VOGONS

First post, by MarkTheMorose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's probably heresy to admit it, but I removed all the caps from a working (as far as I knew at the time) motherboard, for de-soldering practise. (I needed to replace one on a monitor). In my defence, probably none of us knew at the time just how sought-after some 'old hardware' might become.

Anyway, I wonder if there is any reference anywhere that describes what value caps go where in one of these motherboards.

Thanks,
Mark.

Last edited by MarkTheMorose on 2023-07-05, 18:16. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 1 of 8, by weedeewee

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Might be better to ask such a question on the badcaps forum.

Right to repair is fundamental. You own it, you're allowed to fix it.
How To Ask Questions The Smart Way
Do not ask Why !
https://www.vogonswiki.com/index.php/Serial_port

Reply 2 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MarkTheMorose wrote on 2023-06-11, 12:01:
It's probably heresy to admit it, but I removed all the caps from a working (as far as I knew at the time) motherboard, for de-s […]
Show full quote

It's probably heresy to admit it, but I removed all the caps from a working (as far as I knew at the time) motherboard, for de-soldering practise. (I needed to replace one on a monitor). In my defence, probably none of us knew at the time just how sought-after some 'old hardware' might become.

Anyway, I wonder if there is any reference anywhere that describes what value caps go where in one of these motherboards.

Thanks,
Mark.

I have this board somewhere - its a revision 2 - (likely buried under a pile of other stuff 🙁 ) ...if no-one has pitched in the answer in a day or so, I'll dig it out and draw up a cap map for you.

Reply 4 of 8, by PC Hoarder Patrol

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
MarkTheMorose wrote on 2023-06-11, 12:01:
It's probably heresy to admit it, but I removed all the caps from a working (as far as I knew at the time) motherboard, for de-s […]
Show full quote

Thanks,
Mark.

Apart from the 3 highlighted in the attached pic, all other caps are NRSY 1000uF 10v 105C

SM P6SBA Rev 2.0 Cap Map.jpg
Filename
File size
128.78 KiB
Views
File license
Fair use/fair dealing exception

Note that revision 1.x boards seem to have slightly more caps (and possibly different values)

Reply 6 of 8, by MarkTheMorose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Apart from the 3 highlighted in the attached pic, all other caps are NRSY 1000uF 10v 105C

Note that revision 1.x boards seem to have slightly more caps (and possibly different values)

Thank you very much PC Hoarder Patrol; this exactly matches my revision 2.0 board, which I just found while looking for something else, of course. It's now evident that I'd removed the Slot 1 CPU retention bracket, I might have one around. It's not something I'll be refurbishing any time soon.

Thanks again,
Mark.

Reply 7 of 8, by MarkTheMorose

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Pino wrote on 2023-06-12, 15:42:

I also have a v 2.0 on my main retro machine, it's only about 15 capacitors, so I would be glad to help if you confirm your board is the same revision.

Hi Pino, if the roster of caps on your board is any different to that supplied by PC Hoarder Patrol, I'd appreciate a list, otherwise I'm good.

Thanks,
Mark.