

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

I will assume that you did not overlook replacing the "username" in the path with your real profile name.

The Sierra Help Pages -- New Sierra Game Installers -- Sierra Game Patches -- New Non-Sierra Game Installers

Reply 9 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
collector wrote:

I will assume that you did not overlook replacing the "username" in the path with your real profile name.

Good idea 😀 But it's not the problem.

Am I supposed to make an alias some other way besides right-clicking DOSBox.app in the Applications folder and choosing "Make Alias?"

Reply 10 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

No, you can't do that as alias. You use the commands in terminal.app.
If you want a standalone clickable thing for each game it's more difficult. Afaik there is a Dosbox wrapper for this somewhere in the forum

Reply 11 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

OK, it works from terminal. I guess I could create a .bat file if this was Windows, but it's a Mac.
Maybe something like this would work
https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2778315

Reply 13 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Look at dosbox' wiki, I wrote an apple script to choose between several configs

Reply 14 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Dominus wrote:

Look at dosbox' wiki, I wrote an apple script to choose between several configs

I guess this is your script then
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/Mac_OSX_Advanced

I'll try working with that.

Thank you very much for your help, Dominus.
You too, Collector.