VOGONS

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finished EOB1, moved my characters to EOB2 and now I've also finished EOB2 and moved again my characters to EOB3.

While EOB1 and EOB2 play 100% fine under dosbox without much fiddling of the settings, EOB3 is a different story.

While it runs and plays fast enough, the audio seems messed up. Either its too demanding or incompatible with dosbox. The effects are a little "delayed" or completely miss playing.

For example, when 4 enemies hit me and I cast a fireball spell at them, I hear the enemy "hit" effect but the fireball explosion isn't heard.

Another example, is when I "hit" with 3 swords of mine, one after the other. I hear the first and second "wwoosh" sound effect but the third is either never played or delayed by a second or so.

This never happened when I was playing the game on a real machine with a real sound blaster card. So, I'm trying to figure out if the issue is that dosbox doesn't fully (or properly) emulate a sound blaster 16, or that dosbox isn't configured properly by me.

Anyone with EOB3 can please give it a try and let me know if its possible to fix the audio issues?

--
sehh

Reply 1 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For reference, here are my current settings (some of them that I think are relevant):

emulation core: auto
cpu type: auto
cpu cycles: max
memory: 63 MB, Use XMS, Use EMS, Use UMB
window/fullscreen resolution: original
Start in full screen mode: enabled
Use double buffering: disabled
Keep correct aspect ratio: enabled
Render: surface
Video card: vesa_nolfb
Scale: super2xsai
Activate sound: enabled
Use mixer: disabled

the rest are left at their default values.

--
sehh

Reply 2 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember the sound was already crappy on a real SB16 running under real ms-dos. Besides, this game wouldn't run without EMS. It was poorly coded in comparison to Westwood masterpieces.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 4 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

eL_PuSHeR, sound worked fine on my real PC, overall the game was slower on loading/starting, surely heavier on hardware but it played fine on a Pentium pc and never hard audio issues.

Qbix, when I lower the blocksize, sounds are played in half (the audio effect starts to play but its abruptly cut short).

Would it make a difference if I switched to another sound card emulation?

--
sehh