VOGONS

First post, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Basically, as the subject says . I tried a recent build of smartmontools and it actually ran under Windows 98SE, but can find no drives .
Maybe somebody can suggest a specific older version of smartmontools that works under Windows 9x or something else entirely ?

Before anyone asks, the drive is a Samsung 860EVO SSD currently on an ICH2's IDE port (through an adapter) under Windows 98 SE . Smartmontools under Linux has no trouble reading said SMART attributes on that setup, so it's not a controller/adapter incompatibility . The driver currently is the Windows default driver (with BHDD31 patched ESDI506.PDR , maybe that's an issue) . I tried with the Promise version of smartvsd.vxd (left over from previous controller) and Windows 98 SE native one (restored via System File Checker) .

Reply 4 of 7, by darry

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
chrismeyer6 wrote on 2020-05-09, 02:03:

Your welcome best of luck with your project.

It works perfectly, thank again . Obviously, there are some attributes it does not know about (displays as unknown attribute, but still shows the values, which is fine), but I can't blame software from 15 years ago for not predicting the future. 😀

Reply 6 of 7, by red-ray

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
darry wrote on 2020-05-09, 03:26:

Obviously, there are some attributes it does not know about (displays as unknown attribute, but still shows the values, which is fine), but I can't blame software from 15 years ago for not predicting the future. 😀

The current version of my SIV utility should report all the SMART attributes on all of Windows 9x/NT/2K/XP and later. If any attributes are unknown it should be easy enough to adjust things.