VOGONS

First post, by oguzog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hello Vogoners,

I do have a problem with one of my systems.

When i first build it, it was working fine. And i gave it to my friend to keep it. He tried to play some games (like after 3-5 mo later)

He said that he has some issues with game graphics. please see the photos.

Specs
AT Chassis + PSU
486dx2-66 CPU
8MB EDO RAM
I/O Card
IDE-CF Conv.
Cirrus Logic VLB Graphics Card
External Battery takılı (Works with 3xAA battery)
Floppy Drive
Sound Blaster Sound Card
Serial Mouse

Things i have tried;

1-) Different Monitors (Both LCD and CRT)
2-) Different GPU slot
3-) removed all socketed vrams and bios chip from GPU, clean it with vinegar then soap then water. Dried it well. Replaced vrams randomly.

But same results.

What do you suggest?

IMG-7490.jpgIMG-7489.jpg
IMG-7488.jpg
IMG-6813.jpg
IMG-6812.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2022-02-11-at-19-25-06.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2022-02-11-at-19-24-09.jpg
Whats-App-Image-2022-02-11-at-19-23-50.jpg
kpiyi2h.jfif

Reply 1 of 3, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

First I would clean the edge connectors with good pencil eraser and then ISO alcohol and paper towel. Those hard tinned type are know for issues more than the brass/gold plated one in my experience.
The capacitors C15 and C40 are bent. Am sure they were not installed that way at the factory. Those caps are for filtering the DC so could have an impact on video quality if not functioning as intended.
I suggest replacing all the eletrolytic caps and see if it helps.

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 3, by oguzog

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Horun wrote on 2022-04-23, 23:56:

First I would clean the edge connectors with good pencil eraser and then ISO alcohol and paper towel. Those hard tinned type are know for issues more than the brass/gold plated one in my experience.
The capacitors C15 and C40 are bent. Am sure they were not installed that way at the factory. Those caps are for filtering the DC so could have an impact on video quality if not functioning as intended.
I suggest replacing all the eletrolytic caps and see if it helps.

I didn`t mention but i did IPA to all sockets and all legs of vrams as well.