VOGONS

First post, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I finished EOB1, moved my characters to EOB2 and now I've also finished EOB2 and moved again my characters to EOB3.

While EOB1 and EOB2 play 100% fine under dosbox without much fiddling of the settings, EOB3 is a different story.

While it runs and plays fast enough, the audio seems messed up. Either its too demanding or incompatible with dosbox. The effects are a little "delayed" or completely miss playing.

For example, when 4 enemies hit me and I cast a fireball spell at them, I hear the enemy "hit" effect but the fireball explosion isn't heard.

Another example, is when I "hit" with 3 swords of mine, one after the other. I hear the first and second "wwoosh" sound effect but the third is either never played or delayed by a second or so.

This never happened when I was playing the game on a real machine with a real sound blaster card. So, I'm trying to figure out if the issue is that dosbox doesn't fully (or properly) emulate a sound blaster 16, or that dosbox isn't configured properly by me.

Anyone with EOB3 can please give it a try and let me know if its possible to fix the audio issues?

--
sehh

Reply 1 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

For reference, here are my current settings (some of them that I think are relevant):

emulation core: auto
cpu type: auto
cpu cycles: max
memory: 63 MB, Use XMS, Use EMS, Use UMB
window/fullscreen resolution: original
Start in full screen mode: enabled
Use double buffering: disabled
Keep correct aspect ratio: enabled
Render: surface
Video card: vesa_nolfb
Scale: super2xsai
Activate sound: enabled
Use mixer: disabled

the rest are left at their default values.

--
sehh

Reply 2 of 7, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I remember the sound was already crappy on a real SB16 running under real ms-dos. Besides, this game wouldn't run without EMS. It was poorly coded in comparison to Westwood masterpieces.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)

Reply 3 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

maybe lower the prebuffer and blocksize for the mixer

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 4 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

eL_PuSHeR, sound worked fine on my real PC, overall the game was slower on loading/starting, surely heavier on hardware but it played fine on a Pentium pc and never hard audio issues.

Qbix, when I lower the blocksize, sounds are played in half (the audio effect starts to play but its abruptly cut short).

Would it make a difference if I switched to another sound card emulation?

--
sehh

Reply 5 of 7, by Qbix

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Author
Rank
DOSBox Author

you could try sb1 or something like that.

Water flows down the stream
How to ask questions the smart way!

Reply 6 of 7, by robertmo

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

first of all try fixed amount of cycles
And what is your cpu, OS?

Reply 7 of 7, by sehh

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Intel Core2 Duo CPU (T7100) 1.8GHz
Fedora Linux 11 64bit
Windoze Vista 32bit
3GB ram

I'll try the above suggestions, thank you.

--
sehh