VOGONS

First post, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Good afternoon!
I found at one of my acquitance warehouse this motherboard and I am trying to make it work.
I put ram, pci video card, slot 1 pentium 2 processor and an atx power supply which I know it works with a socket 462 motherboard. I put the multiplier switch to the lowest amount.
When I power it on, the buzzer starts beeping continously, with no pause, for 2 -3 seconds the power led and the cpu fan work, but it shutdowns itself.
Does anybody know what countinous beeping means. Any help is appreciated.

Reply 1 of 14, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
CoolDoomer wrote on 2023-07-23, 12:49:
Good afternoon! I found at one of my acquitance warehouse this motherboard and I am trying to make it work. I put ram, pci video […]
Show full quote

Good afternoon!
I found at one of my acquitance warehouse this motherboard and I am trying to make it work.
I put ram, pci video card, slot 1 pentium 2 processor and an atx power supply which I know it works with a socket 462 motherboard. I put the multiplier switch to the lowest amount.
When I power it on, the buzzer starts beeping continously, with no pause, for 2 -3 seconds the power led and the cpu fan work, but it shutdowns itself.

IIRC, for Award Bios - continuous beep is "NO RAM".
Try extract all RAM stick and start the board. Must be same sound.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 2 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Now strangely it doesn't beep anymore and it still closes itself down. I suspect is something related to shorting or power issue. I inspected the motherboard and the capacitors seem to be fine. I noticed a scratch on the bottom of the board. Not sure if this is the cause?

_DSC4900.JPG

https://imgur.com/a/lJcIXkq

Reply 3 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shevalier wrote on 2023-07-23, 13:49:
CoolDoomer wrote on 2023-07-23, 12:49:
Good afternoon! I found at one of my acquitance warehouse this motherboard and I am trying to make it work. I put ram, pci video […]
Show full quote

Good afternoon!

IIRC, for Award Bios - continuous beep is "NO RAM".
Try extract all RAM stick and start the board. Must be same sound.

I tried. It doesnt change.

Reply 4 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
_DSC4906.JPG
_DSC4908.JPG

Reply 5 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I tried putting an AGP card in there and I realized it is able to power it up because the fan of the card spins.

Reply 6 of 14, by shevalier

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Obviously something leaked and then corroded.
I would unsolder a couple of capacitors and see what's under them.
A scratch on the back of the board - you need to check, alas.

Aopen MX3S, PIII-S Tualatin 1133, Radeon 9800Pro@XT BIOS, Diamond monster sound MX300
JetWay K8T8AS, Athlon DH-E6 3000+, Radeon HD2600Pro AGP, Audigy 2 Value

Reply 7 of 14, by oh2ftu

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

What brand are those caps?

Reply 8 of 14, by Repo Man11

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie

There are motherboards out there that won't POST if the CMOS battery is dead or not present, so be sure to check this if you haven't.

"I'd rather be rich than stupid" - Jack Handey

Reply 9 of 14, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
CoolDoomer wrote on 2023-07-23, 18:58:

I tried putting an AGP card in there and I realized it is able to power it up because the fan of the card spins.

That just means the 12V rail is conducting into the slot. It's not a sign of very much.
There are also 5V and 3.3V rails going into the same slot, the fan doesn't confirm those, and we don't know if voltages are close to spec.
The beeping though does mean that the CPU is powering up and running. That's a sign of some life.

Do you have a multimeter? Try to find the other end of that trace and check for continuity across the scratch. It can be hard to get the probes to contact the pads so don't give up too quickly, you might have to push and twist a bit to get the probes into contact.

I don't have this board so I don't know if it would be normal for it to power off after a minor fault like "no RAM".

After it powers off, can you just switch it back on again, or do you have to reset the PSU by unplugging it first?

There is a "Power Good" signal involved with ATX and the voltage regulator on the board, but I don't know any details on how that whole scheme is designed to work.
I wonder if this could be a failure in that area - but I don't know if these are the correct symptoms (runs for a few seconds then turns off).

Depending what's wrong, it's possible this board is overvolting the CPU or maybe other hardware that's attached. Don't plug anything into it that you consider valuable.
I wonder why it stopped beeping - try reseating the CPU, slot-1 is flaky. Not to be too paranoid but if there's an issue with the Vcore regulator then there's also the possibility the CPU has died.

Reply 10 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
shamino wrote on 2023-07-24, 22:08:
That just means the 12V rail is conducting into the slot. It's not a sign of very much. There are also 5V and 3.3V rails going […]
Show full quote
CoolDoomer wrote on 2023-07-23, 18:58:

That just means the 12V rail is conducting into the slot. It's not a sign of very much.
There are also 5V and 3.3V rails going into the same slot, the fan doesn't confirm those, and we don't know if voltages are close to spec.
The beeping though does mean that the CPU is powering up and running. That's a sign of some life.

Do you have a multimeter? Try to find the other end of that trace and check for continuity across the scratch. It can be hard to get the probes to contact the pads so don't give up too quickly, you might have to push and twist a bit to get the probes into contact.

I don't have this board so I don't know if it would be normal for it to power off after a minor fault like "no RAM".

After it powers off, can you just switch it back on again, or do you have to reset the PSU by unplugging it first?

There is a "Power Good" signal involved with ATX and the voltage regulator on the board, but I don't know any details on how that whole scheme is designed to work.
I wonder if this could be a failure in that area - but I don't know if these are the correct symptoms (runs for a few seconds then turns off).

Depending what's wrong, it's possible this board is overvolting the CPU or maybe other hardware that's attached. Don't plug anything into it that you consider valuable.
I wonder why it stopped beeping - try reseating the CPU, slot-1 is flaky. Not to be too paranoid but if there's an issue with the Vcore regulator then there's also the possibility the CPU has died.

Sorry for the late reply. Thank you very much. I got today more time and put a diagnostic card.

3-94329.jpeg

When I powered it on it behaves like this.

https://imgur.com/a/iHALpRt
And it stops at C100. I think it uses here only 2 digits.

Reply 12 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-22, 18:43:

C1 is is a memory detection / size check.

If it's not getting past that point, it sounds like a RAM related problem.

I put all Dimm modules and now it doesnt beep and it showed more messages. But it still closed off. I had to power off the PSU to repeat the test.
C100 -> 0CC1 -> C30C -> C5C3 -> 0503

My BIOS is AWARD PCI/PNP686

https://mrbios.com/techsupport/award/postcodes.htm
It seems at Late Award BIOS (4-5x PnP), it suggest 05 as being keyboard controller check. It seems that something is working.

https://imgur.com/a/aGcCyTq

Reply 13 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

If somebody knows whats happening based of my video recordings, please let me know. Thanks.

Reply 14 of 14, by CoolDoomer

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
CoolDoomer wrote on 2023-08-22, 19:57:
I put all Dimm modules and now it doesnt beep and it showed more messages. But it still closed off. I had to power off the PSU t […]
Show full quote
Shponglefan wrote on 2023-08-22, 18:43:

C1 is is a memory detection / size check.

If it's not getting past that point, it sounds like a RAM related problem.

I put all Dimm modules and now it doesnt beep and it showed more messages. But it still closed off. I had to power off the PSU to repeat the test.
C100 -> 0CC1 -> C30C -> C5C3 -> 0503

My BIOS is AWARD PCI/PNP686

https://mrbios.com/techsupport/award/postcodes.htm
It seems at Late Award BIOS (4-5x PnP), it suggest 05 as being keyboard controller check. It seems that something is working.

https://imgur.com/a/aGcCyTq

What I find weird is that with one Dimm Module on the first DIMM Slot it buzzes and it makes that memory error on the Diagnostic card. Is this a sign that the first Dimm slot is problematic?