VOGONS

First post, by Zenyth

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

All Build Engine games seems to get flickering on sprites if I use 1024x768 as my screen resolution (reads blood, duke3d, redneck rampage, etc). Is there any workaround to fix that?

Reply 1 of 11, by Mau1wurf1977

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try changing the machine type setting. The one that allows you changing graphics cards.

My website with reviews, demos, drivers, tutorials and more...
My YouTube channel

Reply 2 of 11, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Does this happen only at 1024x768 or at all resolutions?

If it happens at all resolutions, I have this problem too. This happens with very fast CPUs. For example, on my desktop (Core i7-2600 @ 3.4GHz), the HUD sprites flicker a lot, but on my laptop (Core i5-3337U @ 1.8 GHz) it doesn't happen.

Setting machine to vesa_nolfb will fix the problem, it's a VESA 2.0 mode simulated graphic card the same way as the svga_s3 setting. Limiting CPU cycles also works, but I don't know the ideal cycle setting. 150000 cycles should be adequate for 800x600 resolution (obviously more for 1024x768), but I think it depends on the machine.

Reply 5 of 11, by Firtasik

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Unpack nolfblim.ren2com to a game folder, rename nolfblim.ren2com to nolfblim.com and add nolfblim.com to dosbox.conf just before game.exe (like blood.exe or duke3d.exe).

11 1 111 11 1 1 1 1 1 11 1 1 111 1 111 1 1 1 1 111

Reply 11 of 11, by ColdBrain

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Firtasik wrote:

Hmmmmm, that's weird. There's a cheat for displaying fps, press t and enter rate. Does it reach max 35 fps too?

Yes, it does. Actually, NOLFBLIM lowers my overall fps instead of capping it. I get higher fps if I look at a wall, but that also happens without it, and, without the app, my PC runs Blood through DOSBox without breaking a sweat.