VOGONS

Intel i440EX board stuck at boot

Topic actions

Reply 20 of 35, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Today I received a Pentium II 350MHz (80523PY350512PE ), and what do you know? All games are working fine. I guess this board just really hates PIII CPUs.
It seems not possible for the board to get CPU up to 350MHz. It defaults at 233MHz, and when at 66MHz FSB default I'm supposed to be able to select speeds beyond 233MHz in the BIOS.
And there is indeed a setting, where I can select 333MHz as the maximum. On reboot it's still shown as 233MHz though, so I don't know if the board sets the CPU to 333MHz after the POST screen or if it's really stuck at 233MHz.
Is there a program that can show me the actual CPU speed?

Reply 21 of 35, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
naujoks wrote on 2023-09-09, 14:01:
Today I received a Pentium II 350MHz (80523PY350512PE ), and what do you know? All games are working fine. I guess this board ju […]
Show full quote

Today I received a Pentium II 350MHz (80523PY350512PE ), and what do you know? All games are working fine. I guess this board just really hates PIII CPUs.
It seems not possible for the board to get CPU up to 350MHz. It defaults at 233MHz, and when at 66MHz FSB default I'm supposed to be able to select speeds beyond 233MHz in the BIOS.
And there is indeed a setting, where I can select 333MHz as the maximum. On reboot it's still shown as 233MHz though, so I don't know if the board sets the CPU to 333MHz after the POST screen or if it's really stuck at 233MHz.
Is there a program that can show me the actual CPU speed?

So it looks like 440Ex behaves as 440Lx with PIII and my statement was wrong.
Your Pentium II 350MHz clock has 100MHz bus and a multiplier 3.5.
When you set 66MHz bus then the CPU has 66*3.5==233MHz clock. Set a bus clock higher to increase CPU clock.
The multiplier is locked and can't be changed. There're some CPU models with multiplier unlocked downward but I think they are Klamath (not Deschutes - correct me if I'm wrong)

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 22 of 35, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Are you saying your P2 350 works, but at 66MHz? Doesnt really sound like P3 issue, but stupid bios trying to do clever things like detecting CPU and automagically setting FSB depending on that detection, and whats worse ignoring pin B21.

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 24 of 35, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
naujoks wrote on 2023-09-09, 21:39:

The PII 350 works, at 66MHz, but it get detected as 233MHz. I can set it to 333MHz in the BIOS though, but the POST screen doesn't show it as such.

no, you cant set it to 333 because that would require changing multiplier 😀
Im lost as to what exactly is the perceived problem? Does P2 350 overclocked to 83MHz FSB work fine in 3D with GF2MX or does it crash just like overclocked P3 500?

Open Source AT&T Globalyst/NCR/FIC 486-GAC-2 proprietary Cache Module reproduction

Reply 25 of 35, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

The problem is that with the "plug and play" setting, i.e. FSB=66MHz and multiplier set to Auto, I should be able to set the CPU speed to 333MHz, which indeed I can, but on reboot the CPU speed is shown as 233MHz.
But maybe it is 333MHz but it just doesn't show on the POST screen. So is there a program that shows the CPU speed?

Reply 26 of 35, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
naujoks wrote on 2023-09-10, 05:53:

The problem is that with the "plug and play" setting, i.e. FSB=66MHz and multiplier set to Auto, I should be able to set the CPU speed to 333MHz, which indeed I can, but on reboot the CPU speed is shown as 233MHz.
But maybe it is 333MHz but it just doesn't show on the POST screen. So is there a program that shows the CPU speed?

P2 350 runs at 3.5 x 100. 3.5 x 66 is 233.
Need help to improve the support of 486/586/686 class CPUs in CPU-Z
are you saying your P3 500 somehow reverts from 333 to 233?

Reply 29 of 35, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Roman555 wrote on 2023-09-07, 07:23:
shamino wrote on 2023-09-06, 23:32:
Roman555 wrote on 2023-09-06, 10:44:

The BIOS is the latest.
I suppose we discuss here PIII-500 Katmai not Coppermine. So maybe is not so bad about compatibility of the chipset and the CPU

One of the video cards I tried on my LX boards was a Geforce2 MX AGP.
They locked up with Katmai and Coppermine, but worked fine with Deschutes and Mendocino.

Yes, I agree about hangings of PIII on 440Lx mainboards. I've read it on forums. Supposedly the problem is SSE instructions which is feature of exactly PIII (not P2). 440Ex was presented later and the error was corrected

Interesting. I didn't know the chipset had anything to do with SSE, but if it's involved then maybe that's why P3 locks up. Perhaps there's a later stepping of these 440EX chipsets that might not have the problem?
Seems another solution would be for the BIOS to disable SSE, if it's even possible for a BIOS to do that, but it would need an update that this board apparently doesn't have.
I'd be curious to try some other non-3D test that uses SSE, just to pinpoint if it's really SSE causing the lockup. I'd also love to try a PCI card on one of these boards to confirm it's not an AGP issue.

naujoks wrote on 2023-09-11, 09:32:

I'm not using the P3 anymore.
I'm using the P2 350MHz, and despite of me chosing 333MHz in the PnP BIOS, it registers as 233MHz.

The "333MHz" preset in the BIOS just autoselects the 66MHz bus clock and 5X multiplier, but your CPU won't accept that multiplier.
As rasz mentioned, your P2 350MHz has a 3.5X multiplier, so that's why it runs at 233MHz when used on your board with 66MHz FSB clock. The multiplier on your CPU is either entirely locked, or it just won't allow setting higher than 3.5X.

This is a Deschutes core Pentium 2. Most Deschutes CPUs are either locked to 1 specific multiplier, or only allow lower multipliers. You can try bypassing the BIOS and setting a higher multiplier manually with the jumpers as giantclam posted. That doesn't work with most CPUs but it wouldn't hurt to try, you might get lucky and be able to set 5X.

If that doesn't work, then the fastest Pentium 2 for this board would be the 333MHz. The P2 333Mhz is a Deschutes chip like the 350MHz, but it's meant for boards like yours with 66MHz FSB and comes with a 5X multiplier.

The Mendocino Celeron CPUs would also work in this board. All Slot-1 Celerons are compatible, but if you use a slocket adapter then you can also use socket-370 Celerons. In that case you have to be sure the Celeron is a Mendocino - those are the ones that are black and silver like a Pentium MMX. The Blue/green colored ones (which look like a Pentium 3) are Coppermine chips based on the Pentium3 so they won't work.
There are Mendocino Celerons up to 533MHz, but most 533MHz Celerons are Coppermine based and incompatible. So if you shop for these you have to make sure which type it is. They're easy to tell apart from the appearance.

If you don't mind overclocking, the fastest option would probably be something like a Mendocino Celeron 433-466MHz, and run it at 75-83MHz FSB. This would put you in the low 500MHz range but with a faster FSB, so it should be faster than the 533/66. Low to mid-500s is about where the Mendocino Celeron loses stability, so the 533MHz model isn't good for overclocking. Something in the 400s gives you room to overclock the bus a bit, and those models should also be easier to find and cheaper.
If you go that route, look for a slocket adapter that has Voltage jumpers on it. That way you can boost the Vcore a bit to help stabilize the overclock if it's needed.

If you raise the FSB to 75MHz or 83MHz on the P2 that you have now, it will run at 262MHz or 291MHz. Depending what you want to do with this machine, the speed might be fine.

Reply 30 of 35, by Roman555

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
shamino wrote on 2023-09-11, 12:41:
Interesting. I didn't know the chipset had anything to do with SSE, but if it's involved then maybe that's why P3 locks up. Pe […]
Show full quote
shamino wrote on 2023-09-06, 23:32:

One of the video cards I tried on my LX boards was a Geforce2 MX AGP.
They locked up with Katmai and Coppermine, but worked fine with Deschutes and Mendocino.

Yes, I agree about hangings of PIII on 440Lx mainboards. I've read it on forums. Supposedly the problem is SSE instructions which is feature of exactly PIII (not P2). 440Ex was presented later and the error was corrected

Interesting. I didn't know the chipset had anything to do with SSE, but if it's involved then maybe that's why P3 locks up. Perhaps there's a later stepping of these 440EX chipsets that might not have the problem?
Seems another solution would be for the BIOS to disable SSE, if it's even possible for a BIOS to do that, but it would need an update that this board apparently doesn't have.
I'd be curious to try some other non-3D test that uses SSE, just to pinpoint if it's really SSE causing the lockup. I'd also love to try a PCI card on one of these boards to confirm it's not an AGP issue.

naujoks has a PCI non-3D graphics. Probably any more or less modern multimedia apps are familiar with SSE. So it isn't difficult to test compatibility of SSE and 440Ex eliminating AGP.
Re: Intel i440EX board stuck at boot
I don't think it's possible at all to disable SSE using BIOS settings. Because an app may check SSE feature running CPUID instruction by itself.

[ MS6168/PII-350/YMF754/98SE ]
[ 775i65G/E5500/9800Pro/Vortex2/ME ]

Reply 31 of 35, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
naujoks wrote on 2023-09-11, 09:32:

I'm not using the P3 anymore.
I'm using the P2 350MHz, and despite of me chosing 333MHz in the PnP BIOS, it registers as 233MHz.

yes, because

rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-10, 08:13:

P2 350 runs at 3.5 x 100. 3.5 x 66 is 233.

so

rasz_pl wrote on 2023-09-10, 01:48:

Im lost as to what exactly is the perceived problem?

lets not jump to conclusions, OP is confused about multipliers and hasnt tested any other CPU a 83 FSB so we dont know what exactly is crashing and why
Afaik EX is just BX with special license, like 440ZX. Buyer is only allowed to mount it on a board with limited FSB selection.

Reply 32 of 35, by shamino

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
Roman555 wrote on 2023-09-11, 17:18:
Interesting. I didn't know the chipset had anything to do with SSE, but if it's involved then maybe that's why P3 locks up. Pe […]
Show full quote

naujoks has a PCI non-3D graphics. Probably any more or less modern multimedia apps are familiar with SSE. So it isn't difficult to test compatibility of SSE and 440Ex eliminating AGP.
Re: Intel i440EX board stuck at boot

He does, so if there's some non-3D application that uses SSE, it would be interesting if it still locks the system while using the non-accelerated PCI card.
My original theory when I ran into a similar problem was that it could be an AGP issue, so I'd like to try a 3D accelerated PCI card with this type of CPU+chipset combination, but I didn't have the right kind of card to try this.
Either of these experiments (preferably both) would help to determine if this is an AGP issue or an SSE issue.

lets not jump to conclusions, OP is confused about multipliers and hasnt tested any other CPU a 83 FSB so we dont know what exactly is crashing and why
Afaik EX is just BX with special license, like 440ZX. Buyer is only allowed to mount it on a board with limited FSB selection.
[/quote]
The 440EX is a lower cost version of the 440LX - so it's official limit is 66MHz FSB, but that's all the OP has used so nothing has been overclocked.
My reading of the situation has been this:
OP has run a Pentium-3 500MHz (presumed Katmai) at 333/66, which worked fine with a non-3D PCI video card but locks up when launching hardware accelerated 3D on a GF2 MX AGP card
and a P2-350MHz at 233/66, which does not lock up. Both were at 66MHz FSB.

I had the same symptoms a couple years ago with 3 440LX boards I tried which all locked up when launching 3D with Katmai and Coppermine CPUs. Based on that experience I'm convinced there's some sort of real compatibility problem with Pentium 3s and these chipsets, whether it's because of SSE, or an AGP issue, or something else.
It's possible naujoks has a different issue, of course, but it seems like another case of the exact same problem which is why I've latched onto it a bit.

Reply 33 of 35, by rasz_pl

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t
shamino wrote on 2023-09-12, 00:35:

The 440EX is a lower cost version of the 440LX - so it's official limit is 66MHz FSB, but that's all the OP has used so nothing has been overclocked.

Since both EX and BX were released together I expected Intel to release same silicon with different names. Checking datasheets EX retains LX pinout and lacks ACPI. Looks like indeed it has more common with LX, in fact its even more limited (ram) than original LX.

shamino wrote on 2023-09-12, 00:35:

OP has run a Pentium-3 500MHz (presumed Katmai) at 333/66, which worked fine with a non-3D PCI video card but locks up when launching hardware accelerated 3D on a GF2 MX AGP card

I tried asking OP multiple times, but it seems too hard to answer 😀 from his previous posts it looks like P3 was crashing when "testing it, at 83 * 5.", and since then OP hasnt tried P2 at 83.

Reply 34 of 35, by naujoks

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I think it's true that my PII CPU doesn't accept different multipliers, as changing the multiplier had no effect at all, MHz going neither up or down.
I did however set the FSB to 83MHz and then I get 291MHz. That seems to be the best possible result I can get. I don't think I will want to mess with voltages and further overclocking.
I don't have a 3D PCI card so I can't test if the board will lock up starting a 3D app.
I'm sorry, rasz_pl, what exactly is the question?