First had to patch the original Hexen to v1.1 but the patch refused to install ("The date of HEXEN.EXE does not match the date I […]
First had to patch the original Hexen to v1.1 but the patch refused to install ("The date of HEXEN.EXE does not match the date I'm looking for."). So, I had to rename RESOURCE.1 to RESOURCE.EXE and run it. This gave me two new files called PATCH.EXE and PATCH.RTP.
After this I ran the PATCH.EXE. It gave an error message (error ept0036: ...) but HEXEN.EXE and HEXEN.WAD were both succesfully patched before the error interrupted the patching process.
Now the add-on worked and if I had the Hexen CD mounted the game used the CD-audio from the original game. Without the CD the add-on doesn't have any music although I think it's supposed to play the MIDI music from the original game.
There is also a second patch that has something to do with the CD-audio (dkpatch.zip, "Redbook audio now plays correctly."). I don't know if it's necessary to use this patch since the CD-audio was already working with my game but I applied it anyway. Again, I got the error message "error ept0036: etc..." but HEXDD.WAD was succesfully patched before the error, so I think it did whatever it was supposed to do. And the add-on worked after this with CD-audio like before.