VOGONS

First post, by Just_Another_DOS_Lover

User metadata

I'm just about to download this DOSBox program and I need to know if it can run Mortal Kombat 3 for DOS.

I know there is a nice MK3 version for Windows, but I don't like it: I can't use the Ctrl, Alt, Shift keys (I can't belive somebody who made such a good game can be so STUPID at Windows programming 😒 )

Thanks, haven't checked anything around here, hope this is not an abandoned site or something 😉 ...

Reply 2 of 11, by Just_Another_DOS_Lover

User metadata

Yes, it seems to work, but with a terrible price:
VERY SLOW + NON RESPONSIVE = UNPLAYABLE

What can I do to increase the speed? I raised CPU cycles to max, frameskip between 0 - 2, no other programs running etc., but no visible change...

I have a brand new AMD Sempron 2600+ at 1.6 MHz, 256 Mb DDRAM, GeForce MX400 with 128 Mb VRAM, powerful enough for many things (like playing emulated playstation games)

If it's not working on such a computer then I have 2 conclusions:
1. Something is still not setup right, but I doubt it;
2. DOSBox it's not YET what it was supposed to be 😢

What can I do?

Reply 4 of 11, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Click on "DosBox CVS Build" in my signature and use ykhwong's build.

Also as Qbix said use Dynamic core.

The fact that you can play playstation games on your computer really doesn't mean anything since DosBox and EPSX/PSXeven are totally different emulators.

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 5 of 11, by vasyl

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Also, don't push CPU cycles to the max from the beginning. At some point it may cause some adverse effects. Start at some reasonable value (8000-10000 should work on your system) and increase only if you find that it needs it.
Side note: 256MB of RAM is rather low if you are running Windows XP. The memory is not expensive these days, consider upgrading.

Reply 6 of 11, by Just_Another_DOS_Lover

User metadata

Hmm, thanks! I've downloaded the "ykhwong's build" and i'll try it soon (I'm at work right now 😒 ). I hope it will run better.

But what's that "dynamic core" you're talking about?

To the authors of DOSBox: I realy appreciate your work, it's nice that somebody is still fighting to preserve the good stuff. Keep up the good work!!!

Reply 7 of 11, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Dynamic core is just a tweak for improving cpu performance. It may be unstable, though and it's less compatible than normal core.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 8 of 11, by cigo30

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

so can you or can you not run MK3 on youre computer. i tried everithing but when i type indo dos mk3w for runing the game poof nothing happens. he said that program cant be run in dos mode?????

please help me i need to play that game

Reply 10 of 11, by cigo30

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

???? i dont get it. mk3 is compatibile with dos, isn't it?
so what do you suggest me to do? how can i make her run. if if start her from start menu, there is sound and everithyng but picture is lame. i can only see foggy picture.

if it's any help this is my configuration
amd a64 3000+
msi k8t800
maxtor sata 160 gb
radeon 9600 pro 128
512 ddr

Reply 11 of 11, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

mk3w.exe is for windows, mk3.exe for dos. If that executable is not
there, then it's the windows version of Mortal Kombat 3 (if that
existed, don't know). In the last case DOSbox obviously won't help.