VOGONS

How to install Windows 98 Second Edition on dosbox with 3dfx video card?

Topic actions

• This topic is locked. You cannot reply or edit posts.

First post, by MediaVistaIntel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

French original

Bonjour j'ai Windows 98 se (Seconde Édition) et j'arrive pas à l'installer sur dosbox avec carte 3dfx vidéo comme ici, j'ai vu sur ce topic windows 98 se (Seconde Édition) installer sur dosbox, mais je sais pas comment faire, il y a bien sur le forum un topic pour installer windows 95 mais que pour la 1er version de windows 95, il ne marche pas pour windows 98 se (Seconde Édition). J'ai 2 cd de windows 98 se (Seconde Édition) un bootable et un non bootable et 1 disquette bootable de windows 98 se. J'ai Windows Vista Home Premium 32 bits SP2 et Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bits pour faire marcher dosbox sur pc cpu Intel core 2 duo E6600 à 2,4 Ghz non o/c et 2 Go de RAM.
Ma question est comment installer Windows 98 se (Seconde Édition) sur dosbox avec carte 3dfx vidéo? je déjà sais faire des images de disque dur formater en fat16 avec Bochs et les monter avec imgmount sur dosbox, je peut en faire jusqu'à 2 Go par fichier image.

translated into English

Hello I have Windows 98 (Second Edition) and I can not manage to install it on dosbox with 3dfx video card as here I saw this topic windows 98 se (Second Edition) installed on dosbox, but I do not know how so, there are many on the forum a topic to install windows 95 but for the first version of Windows 95, it does not work for Windows 98 SE (Second Edition). I have 2 cd windows 98 se (Second Edition) a bootable cd and a non-bootable, and bootable floppy windows 98 se. I have Windows Vista Home Premium 32-bit SP2 and Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit to run on dosbox pc cpu Intel Core 2 Duo E6600 2.4 Ghz no o / c and 2 GB of RAM.
My question is how to install Windows 98 (Second Edition) on dosbox with 3dfx video card? I already know to make images of hard disk formatted in fat16 with Bochs and mounted with imgmount on dosbox, I can make up to 2 GB per image file.

Reply 1 of 32, by MediaVistaIntel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

UP
Original in French

DirectX3D 7, 8 et 9 est impossible sous windows 9x virtualiser avec Virtual PC, Vmware et Virtual Box!

English translation by google

DirectX3D 7, 8, and 9 is impossible under Windows 9x virtualization with Virtual PC, VMware and Virtual Box!

Reply 2 of 32, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MediaVistaIntel wrote:

DirectX3D 7, 8, and 9 is impossible under Windows 9x virtualization with Virtual PC, VMware and Virtual Box!

It's also impossible under Win9x with DOSBox, so if that's what you want, you might as well stop right here.

Otherwise, there is nothing more to say here that hasn't already been said in other threads that you are evidently capable of finding.

Reply 3 of 32, by MediaVistaIntel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

DOSBox "Next-Gen" emulator windows 98 on dosbox with 3dfx card vidéo!!!

The method described for "Windows 95" does not work for "Windows 98 Second Edition"!
I would therefore s'avoir how to install "Windows 98 Second Edition" on dosbox with 3dfx video card?
links to install "windows 98 second edition" on dosbox?

Reply 5 of 32, by ADDiCT

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

How are we supposed to explain a complicated (and UNSUPPORTED, as a number of people already have pointed out) matter when you're not even capable of writing english posts without using machine translation, which produces incomprehensible results? Unlesss you're 70 years old I'm sure you had english classes in school, so go ahead and at least try making the effort.

Basically, it comes down to this: yes, DOSBox (obviously) runs Windows 98. No, it's not "officially" supported, so there are no "official" infos like written tutorials. Plus, "not supported" means you're on your own when encountering problems, unless you're very lucky. You'll have to find a kind soul to explain, if you need step-by-step instructions. Good luck.

Btw: the "3dfx voodoo chip emulation" thread you've linked to doesn't explcitly mention Win 98 SE IIRC. The YouTube video doesn't, either. Maybe SE simply doesn't work at all?

Reply 6 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

And I'm also not sure what you want specifically. Emulation of 3dfx? That's work in progress and not there for the masses.
Or do you want dosbox working with your 3dfx card? That works for direct3d but will never work for utilizing your real hardware glide support...

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 7 of 32, by ppgrainbow

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Windows 98 Second Edition is unsupported under any version of DOSBox.

Read this forum thread on how Windows 95 and the original release of Windows 98 can be installed in this forum thread: Windows 95 in DOSBox with 256 Colors, Sound, and CD-ROM support

In the forum thread that I linked to, robertmo clearly explained how one of the two operating systems can be installed successfully. But be warned, Windows 95 and Windows 98 installations will need to be somehow tweaked to get it to work properly; otherwise, you're out of luck.

If you want to use Windows 98 Second Edition, I suggest that you use Bochs, VMware Player, Qemu or VirtualPC.

Reply 8 of 32, by DosFreak

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
ppgrainbow wrote:

Windows 98 Second Edition is unsupported under any version of DOSBox.

Windows 9x is unsupported under any version of DOSBox as of 9/28/2010

How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Make your games work offline

Reply 13 of 32, by MediaVistaIntel

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
SBlaster wrote:

You need to compile your own build using the patches, and even then, you wouldn't want to play with it, it's still in early stages and you can't get a decent framerate.

Problem I can not compile a program source code.
Can someone give it dosbox with 3dfx video as the next frame
dosboxvoodoo.png For Windows Vista home Premium 32 bits SP2 and / or Windows 7 home Premium 64 bits ?
Although it is a beta version that does not grave!
Thank you

Reply 16 of 32, by Dominus

User metadata
Rank DOSBox Moderator
Rank
DOSBox Moderator

Stop using that screenshot over and over... Highly annoying... As for a dosbox with glide support, you will just hace to WAIT

Windows 3.1x guide for DOSBox
60 seconds guide to DOSBox
DOSBox SVN snapshot for macOS (10.4-11.x ppc/intel 32/64bit) notarized for gatekeeper

Reply 17 of 32, by Quaker766

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Use yhkwongs o.74 build. It has the inbuilt 3dfx emulation in it. Sad thing is that its the early version of Kekkos 3dfx, so it is really slow. Also 98 keeps giving me illegal operations so it doesnt work very well. If u can (CAN; Doesnt mean it will work!) You have to install 3dfx drivers. I used grtvgr from the f1rs cd (Put them into the HD image 🤣 ) So thats download yhkwongs build (i'll attach it 😀) Install drivers get a glide game and enjoy. 😀

Attachments

• Filename
    20101216.zip
    File size
    3.9 MiB
    Downloads
    348 downloads
    File comment
    yhkwong dosbox build w/3dfx Direct3D
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 19 of 32, by valnar

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

I would say Win95 is preferable to run on DOSBox, not just because its more stable, but because it's a better option for the games & hardware the emulator can support. Win95 supports the older VXD drivers which is more compatible with DOSBox. Win98 supports WDM mostly (some older VXD won't work) and that is the cause for some of the instability.

DOSBox works better on the glass-half-empty side of 16bit vs 32bit. Win98 is more half-full towards 32-bit.