VOGONS

First post, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, after obtaining a copy of "James Bond: The Stealth Affair" I attempted to run it in DOSBox using version 0.63 with VGA features and 3000 cycles. At first, all goes well, and I click OK on the first screen, but when the game goes to the early copyright protection screen, the game crashes. If I remember correctly, I did not have this problem with version 0.62 of DOSBox but I could be wrong. I have also tried an identical game called Operation Stealth (The game was released in the UK as Operation Stealth and in the US it was released as James Bond: The Stealth Affair) and Operation Stealth seems to work fine without any problems. Does anybody know how I might go upon fixing this? Thanks 😀

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 3 of 10, by Zork

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Got it to work. Apparently, I wasn't answering the copyright protection properly and it caused the game to crash.

"You have entered a dark place. You are likely to be eaten by a grue."

Reply 4 of 10, by Kippesoep

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

Just wondering: do you also get a lot of flickering while running this game? It's probably not DOSBox' fault, since I also get it when running with VDMSound. Quite annoying, though.

Reply 8 of 10, by orieac

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Zork wrote:

Does anybody know how I might go upon fixing this? Thanks 😀

ScummVM SVN has a WIP engine for Future Wars and Operation Stealth. Future Wars is alreaddy completable, and Operation Stealth (AKA James Bond: The Stealth Affair) should also be completable with that engine.

Reply 10 of 10, by eL_PuSHeR

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

I have remember other two games where you are better selecting MCGA rather than VGA. In this case, speed related.

- THE IMMORTAL (By Will Harvey). Use command-line option
- OPERATION WOLF (Taito). Run with r parameter.

In both games, selecting MCGA makes them run faster/better and with no quality loss.

Intel i7 5960X
Gigabye GA-X99-Gaming 5
8 GB DDR4 (2100)
8 GB GeForce GTX 1070 G1 Gaming (Gigabyte)