Large HD images (DOSBOX)

Here you can discuss the development of patches.

Re: Large HD images (DOSBOX)

Postby Serious Callers Only » 2018-7-20 @ 17:13

Bumping this since this patch starting failing to apply since r4130. I may try to fix it for myself on the ppa but i'd prefer this was fixed in the thread.

And i mean 'fixed' as a diff, not a executable being shared ofc.

edit:'fixed' it on the ppa by hacking around it on this commit (the voodoo patch is just a 'drift' update and not relevant), not sure if it's subtly broken or not because i don't really understand the code.

There were only two 'real' changes that caused the patch to fail on recent revisions on drive_fat.cpp.

One was very simple to fix, a new function variable assignment was introduced instead of being inline...

the other, a cleanup 'if' was expanded greatly on this upstream commit (this is a clone repository) https://bazaar.launchpad.net/~i30817/do ... ision/4028 (line 731), that was changed by the original patch to do the opposite that upstream does, i moved the original part out and recreated what the original patch did (left created_successfully == true, assigned 'fattype = FAT32' and returned) and left the rest of the conditions assigning 'created_successfully = false;' for the new error cases. I'm not sure this really works considering how the rest of the file interacts with both the patch and the new code at upstream r4130, whatever.

I only use this patch on large windows 95 games i want to run on dosbox (which requires fdisk formated native images), so it's a borderline use anyway.
Serious Callers Only

Postby gulikoza » 2018-8-05 @ 02:50

That 'if' is just a quick hack to allow unrecognized (fat32) or unformatted images to be mounted. DOSBox will obviously not read those drives, but they can be used inside booted OS (if supported).

An unsupported "fattype = FAT32" is assigned to these drives (even if the image is unformatted), this flag is checked later in fatDrive::FindFirst to stop reading the files and return empty :). Because the entire 'if' is a "Sanity check" which we want to avoid in this case, you can just use the entire new 'if' conditions and apply the same modifications (created_successfully == true, ...).
gulikoza
Oldbie

Postby ruthan » 2018-8-05 @ 03:04

BTW how much work would be make proper FAT32 support for Dosbox?

Gulikoza: Im still using you Dosbox glide build from 2011, thanks for it, could you recommend some successor with same topmenu options and Glide support?
Im old goal oriented goatman, i care about facts and freedom, not about egos+prejudices. Hoarding=sickness. If you want respect, gain it by your behavior. I hate stupid SW limits, SW=virtual world, everything should be possible if you have enough HW.
ruthan
Oldbie

Location: Schwarz Wald-from France to Ukraine, from Denmark to Austria. Celts+German+Slavs melting pot.

Postby gulikoza » 2018-8-05 @ 04:47

Sorry, no idea, never studied the differences between fat32 and fat16.
gulikoza
Oldbie

Postby ripsaw8080 » 2018-8-05 @ 09:37

There is no need to modify the FAT drive sanity checks -- doing so opens the door to problems. Just use a "-fs none" switch if you want to mount an unformatted or FAT32 image for booting.
ripsaw8080
DOSBox Author

Postby ANGO » 2018-10-05 @ 17:15

All hints are not working for me!

Could someone please post a working empty 5 GB hd image which is working in normal Dosbox/DosboxSvn ?
If you compress the image, it have a size of about 1 MB.

I only got working imgaes till 2 GB from here: https://sites.google.com/site/dotalshoff/games/dosbox
But I need an image of 5gb ...
ANGO

Postby Dominus » 2018-10-05 @ 17:26

If you read the very first post, DOSBox doesn't support more than 2GB (unless I missed the patch going into SVN).
Dominus
DOSBox Moderator

Postby ANGO » 2018-10-06 @ 05:40

Dominus wrote:If you read the very first post, DOSBox doesn't support more than 2GB (unless I missed the patch going into SVN).

... I did not see that. Sorry and Thank you.
ANGO

Previous

Return to DOSBox Patches