VOGONS

First post, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

According to the thread below, he had a strange issue in Linux involving timestamps when trying to install this particular add-on:

Re: LINUX Specific -- Patching Hexen 1.0 to 1.1

Does this timestamp problem also apply to Dosbox .74 in Windows 7 or is it strictly a Linux issue?

Reply 1 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Why don't you try it and find out..?

If all else fails, you might have better luck with an SVN version of DOSBox, as some changes have been made to timestamp handling since the release of 0.74.

Reply 2 of 4, by MasterO

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Jorpho wrote:

Why don't you try it and find out..?

If all else fails, you might have better luck with an SVN version of DOSBox, as some changes have been made to timestamp handling since the release of 0.74.

I cannot do that because I currently do not own either the base game or its add on.

I am looking into getting them both and don't want to buy Deathkings, only to be unable to play it.

That was the primary reason for this thread.

Reply 3 of 4, by Jorpho

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
MasterO wrote:

I am looking into getting them both and don't want to buy Deathkings, only to be unable to play it.

I don't know what's involved in buying Deathkings these days, but if you are that concerned about it, it shouldn't be that difficult to download it from somewhere so you can test it yourself. Otherwise, as the previous thread suggests, even if there's an issue with DOSBox and timestamps, it is quite trivial even in Windows to manually modify the timestamps (though you will probably need a third-party utility).

In any case, if I'm not mistaken, Deathkings is supported by modern Hexen source ports, which would probably be preferable to running it in DOSBox.

Reply 4 of 4, by zirkoni

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
First had to patch the original Hexen to v1.1 but the patch refused to install ("The date of HEXEN.EXE does not match the date I […]
Show full quote

First had to patch the original Hexen to v1.1 but the patch refused to install ("The date of HEXEN.EXE does not match the date I'm looking for."). So, I had to rename RESOURCE.1 to RESOURCE.EXE and run it. This gave me two new files called PATCH.EXE and PATCH.RTP.

After this I ran the PATCH.EXE. It gave an error message (error ept0036: ...) but HEXEN.EXE and HEXEN.WAD were both succesfully patched before the error interrupted the patching process.

Now the add-on worked and if I had the Hexen CD mounted the game used the CD-audio from the original game. Without the CD the add-on doesn't have any music although I think it's supposed to play the MIDI music from the original game.

There is also a second patch that has something to do with the CD-audio (dkpatch.zip, "Redbook audio now plays correctly."). I don't know if it's necessary to use this patch since the CD-audio was already working with my game but I applied it anyway. Again, I got the error message "error ept0036: etc..." but HEXDD.WAD was succesfully patched before the error, so I think it did whatever it was supposed to do. And the add-on worked after this with CD-audio like before.

So it's possible to make it work in DOSBox even without modifying any timestamps, although I haven't played the addon past the very beginning of the game so I can't be sure if there are some problems later in the game.

https://youtube.com/@zirkoni42