VOGONS

First post, by douglasfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi there, i'm looking for the proper driver for this onboard video card, it's in a Compaq Prolinea 4/33. I am running NT 3.51. The drivers I have found so far only allow me to go up to 256 colors using the drivers provided here. Apparently there is another driver from Microlabs that allows for 16bit color to be used. Here is the link to the drivers i'm using.

http://vogonsdrivers.com/index.php?catid=63

It also states there...

Windows 95, 98 and Me will automatically recognize and load a driver for the Tseng Labs chip sets on all of the Ultimate VGA boards.
All of the resolutions and color depths that the boards can support will be available.
However, for the /XL series boards (ET4000/W32, ET4000/W32i, ET4000/W32p), Micro-Labs supplies a driver which provides improved performance in TrueColor display modes. Our /XL series driver also automatically sets the refresh rate to match the Monitor Type listed in the Windows 95/98/Me Display Type screen.

Can someone point me to where I might be able to find the correct driver?

Reply 1 of 12, by Horun

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

What resolution are you trying to display ? What RamDAC is on the adapter ?
according to the datasheet you can get 16mil color but only at 640x480 mode and with the AT&T DAC, and still cannot get more than 256 color at 1024x768 with the 1Mb or more ram.
also says: Requires a Sierra HiColor DAC to use 32k or 64k color at 640x400 or 800x600 otherwise you are stuck at 256 color for 640, 800 and 1024 modes....
Datasheet also mentions it also depends on the BIOS on the adapter...

Hate posting a reply and then have to edit it because it made no sense 😁 First computer was an IBM 3270 workstation with CGA monitor. Stuff: https://archive.org/details/@horun

Reply 2 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

That compaq does not have a RAMDAC capable of 15/16 and/or 24bit modes, you are stuck with 256 colors regardless of driver. It should be possible to change the RAMDAC but it is soldered and perhaps the (video)BIOS itself cares that it is the right kind too...

T-04YBSC, a new YMF71x based sound card & Official VOGONS thread about it
Newly made 4MB 60ns 30pin SIMMs ~
mida sa loed ? nagunii aru ei saa 😜

Reply 3 of 12, by douglasfir

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I would like to run 16bit color if possible. From memory, I "think" the Prolinea 4/66 was capable of running 16 bit color. I have a 4/33. So there may be a difference there. If it just isn't possible it's not a big deal, but it would be nice. I actually e-mailed Microlabs and they responded, they sent me drivers for Windows 3.1 and NT 4.0. I could try the NT 4.0 driver, but at this point I'm not too optimistic. It's ok though, the machine is all fixed and running! I really appreciate everyone's help Horun, Tildo, thanks so much!

Reply 4 of 12, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglasfir wrote on 2024-02-11, 03:36:

I would like to run 16bit color if possible. From memory, I "think" the Prolinea 4/66 was capable of running 16 bit color. I have a 4/33. So there may be a difference there. If it just isn't possible it's not a big deal, but it would be nice. I actually e-mailed Microlabs and they responded, they sent me drivers for Windows 3.1 and NT 4.0. I could try the NT 4.0 driver, but at this point I'm not too optimistic. It's ok though, the machine is all fixed and running! I really appreciate everyone's help Horun, Tildo, thanks so much!

Make a picture of the RAMDAC sitting on the mainboard, and we can tell you more.

Reply 6 of 12, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglasfir wrote on 2024-02-12, 18:20:

the RAMDAC is a Tseng labs tc6167.

That is not a picture.
Tseng labs tc6167 most likely is main ET4000/W32i chip, NOT the RAMDAC, there are no RAMDACs from Tseng as far as I know.

Reply 7 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

In the Compaqs in the line I have had access to all had a MUSIC branded RAMDAC, a PLCC44 chip near the VGA connector.

Reply 9 of 12, by Tiido

User metadata
Rank l33t
Rank
l33t

Yeah, this is 256 colors only DAC which also integrates a PLL to generate pixel etc. clocks so you cannot easily replace it with something else either.

Reply 11 of 12, by CoffeeOne

User metadata
Rank Oldbie
Rank
Oldbie
douglasfir wrote on 2024-02-13, 18:46:
Here is a photo of the RAMDAC guys... […]
Show full quote

Here is a photo of the RAMDAC guys...

Yes, only 256 colours.

Attachments

• Filename
    MUSCS00151-1.pdf
    File size
    1.27 MiB
    Downloads
    18 downloads
    File license
    Fair use/fair dealing exception

Reply 12 of 12, by Madao

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Oh... i have repair a Prolinea 4/66 with a fault.
Line jitter

pllscrott1.png
Filename
pllscrott1.png
File size
1.2 MiB
Views
File license

Internal PLL of GEN-DAC is bad.

I have no MU9C9760V spare.
I have placed MU9C9910V (i have ripped a dead board with this GEN-DAC ) into "Hudson"-Board (I called this board, because this board has cartoon "4-6-4 /2C2 steam locomotive" )
Compare with two datasheet: 9910 is register & pin compatible to 9760.... it looks good.

GEN-DAC swap -> Pictures is now fine

pllschrot2.png
Filename
pllschrot2.png
File size
588.99 KiB
Views
File license

But, it is a big surprise

pllschrot3.png
Filename
pllschrot3.png
File size
1.04 MiB
Views
File license

15/16/24bit color works on compaq prolinea4/66 board.
(checked with VESA BIOS extension tester aka VBETEST )