VOGONS

First post, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Hi there!

I got some cache chip from aliexpress (32K * 😎 to add 256K worth of L2 on my 486 but I can't get it to detect it.
Board is not much documented, it have jumper for selecting 128k or 256k. But I could not find any other jumper to set (like to turn it on) and there is no option for that in the limited BIOS (I see something like "Cache [Enabled]" but I can't go there to change that option (it's read only).

Also I did notice two unpopulated transistor near the cache bank, could they be required to get them to work? I did find only one other picture of a A1GX-1 board that have cache and have the transistor populated.
I did attach the picture, if someone can help me.

I would assume that if I got defect from aliexpress it would crash or do funny thing right, not just not detect any?
I did try with 128K (as in the picture) and the full 256K.

I did find "documentation" here : https://stason.org/TULARC/pc/motherboards/A/A … GX-2-CACHE.html

Attachments

• full board.jpeg
    Filename
    full board.jpeg
    File size
    975.46 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Full board
    File license
    Public domain
  • board cache.jpeg
    Filename
    board cache.jpeg
    File size
    702.32 KiB
    Views
    File comment
    Near the cache sockets, we see missing transistor.
    File license
    Public domain
Last edited by Rav on 2023-02-25, 21:57. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I did some test I took from ASUS VL/I-486SV2GX4 Rev 1.7 l2 cache problem

The different lines between the chips in same bank and different bank that should be parallel are parallel.
Voltage for all the chips is 5.03v.
Could not test down to the tag chip as that one is in the middle of the board and there is 3 buffers chip by the sram banks...

Will do a more extended test this weekend and also go to a big city to see if I can find sram there, in case i'm lucky..

Fun fact, I noticed that the rtc was not working when the ISA riser was not connected, like the seconds, don't even change when the system is on.
I did do all my sram test without that riser connected, I don't think that could affect the cache but maybe I should test with the riser installed just in case...

I was also able to gain access to the disabled option I mentioned earlier by moving a jumper "OEM bios / Acer bios" back to Acer. only difference is that it show an acer logo and give me access to the read only option, but nothing related to the L2, the cache option was already enabled but maybe it was just for the L1.

Reply 2 of 8, by jakethompson1

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
Rav wrote on 2023-02-24, 02:11:

I would assume that if I got defect from aliexpress it would crash or do funny thing right, not just not detect any?
I did try with 128K (as in the picture) and the full 256K.

Hello!

Do you have a TL-866 II? It can test SRAM chips, and highly recommend it if those chips are untested. A lot of us use those 128kx8, 32-pin chips we can only get from eBay in our boards that can handle them, and it seems about 10% of those that you get are bad.

Those cache size jumpers don't actually tell the BIOS anything about how much cache is installed. All they do is redistribute address bits between the tag RAM and the cache data lines. On all these old 386 and 486 boards, the BIOS determines the cache size by putting the chipset into a special cache test mode, writing patterns (0x55AA/0xAA55 etc.) into memory, and seeing what sticks. So if a cache chip doesn't respond at all or always returns bad data it's the same as a missing one.

Reply 4 of 8, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

I found that https://github.com/johnzl-777/SRAM-Read-Write
It append I did have an Arduino Mega 2560. So I should be able to test the sram chip soon without that tl866.
It won't tell me if there on spec with regard to latency but I will be able to know if it alive or dead.

Reply 5 of 8, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Problem solved.
I made that arduino sram tester and modified the program so it do full random fill then read it back then AA55ing the whole sram again and read it back again.

Weeded out 4 of the 10 chips, 40% defects!

Now running only with 128K only so I downgraded the ram to 16MB for now so it's fully cached.
Have to order more of that half dead sram!

Reply 6 of 8, by pentiumspeed

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Exactly why, I had issued many warnings that what you did was from chinese sellers. Not acceptable to have them take money for fakes and defective parts. In my opinion this is a big no no as this encourages them to keeping practicing these cheating on buyers like this.

Cheers,

Great Northern aka Canada.

Reply 7 of 8, by Nexxen

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
pentiumspeed wrote on 2023-02-25, 23:31:

Exactly why, I had issued many warnings that what you did was from chinese sellers. Not acceptable to have them take money for fakes and defective parts. In my opinion this is a big no no as this encourages them to keeping practicing these cheating on buyers like this.

Cheers,

Holding the "Honk if scammed on L2 cache" sign.

Yes, it's unbelievable no prior test isn't done before selling.
Go ask a refund...........

PC#1 Pentium 233 MMX - 98SE
PC#2 PIII-1Ghz - 98SE/W2K

Reply 8 of 8, by Rav

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

After eliminating the dead chips, It's still cheaper than local sram or certified sram unfortunately.
imo, they should just disclose the expected failure rate to the buyer so the buyer would be aware that he need to buy more and to test them first.
They will continue this practice until more shops offer sram at there price...

4$ for 6 chips that work fine on a 40mhz bus is fine.