VOGONS

Reply 180 of 243, by Inhibit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
kirikl wrote on 2024-05-14, 16:48:

By the way. My battery sucks! It showing 2000+ mah and 00%
I would like to discharge it, but laptop dead and there is no way to make battery die naturally. I ordered another one. Good news they are cheap, bad news - probably the same cheap quality, I couldn't find some “brand” one

You could look through Tenergy's parts bin or browse Mouser if you'd like a somewhat qualified product. You're not going to find it listed application specific, of course.

Reply 182 of 243, by kirikl

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

It should! It's hardware driver. Check your bios for mouse support!

GA-5AX/k6-3+ 600mhz
XT Turbo 10mhz
HP TC4200 / NC6400
Sony Vaio PCG-SRX99 / PCG-505TR / C1 Picturebook
Compaq LTE Elite 4/75CXL / LTE 5000
Toshiba T1100+ / T3100e/40 / T3200SXC
Tandy 1400 LT / 1000HX
PB G4 1.33 / G3 300
iBook Cl 300

Reply 184 of 243, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

Real Time Clock, RTC news https://yiff.life/@nallwolf/112395318290646459

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 186 of 243, by BitWrangler

User metadata
Rank l33t++
Rank
l33t++

derp, completely missed it. It was just first time it showed up on my manual webscrapes so thought it was newer info.

Unicorn herding operations are proceeding, but all the totes of hens teeth and barrels of rocking horse poop give them plenty of hiding spots.

Reply 187 of 243, by Inhibit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

So after all my messing around with hardware antique and modern what finally worked for creating some clean CF card images was Virtual Machine Manager using QEMU/KVM. I did have to edit the raw drive post creation (changing the XML manually) to reference the physical drive rather than partition, but it works!

If anyone's interested I could do a quick how-to on that for Linux... might have other applications outside the Pocket-386 as well I'd guess.

Reply 188 of 243, by jakfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Nice work, sounded like a hassle to figure out. I wonder if ghost64.exe would work in Linux/WINE:

REMOVED

Ghost64.exe does work in Win10 and I used the the stock .gho in an empty 1.0 Extreme cd and I was surprised that it worked without complaint.

Last edited by DosFreak on 2024-05-24, 21:54. Edited 1 time in total.

Reply 189 of 243, by kagamma

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I personally install everything via 86Box and save it in a raw image, then flash it onto the CF card using balenaEtcher.

I just tried to set up a serial Wi-Fi adapter following the oldnet guidelines, and man I really hate all these dongles. I need to shrink them down, starting with the mouse first.

Attachments

Reply 190 of 243, by jakfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I agree totally. The form factor goes by the wayside. Aside from the burden of cables, it seems that you did get on-line and yea for that. I found that after starting microweb and getting the prompt for display, if I choose the letter before the suggested one (h?), once 68k.news starts, I can press Fn2 and make white text on black screen, more readable in my opinion. I have both Win95 and WFWG desktop/colors set up the same way.

For further on-line adventures, telnetting to https://lynx.scramworks.net/ allows lynx browsing and most websites (that don't complain about java) come up okay. The leaner, the better: m.cnn.com, text.npr.org, etc

Reply 191 of 243, by radiounix

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank
Inhibit wrote on 2024-05-16, 17:25:

So after all my messing around with hardware antique and modern what finally worked for creating some clean CF card images was Virtual Machine Manager using QEMU/KVM. I did have to edit the raw drive post creation (changing the XML manually) to reference the physical drive rather than partition, but it works!

If anyone's interested I could do a quick how-to on that for Linux... might have other applications outside the Pocket-386 as well I'd guess.

https://theinstructionlimit.com/installing-ms … -to-ide-adapter

I followed these instructions, and they actually worked for me. Created a bootable CF with CDU DOS 7.X. Actually quicker and easier than it looks.

Reply 193 of 243, by jakfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

It's been a life saver for browsing on old kit. I think it's the last telnet for lynx out there.

Have you found any 8-bit serial-to-wifi adapters that fit directly into the port? They seem to be out of stock, but I'm not even sure what I'm looking for.

Reply 194 of 243, by jakfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Better news on the usb front. After the FreddyV magic cited in this thread: https://forum.vcfed.org/index.php?threads/poc … 0/#post-1380520 my 4gb Verbatim store-n-go works in DOS, WFWG, and Win95 without complaint. No more clumsy protrusions from the side. As for mitigating clumsy protrusions in the back, this looks really intriguing: https://x.com/RetroTechChris/status/1782110544024977566

Anyone know where to buy one of those? They seem out of stock but I was hoping for a knock-off.

Reply 195 of 243, by Inhibit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakfish wrote on 2024-05-19, 15:14:

https://x.com/RetroTechChris/status/1782110544024977566

Anyone know where to buy one of those? They seem out of stock but I was hoping for a knock-off.

The PicoGUS? I'm not sure where the WiFi network support for it is unless I'm blind. My searches turn up nothing relevant and I don't see anything on the GitHub faq/readme.

I picked up mine at VCF East. Also ran into Chris on his way in, oddly.

Reply 196 of 243, by jakfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

Hi, @Inhibit. From the cited X tweet, it would seem he's on-line, no? He's firing up Microweb. But I agree, I'm confused as well; there doesn't seem to be any wifi instruction. I know with the tindy-sold serial-to-wifi RS232 adapter, I had to flash a new firmware to use microweb, retro-proxy, etc. Works in my Omnibook and the P386.

But with the PicoGUS, I'm lost. I wish I didn't suck so much at hardware...

Reply 197 of 243, by Inhibit

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank
jakfish wrote on 2024-05-19, 21:43:

But with the PicoGUS, I'm lost. I wish I didn't suck so much at hardware...

Looks like it to me too. And I'm glad it's not just me not seeing an obvious way to WiFi the PicoGUS. Perhaps someone could 😵?) at Retrotech Chris. Or maybe someone familiar with the project will chime in with the answer.

Reply 198 of 243, by myne

User metadata
Rank Member
Rank

Google picogus ne2000
I found a few things discussing it working but no software.

Things I built:
Mechwarrior 2 installer for Windows 10/11 Re: A comprehensive guide to install and play MechWarrior 2 on new versions on Windows.
Dos+Windows 3.11 auto-install iso template (for vmware)
Script to backup Win9x\ME drivers from a working install

Reply 199 of 243, by jakfish

User metadata
Rank Newbie
Rank

I realize that the sophisticated users here have figured out ways to back up the cf. The easiest way I've found is to backup/restore your custom/stock install with ghost, but ghost32.exe. Since my Win10 is 64-bit, I made the incorrect assumption to use ghost64.exe

Ghost64.exe doesn't work; it coughs up bad sector errors and not even the stock will boot. Backup with ghost32.exe and restore is fine, custom or stock, so far--even with faster 2gb cf's.

Last edited by jakfish on 2024-05-20, 01:05. Edited 1 time in total.