VOGONS

First post, by fofff11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I am tyring to run dark forces on Mac and it keeps telling me cannot locate CD. Is there a way to get this running.
Or does someone have a step by step tutorial to do this on a mac? Thanks

Reply 1 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Have you tried this?
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/GAMES:Star_Wars:_Dark_Forces

It looks like all you need to do is copy the CD.ID file to the game folder, then edit the DRIVE.CD file as they describe.

I'm not using a Mac anymore so I can't be more specific.

Reply 2 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Yeah, that should work, but you need to understand the drive letter differences 😉
But first things first, did you mount your CD and it still complained or did you not?

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 3 of 14, by fofff11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I believe I did yes. As far as editing the file, I have no idea or experience with how to do that. So again is there a detailed step by step for a mac on this?

Reply 5 of 14, by fofff11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

mount c>Users>games>Darkforces ??

Reply 7 of 14, by skitters

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
fofff11 wrote:

mount c>Users>games>Darkforces ??

I don't recognize that syntax with the ">'s"

The line I used to mount my "C" in DOSBox was:
mount c /Users/username/Documents/DOSgames/C -freesize 999

Or to use the "~" instead of the full path it would be
mount c ~/Documents/DOSGames/C -freesize 999

I created a folder named "C" to be my DOSBox C because I found it less confusing.
The folder you're using as your DOSBox C will probably be different.

To mount a CD I'd type something like this at the DOSBox prompt:
mount d /Volumes/name-of-the-CD -t cdrom

or if there were spaces in the name of the CD, I'd add the quotes:
mount d "/Volumes/name-of-the-CD" -t cdrom

I used this as a reference when setting things up
http://www.dosbox.com/wiki/MOUNT#Mac_OSX

Reply 8 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

fofff1, if you ever show up again, if you do proper mountings it should work fine.
Use some folder to mount as c (for example "mount c ~/games"), mount the CD-ROM as d (in the case of my DF version the CD label is GAME104, so the correct mounting is "mount d /volumes/GAME104 -t cdrom") and then install the game and play it.
KEEP THESE MOUNT COMMANDS EACH TIME YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME!

DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 9 of 14, by fofff11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Dominus wrote:

fofff1, if you ever show up again, if you do proper mountings it should work fine.
Use some folder to mount as c (for example "mount c ~/games"), mount the CD-ROM as d (in the case of my DF version the CD label is GAME104, so the correct mounting is "mount d /volumes/GAME104 -t cdrom") and then install the game and play it.
KEEP THESE MOUNT COMMANDS EACH TIME YOU WANT TO PLAY THE GAME!

Thanks Im not entirely sure of the process. I Have a newer MAC. So the volumes/ or many of the c/ names on the forum don't apply - I have Doxbox. The game (dark forces) downloaded to a folder with all files.

Is someone able to walk through this step-by-step? Im willing to pay for help with this as well.. Thanks

Reply 10 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

1. What I wrote DOES apply, these things didn't change on a mac ever since OS X 10.1
2. We don't support illegal downloads - you don't have the CD, no wonder it asks for it. Poor you. Thread locked

Reply 11 of 14, by fofff11

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

This game WAS purchased from steam powered. Thanks

Also, we are talking about an extremely rare 1990s star wars game. You cannot even purchase it online, and the digital download is.......$5 --- so lets use some common sense here and be reasonable -- and again PM me if you can help get this running or can help. $$$

Reply 12 of 14, by leileilol

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
fofff11 wrote:

we are talking about an extremely rare 1990s star wars game

Dark Forces doesn't qualify for any rarity.

apsosig.png
long live PCem

Reply 13 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Problems with Dosbox need to go to the Dosbox Forum. Problems with the moderating of a mod -> contact the mod per pm, instead of writing a totally unrelated post that doesn't show what's it about.
I'll merge this and reopen the original topic.

As Leileilol wrote, Dark Forces is FAR from rare. Look at ebay and amazon, there are a lot of original copies to be found.

Reply 14 of 14, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

unlocked and edited the topic *slightly(?)*
The seconds post in this thread seems to be the relevant here. Edit Drive.ID with Textedit -> change the Letter in there to C.

OR you need someone to tell apart how the Steam version is configured and make that work...

And please, next time, give us all the information you can give. We told you repeatedly to use the CD, that could have been the first hint for you to mention that you got it off Steam.