VOGONS

First post, by Major_Blackhart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hey, this was mentioned by another registered user on this forum post:
Crusader: no remorse wont load 4th mission.

However, when I did a further search, I couldn't find anything relating to a possible solution to the user's problem.

I'm using Dosbox version 0.73. I have an original copy of Crusader: No Remorse, and have installed it properly using Dosbox.

The game was running perfectly until the end of level three. I have the same issue described in the link above, the longer video will play after I teleport, but then after the video completes, there is a blank screen, simply jet black.

I can still hear several sounds, so the game (I'm guessing) has not frozen (the sounds I hear are the E for Energy pack, and M for Medipack sounds).

When I try to skip through the video, even then the screen jumps to black, and it appears that even after several minutes the game simply won't load. I'm at a total loss at this point and am unsure what steps next to take. The game, other than this, runs absolutely flawlessly on my system.

Any suggestions or answers would be most helpful in this regard.

Reply 1 of 4, by HunterZ

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Try installing the patch(es) maybe?

http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=p … 121p.zip&ref=ps
http://dlh.net/cgi-bin/dlp.cgi?lang=eng&sys=p … sndp.zip&ref=ps

Reply 2 of 4, by Major_Blackhart

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

No, I've checked the patch info. People on the Echo Sector are having the same trouble even with the latest patch. I don't think it's patch related.

I've even turned off the in game movies and still, the screen goes to jet black.

Reply 3 of 4, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I've played the game through without problems, but that was with DOSBox v0.72. You could upload a savegame from just before the point the problem starts so someone can verify.

Reply 4 of 4, by ripsaw8080

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

Using the patched version of the game (v1.21) and the save file from the linked thread, there is some problem that occurs. It happens with DOSBox 0.72 and 0.73, but there isn't much to suggest that DOSBox is causing the problem; it may be a game bug. An error message is displayed by the game that isn't visible (perhaps because of how DOSBox handles text with no attributes written to an SVGA video mode): "No destination for this egg!"

You could try re-playing mission 3 to see if the problem can be avoided. If that fails, you can go directly to the mission you want using a level warp; which may not be the best solution, but it's better than nothing. Example command line: CRUSADER -warp 4 -skill 3