VOGONS

First post, by Swoene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

😢 Folks,

i tried dosbox, i tried vdmsound - nothing worked. ok, with dosbox you get a few pictures, but sound is crap and and the game freezes way too often.

with vdms there'S always this "out of memory" error.

i searched all topics on it posted here, dozens of other message boards - it's always the same: people can't get Stonekeep running, asking for help and some bloke replying either "dosbox is the answer to all our prayers" (it is NOT!) or "use vdms" and then some technical gibberish about .pif and what-do-i-know-files.

i cannot believe there is a single person here who has played Stonekeep with Win XP running and really having fun.

if you got a miracle up your sleeve, please show it.

Bollocks, it was my fist pc game and i will be never playing it again! and that pisses me off. that and all the time i wasted on scrolling through all these boards.

Swoene

Reply 1 of 10, by red_avatar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Erm ... I played Stonekeep before without any problems. I don't recall if Stonekeep uses DOS4GW though but it's often this that causes a game to crash - if it does, use DOS32A instead.

Reply 2 of 10, by Swoene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

did, and i got to admit it increased the performance – but only a little and sound still sucked. maybe my machine just can't do it?

acer travelmate laptop with a
1,6 meg celeron,
256 ram,
32 mb shared graph. mem.

Reply 3 of 10, by LoneLines

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Yeah, your machine is a bit in the low end...

Using WIn98, DosBox 0.65, 256MB of Ram and a P3 - 1GHZ the game is playable (though audio stutters occur).

To improve performance, try core = dynamic, cycles = auto and make a CD image of the game and mount it.

More instructions on my wiki if needed...

LoneLines list of workarounds for various games in DOSBox:
http://ADogsBox.jellofishi.com

Reply 5 of 10, by Swoene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

thanks folks,

@lonelines: i'll do that tonight and will definetely check your wiki. but i doubt that a cd image will improve the stuttering sound.

@avatar_58: yep, i got the patch.

still don't understand why this vdms stuff doens't work... 😦

Reply 7 of 10, by Swoene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

uh, well, im in the office right now so i don't have my laptop in front of me, but i'll try:

after rightclicking on the sk.bat and chosing "run with vdms" the dos-window apprears where it says "Dos32..." - the lines the dos window always start with.

then all goes black. in the centre of the window the error message appears, inside a white double-line frame, saying

"Out of memory, allocating (a lot of letters and numbers)"

it disappears when i press a button leaving the dos window where it says something like "you are afraid of facing the creatures of the shadow again".

does that help?

Reply 9 of 10, by Swoene

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Thank you for the afford. thing is, i had a look at this thread a few days ago and it didn't help me.

i did the few things i understood:

Then edit your SK.bat file and add the line "dosdrv" before the game executable.

Finally edit the Stonekeep PIF shortcut and add the argument OTHER_OS to the command line (remove the WIN95 argument).

i added the line OTHER_OS - didn't change anything for me. though in my sk.bat there was no W95 argument in the first place.
i added the line "dosdrv" in several places of the code - with the result that the sk.bat didn't work any more.

The PIF just allows you to edit memory allocation more than the VLP file

i don't have a clue what .pif and .vlp files are and didn't find any.

This sounds like you don't have the GUI installed. Make sure you downloaded/installed v2.04 of VDMSound, installed (copied over) the update files, then installed v1.0.0.7 of the GUI Launcher.

Right-click on the game's executable, choose the "Run with VDMS" with the little musical note. (If the hint message pops up, clear the checkbox so it doesn't appear next time.) Immediately quit the game (or kill it if you can't quit). Now go take a look at the new .VLP file created for your game.

installing the gui for vdms failed. never seen the hint message.

😕 😕 😕