VOGONS

First post, by Blaeeeek

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So I ended up with this new in box ASUS MEZ-VM mobo for basically free and I have a PIII 933mhz to put in it. Problem is, there is zero clearance for any sort of cooler. I would say there's less than a mm between the nearby capacitors and the socket itself. Does anyone have any advice for that?

Also, forgive me because i'm new to this. Am I even able to use a PIII 933mhz with this board? I see it listed as a Mendocino/Celeron board, and the manual shows the jumper settings only for different celeron speeds.

Photos attached of the clearance to the capacitors as well as the owners manual page that shows bus frequency settings. Thanks so much for your help in advance!

Attachments

• Screenshot 2022-12-21 182529.png
    Filename
    Screenshot 2022-12-21 182529.png
    File size
    227.79 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    CPU bus frequency
    File license
    Public domain
  • 20221221_180807.jpg
    Filename
    20221221_180807.jpg
    File size
    1.43 MiB
    Views
    File comment
    MEZ-VM
    File license
    Public domain
  • 20221221_180738.jpg
    Filename
    20221221_180738.jpg
    File size
    899.51 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    PGA370 Clearance
    File license
    Public domain

Reply 1 of 8, by Gmlb256

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

You won't be able to use it, being an early Socket 370 motherboard that only supports PPGA Mendocino Celerons. If it somehow worked (would require an adapter and modding), the jumpers for the CPU multiplier wouldn't matter as the multiplier is locked at 7.0x for the PIII-933.

VIA C3 Nehemiah 1.2A @ 1.46 GHz | ASUS P2-99 | 256 MB PC133 SDRAM | GeForce3 Ti 200 64 MB | Voodoo2 12 MB | SBLive! | AWE64 | SBPro2 | GUS

Reply 3 of 8, by dionb

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Asus terminology at the time:
ME = So370 PPGA Mendocino only
CU = So370 FC-PGA, Mendocino and Coppermine
TU = So370 FC-PGA2, Coppermine and Tualatin

It's possible to mod PPGA sockets to allow FC-PGA CPUs to run like your P3-933EB, but you'd also need to do something to the board's power delivery circuitry for low voltage & higher current required by the P3 you want to run. Can be done, but if you're "new to this" I'd recommend starting with a Celeron 300-533 as supported by the board. Or choose a different board.

Reply 4 of 8, by AlexZ

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

This board has AGP, ISA, ATX power connector, PS/2, DIMM therefore it could be great for DOS or early Windows 98 games. Get a couple of Mendocino Celerons 366. There is a chance some of them will run at 550 with increased voltage. If you can't set voltage then also get a couple of Mendocinos 333, some of them may run at 500. Mendocinos need at least 83Mhz FSB to deliver good gaming experience.

Pentium III 900E, ECS P6BXT-A+, 384MB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce FX 5600 128MB, Voodoo 2 12MB, 80GB HDD, Yamaha SM718 ISA, 19" AOC 9GlrA
Athlon 64 3400+, MSI K8T Neo V, 1GB RAM, NVIDIA GeForce 7600GT 512MB, 250GB HDD, Sound Blaster Audigy 2 ZS

Reply 5 of 8, by Sphere478

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

You could order new caps and lay them down with long leads.

Or use a celeron cooler or socket 7 cooler might need a high speed fan though.

There are mods that you may be able to do to overcome the incompatibility.

I’m a little rusty on the details as I have been working on other things, and it has been a while but have been compiling info for a future project. Will refresh my memory before project.

Re: Socket 370 Tweaker

Slotket 370 Tweaker.

Sphere's PCB projects.
-
Sphere’s socket 5/7 cpu collection.
-
SUCCESSFUL K6-2+ to K6-3+ Full Cache Enable Mod
-
Tyan S1564S to S1564D single to dual processor conversion (also s1563 and s1562)

Reply 7 of 8, by Tetrium

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++
Blaeeeek wrote on 2022-12-22, 00:27:

So I ended up with this new in box ASUS MEZ-VM mobo for basically free and I have a PIII 933mhz to put in it. Problem is, there is zero clearance for any sort of cooler. I would say there's less than a mm between the nearby capacitors and the socket itself. Does anyone have any advice for that?

Some early s370 Intel stock HSFs will fit and are quite beefy for the size. Problem these days is finding them.
One other issue with those HSFs is that often I end up replacing both the mounting clip (not easy to de-attach from the CPU socket) with a spare one and the fan (because I find the Intel stock ones too loud).
But the metal heatsink itself is kinda good as they come for boards with no clearance along the sides of the CPU socket. I especially like using these heatsinks for ss7 boards.

Earlier s7 HSFs will also fit Mendocinos, but may be inadequate in the cooling department especially for the faster Mendocinos

I happen to have one such HSF laying here on my table (I'm not even kidding) and the part number is A28835-001. Please keep in mind that this particular HSF is actually a liiiitle bit bigger (it extends a liiiitle bit outward) but you get the general idea of what type of HSF I mean 😀

Anyway, this was my solution as back then I happened to have plenty of those stock Intel HSFs and these ones turned out to be pretty useful after having swapped out the fan (it is loud for me but it will work) and often also the mounting clip with a mounting clip from some spare generic socket 7 HSF (especially for mendocinos with their big contact surface the pressure doesn't need to be at some very specific spot, so to say).

Whats missing in your collections?
My retro rigs (old topic)
Interesting Vogons threads (links to Vogonswiki)
Report spammers here!

Reply 8 of 8, by Paadam

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

The board has 440ZX chipset, it supports 100 MHz bus speed and the PPGA socket can easily be modded to accept Coppermines, just needs bridging two pins and isolating one pin. If the board has proper VRM chip then no other mods needed, if only capable of 1.8v then either replace VRM chip with another or just bridge VID pins so that it feeds 1.8v to CPU (most Coppermines are designed to work with up to 1.75v so that is absolutely no problem).

Many 3Dfx and Pentium III-S stuff.
My amibay FS thread: www.amibay.com/showthread.php?88030-Man ... -370-dual)