VOGONS

First post, by Bogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi I've got CVS 20060201 and it finally runs Megarce 2 however the graphics are messed up.

I've seen this problem on a real machine and I think it may be a vesa problem.

I've attached a pic of the menu.

I also find that it kills Dosbox when switching to fullscreen unless the output is set to "ddraw".

But excellent work guys it's getting better all the time.

Attachments

• megarace2.jpg
    Filename
    megarace2.jpg
    File size
    48.38 KiB
    Views
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Bogul

Reply 2 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogul wrote:
Hi I've got CVS 20060201 and it finally runs Megarce 2 however the graphics are messed up. […]
Show full quote

Hi I've got CVS 20060201 and it finally runs Megarce 2 however the graphics are messed up.

I've seen this problem on a real machine and I think it may be a vesa problem.

I've attached a pic of the menu.

I also find that it kills Dosbox when switching to fullscreen unless the output is set to "ddraw".

But excellent work guys it's getting better all the time.

The problem is not with DOSBOX - using the latest CVS, I can play the game perfectly, with working movies and all.

In fact I'm surprised how fluently it runs. I'm getting more and more surprised at what games DOSBOX can run on a AMD 64 3000+ each day.

EDIT: I even forgot you can set graphical detail. It's running at max detail so that's even more astounding.

Attachments

• Filename
    mr2.jpg
    File size
    234.24 KiB
    Downloads
    130 downloads
    File license

Reply 4 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I'm using the same build - but perhaps he's using a ripped version (which exists) which doesn't have VESA detection during installation? To be honest, I have very very few graphical problems in VESA anymore since a few months using the latest CVS's. I'm surprised at how many games I can play fluently, even some in VESA in 3D games!

EDIT: just a note. The problem is that people report a game as not working, when it's only in their case, or with their version of the game. The games database is filled with wrong entries entered by people who don't know how to use DOSBOX in all possible ways.

So far, I've been able to run practically every game people deem unplayable, even in "latest CVS", most even with older CVS versions, or even vanilla DOSBOX 0.63. MDK for example runs very well, yet is said to not work. I try to add correct entries to correct the ones that said the game doesn't work - often because they don't even know how to correctly mount a CD/DVD drive!

When people add these faulty entries, it gives others a completely wrong image of what games work in DOSBOX. A working game means it's POSSIBLE to get a game working while a non-working game means it's impossible - so why are games set unplayable when it IS possible to play them, as long as you know to use dynamic mode/dos32a/less memory/etc.

So basically, it's dangerous to use one person's "experience" of a game to determine the status of a game in DOSBOX. Since at least 90% of all games said to not work, work quite well for me, that's saying a whole lot. (namely, the games list needs to be updated accurately 😜 )

Reply 5 of 15, by Jiri

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
wd wrote:

Well it might be, a build dated CVS 20060201 had problems with
some vesa stuff.

CVS 20060201 crashes on my computer with Windows XP + ATI card in fullscreen with high color modes (8bpp modes work fine). Only ddraw output works but I have to start the games in fullscreen (starting the game in windows and switching to fullscreen leads to crash with all outputs). I also noticed a glitch with the freeware game Diamond
http://www.freewebs.com/wizgui/Diamond.zip - it works fine in Windows.

Attachments

• diamond.jpg
    Filename
    diamond.jpg
    File size
    13.8 KiB
    Views
    File license

Reply 6 of 15, by wd

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

> CVS 20060201 crashes on my computer with Windows XP + ATI card in fullscreen with high color modes

This is a known problem with the surface/overlay mode, but
windowed mode should work fine as long as the desktop
resolution is >8bpp.

Reply 8 of 15, by Bogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

wd: In older versions Megarace 2 refuses to start because it lacks 24 or 32 bit modes.
I don't know the video modes but I know the screen is about a third bigger than the visible area as I can move the mouse pointer way off screen at the bottom.

red_avatar: My non ripped version does vesa detection at the start
The non cvs 0.63 displays 7 available modes and the cvs version 34 modes
I got it from the AEP-Emulation site (down at the moment)
Can you post your dosbox.conf or comment on mine (attached)

Attachments

• Filename
    dosbox.txt
    File size
    5.19 KiB
    Downloads
    135 downloads
    File license

Bogul

Reply 9 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Bogul wrote:
wd: In older versions Megarace 2 refuses to start because it lacks 24 or 32 bit modes. I don't know the video modes but I know […]
Show full quote

wd: In older versions Megarace 2 refuses to start because it lacks 24 or 32 bit modes.
I don't know the video modes but I know the screen is about a third bigger than the visible area as I can move the mouse pointer way off screen at the bottom.

red_avatar: My non ripped version does vesa detection at the start
The non cvs 0.63 displays 7 available modes and the cvs version 34 modes
I got it from the AEP-Emulation site (down at the moment)
Can you post your dosbox.conf or comment on mine (attached)

My dosbox.conf won't be of much use since I use a DOS menu program to setup everything except for display 😜

Lemme see:

It looks like you're using an outdated dosbox.conf ? It lacks a lot of options added later. Lemme guess: you copied it over from an older version? You need to let DOSBOX make its own conf first, and then copy the settings - this way you'll get to see all the new commands like UMB etc.

Reply 10 of 15, by Bogul

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

red_avatar: What Dos menu program are you using I've tried d-fend but as yet still no luck, as for my dosbox.conf it's straight from 0.63.

Where did you get your build of dosbox from? (if it's not vanilla 0.63)

Thx

Bogul

Reply 13 of 15, by ASM

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hm that reminds me of the graphics problem I have with Jack Orlando.
Jack Orlando

BTW: The 24-bit version of Grand Theft Auto also produces such a messed up graphics output. 😜

EDIT: I just tried the current CVS version and these graphic issues are gone in both games 😀

Reply 14 of 15, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Bogul, you're confusing a front end with a DOS menu program 😜 I don't like front ends. The dos menu I use, I designed myself to my own needs. Since it runs in DOS, i can go back to it and change any setting, which a front end won't allow so far - plus it's more authentic since it's part of DOS.

I use 3D menu to make my menus with. I can attach batch commands to any menu options, with sub menus etc. For example I have menu options that change seperate options in DOSBOX like SB emulation, but I also have pre-set settings, which can instantly set DOSBOX correctly for each kind of game. Very useful.